SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elixir75

Summer Cooling Issues - lots of details inside - help needed

elixir75
10 years ago

I live in a 2 story townhome with units attached on both sides. It was built in 2007, but I bought it 2.5 years ago. I live in north texas and for the past two summers, the AC just can't keep up. The system only gets down to 78F only at night and only if we aren't cooking. During the day, it struggles to get below 80F. All bedrooms are upstairs.

There are two systems. The system for upstairs is 2 ton. The system for downstairs is 1.5 ton.

Some things that may be helpful to know:

1) Manual J tests indicate both units are undersized by .5 ton each (I need a 2 ton and a 2.5 ton).

2) The condensers are misinstalled. They got switched so that both condensers are operating with the wrong air handlers.

3) Both units have a single return for each. The returns are both upstairs and are apparently undersized. Since both are upstairs, they really support each other. There is no supply vent near the thermostat upstairs.

I've been presented with three different options from three different contractors:

a) Upgrade both units by .5 ton. Add a supply in the hallway at the top of the stairs (same hallway where the upstairs thermostat is - ceilings are tall and hallway is very open). Add a return and supply in the master bedroom (there's only one supply in this large, west facing room).

b) Replace the 2 ton currently running upstairs with a 3 ton and move the 2 ton in place of the 1.5 ton. (In other words, buy one 3 ton system and make better use of the existing 2 ton).

c) Replace only the downstairs system so that there are 2x 2-ton systems. This contractor feels that this is the only way to keep humidity down. He seems to think that bigger upgrades will result in high humidity.

I'm inclined to go with option b plus add a return and two supplies as suggested from option a.

Will this size unit result in high humidity? Will skipping the additional return(1x) and supplies(2x) make for airflow bottlenecks?

This post was edited by elixir75 on Mon, May 13, 13 at 14:43

Comments (9)