SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paddykk

Linear Drains 101 - Help me understand what I need to look for

paddykk
3 years ago

Reading everything on linear drains to learn as much as I can. Any good link for a lay man to learn about linear drains?

We are building a modern home, so we were thinking of linear drains for our curb less showers (instead of the center tiny round or square drains in the shower - which have worked beautifully for the past 30 years and will for the next 30!).

First time in the market for a linear drain. Trying to figure things out about linear drains! My head is spinning!!

Do all linear drains drain into a central circular hole? So will there be standing water under the grate where I cannot see? Do linear drains have a sloped ridge under the top grate - so there is no water standing? Some photos I saw have a linear drain/grate and then a 4" square adjacent to it - Do all linear drains have that 4" square next to them?

Reliable manufacturers and brands that I should buy so I don't buy a bad brand or a knock off?

How do I test if my tile guys knows what he is doing? If he knows all the correct vocabulary and knows how to make sure that water is not standing under the linear drain where I cannot see etc.

Read a few posts and a lot of words in my head! "Butech Edging"; "Schluter tile profile"; "Nobel Sealant 150"; "IAMPO"; "UPC"; "flood test"; "pre-sealed grout Mapei"; "ACO Linear drain"; "tapered trim from Blanke".

Lots more to learn!! I know linear drains is what we designed for in our current build but wonder if it is too late to switch to the central circular drain that I'm used to for the past 30 years!

Comments (12)