SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Favorite Blueberry Muffins

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

I have been saving Blueberry Muffin recipes from everywhere for a very long time, and decided NOW was the time for determining which recipe was my favorite. After looking them all over and trying to decide if I should include lemon, bananas or another type of berry with the blueberries, I stumbled upon this browned butter version. I have to say...This is IT; the rock star recipe for using up those blueberries in my freezer. The browned butter and the brown sugar in the recipe adds a depth of flavor that's been missing in every other blueberry muffin I've ever tasted. Because every recipe I try could use some type of alteration it seems, after making my own personal adaptations I'm sharing it with you. Trust me...you want to try these!

Browned Butter Blueberry Muffins

Adapted from Joy the Baker

Muffins

14 Tablespoons unsalted butter

2/3 cup buttermilk

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups fresh blueberries

3 T. flour

Streusel

6 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 cup all-purpose flour

7 tablespoons sugar

1. Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two muffin pans with paper or foil liners.

2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Keep a close eye. Remove from heat.

3. Whisk buttermilk, egg, yolk and vanilla until combined. Add the brown butter and stir together.

4. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk and butter mixture with the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. Scoop the batter with a medium size scoop, dividing the batter among muffin cups.

5. Sprinkle the flour over the blueberries until the berries are evenly coated. Adding 6-7 blueberries to the batter; scoop more batter with the smallest scoop, topping the muffin with 2-3 blueberries, and streusel, if desired.

6. Streusel: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the cups.

7. Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (or with moist crumbs), about 24-25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes approximately 2 dozen muffins

Comments (9)