SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnner1999

need help understanding some issues - central or ductless?

johnner1999
16 years ago

Hello again - I have been reading through some older posts but I wanted to ask a new questions...

We have a raised ranch style home in CT (2 floors - one above ground and the basement half exposed) its about 1400sf on the main floor and the living portion of the basement is 250-350sf. We have oil fired radiant heat at the moment.

Since we bought our 25 year old home 10 years ago we have been installing window mounted ac units. Besides the look and hassle of installing them each year; we are tired of using them. From having to "bug" proof the windows to some strange smells which effect my severe allergies and wear and tear on the window sills and frames from being installed. We wanted to look at a more permeant cooling solution.

It appears from talking to a couple heating and cooling people (via the yellow pages) that they all want to install a traditional central ac system. I was calling actually for a mini-split system.

Mini-Splt aka ductless:

The reasons for this was we liked the fact that we could control the temp in each room like we do with our window units. Simple install at least from my point of view not that I know what I'm doing LOL.

Central system:

This does make sense - since it would cool the whole house! But we don't have a useable attic and not really sure how they would be able to do any work in it. Which leads to our two biggest issues! If you have an air handler in the attic we are really concerned about water leaks from it. Besides the damage by the leak; it would be a breading ground of mold no? And then the ducts - we have none now and not sure how they could get ducts into our main living room (vaulted - no attic above that half of the house) not to mention our finished basement.

How worried should we be about the water issue with the air handler? My wife and I are both heavily allergic to seasonal alleges and mold is what of them. I figured the ductless units we could just "dust" the opening or air vents and all cleaned. where-as the ducts would also hold dust and pollen - no?

Next up as an issue is overall cost we need to keep this in an inexpensive mindset :-)

We use four windows units now - 2-6,000 BTU units master bed and den, 1-5,000 BTU basement and 1-10,000BTU in our main/open living-room and kitchen area. During the summer we leave them on almost 24/7. They are newer and have digital readouts and are set at a mild temp. Technically they don't run all the time but for the most part they are on in either AC mode or just fan. And they do an OK job - yes it could be cooler; nope we don't have each bedroom cooled as its just the two of us. But the doors to each room is left open. Do you think going to a split unit or central unit would do a better job and maybe use "less" electricity?

I'm looking forward to your feedback and suggestions

thank you in advance,

John

Comments (10)