SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave120

A/C ductwork condensation problems with only certain vents

dave120
11 years ago

Hello all, I added an A/C air handler and ductwork in my attic when I added on to our house about 5 years ago. I have a hydronic heating system and a lower ceiling in our basement that wouldnâÂÂt work well for adding ductwork. I am trying to figure out why only certain ducts in my attic are getting condensation in them. I live in MN and the winters are cold so every fall, since I installed the A/C system I have had issues with condensation so as each year passed I have taken measures to prevent this from happening. I have plastic bags of insulation I stuff up each vent which is at least a foot or more of insulation, all my ductwork is rigid and has R-10 insulation covering it. I also have round discs I cut from Reflectix material to place into the opening and then push the round vent hood up into place. I also have insulation I put into garbage bags, so they were more flat, and put those up into my 3 returns, then used the window plastic shrink wrap on the outside of the returns to seal them shut. I have even gone to the trouble of plugging up the drain tubing coming out of the house to prevent any other moisture from entering this system. I finally thought I had taken care of this issue this last year but for some reason 2 supply vents and 1 possibly 2 returns had signs of condensation either on the bags of insulation or the bathroom which I can see the water clinging where the 90 degree elbow turns downward. The 2 supply vents and 1 of those returns are in my master bedroom suite which of course is the addition but all of the ductwork was added at the same time. So what is going on? Do I need to put that window sealing plastic on the outside of all my round plastic supply vents? I realize now that it was a bad idea to add this in my attic but are there any other ideas out there that I am not thinking of to prevent condensation from forming? The older part of the house had leaking vents also until I added the insulation bags, since then those havenâÂÂt had any moisture problems.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz