SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

Panko - Do You Love It or Hate It!!!!!!!!!!!!

User
11 years ago

I first time I tried Panko I didn't like it. Couldn't understand why it was so popular. That was at least ten years ago.

I decided to follow Renee's (ReneeKY) seven year rule (a few years late). Basically the rule is, to try something again that you don't like, and you might be pleasantly surprised. It hasn't worked for me with carrots, but I like clams and I didn't like them for my first 40 years.

Anyway, I made chicken fingers the other night, using Panko and I must confess that I dislike Panko even more than I did the first time.

I much prefer homemade fresh breadcrumbs. I like the crispy texture and the flavour that fresh breadcrumbs contribute to the finished dish.

So, where do you stand on Panko? Love It or Hate it?

~Ann

Comments (73)

• Lars
    11 years ago

I love Panko and use it when making tempura, especially shrimp. I also use it to coat eggplant slices that I saute to make Eggplant Parmiggiana. I pretty much only use it when frying, but since I got a Cool Daddy, I deep fry fairly regularly - like twice a month or so. I use Panko on fried okra, which is probably my favorite fried food. I still use cornmeal in the recipe, but the Panko softens the cornmeal a bit.

Lars

• John Liu
    11 years ago

I use panko exclusively for deep frying.

The crust turns out crispier and lighter. Since the panko crumbs have a more spiky shape, they stick out from the egg wash or whatever you use to provide "adhesion", and deep frying produces a more textured, sort of fluffy, nibble.

With standard bread crumbs, they are often too small, like grains of sand, which can produce a smooth, armor-like coating.

Not sure about breading something and then pan frying or baking it, as I don't do that much if ever.

I imagine that you can make your own crumbs of any desired size, but processing to more or less fineness. In that case, presumably a homemade crumb can be made large-sized, and work like panko.

• Related Discussions

Do you love or hate your glass shower walls?

Q

Comments (16)
    I love it! I won't lie...they are a bit more work, however I wouldn't change my decision. Our bathroom is extreamly small and the frameless glass shower just opens the space up so much. Ours: - Plain glass - No "shower guard" treatment (although I did buy an aftermarket product that I put on the glass to help repel water...similar to RainX) - We have semi-hard water (no softener...yet!) - We both squeegee every time we shower (if we didn't ours probably would be spotted with water marks) - Timing - never timed myself, but 4-5 minutes sounds about right. Husband is quicker, but I have to admit I am more detailed...taking the extra time to wipe down with a "ShamWow' type of towel. It may be a minute more but the shower just looks "clean" when all the chrome fixtures are shiny! - Our shower has marble floor so we use very mild cleaning products - We use liquid soap (this is very important!) We have had our shower for 1 year. No issues although we did get some mineral build up along the plastic strip at the bottom of the shower door. I just took the plastic strip off used some liquid bar keepers friend and it was as good as new. Once we get the water softener I think that issue will hopefully go away.
    ...See More

Tell Me about your garden. What do you love? What do you hate?

Q

Comments (1)
    Um, this forum is about remodeling. Check out the Garden Forums for dozens of great garden topics. Click on "Forums" on the top off the page.
    ...See More

Need advice on buying a pet door. What do you love/hate about yours?

Q

Comments (23)
    Out pet door will be accessed on the inside from built in cabinets that are actually the pet crate. So critters cant really get too far :) Sounds like an excellent design. A skunk's influence reaches great distances. Tell me about it. We have a significant skunk problem in our neighborhood, and I'm talking about a suburb with big lots, not the country. Do you know that skunk stink can wake you from a sound sleep? I worry most about my dog tangling with a skunk -- She's a wild puppy (Husky mix), and she has no sense of danger -- I think that's the most likely problem. In reality, skunks don't want to come into your house -- your porch maybe, if you've left out food, but they're afraid of a place where people are around. I have heard of a few people in my city having racoons come through the door at night to raid the kitchens and dog bowls. Yeah, raccoons have little fear of people -- they'll show you their teeth and let you know their plans for you. Last summer our chimney cap blew off in a storm, and a raccoon mama "set up shop" with her babies. For a couple days I thought I was hearing a bird trapped in the chimney. I climbed into the fireplace, stuck my head way up there, opened the vent and YIKES, I was nose to nose with a teenaged-racccoon. You know those guys are the #1 rabies-carrier, right? Let me tell you, I moved FAST. I ordered some male raccoon urine online ($30 + shipping for a tiny bottle & ultra-smelly) and shoved a soaked rag up into the vent. I waited until early evening so mama would be comfortable taking the babies out in the twilight -- they evacuated quite quickly, and we got busy fixing our chimney cap. Once a skunk came in through the dryer vent. We had a mama chipmunk come into our dryer vent (that's what we get for having ivy growing up the side of our house). We ran the dryer and baked her and the babies. We just about died from the smell. This is a very good reason to insist that your dryer is placed on an exterior wall -- because our dryer vent was so short, it was easy/cheap for us to replace the vent and "throw away the problem"; had it been on an interior wall, we would've had to live with the stench until we could get a pro out. Trust me, the skunk smell is evil, but it is better than something dead. I have seen ones that only open with a special sensor on your dog/cats collar which prevent critters from getting in. I have no experience with these, but they sound like a great idea.
    ...See More

Do you love or hate your countertop over the washer and dryer?

Q

Comments (6)
    Servicers hate boxed-in laundry appliances and may charge more for repair jobs. Some may refuse to do service unless the homeowner removes the appliance for access. Keep in mind that proper diagnosis/testing to determine a problem and post-repair testing to confirm the fix requires the appliance be connected to power, and often water supply/drain for a washer. The machine would need to be taken to a garage or patio with water and electric available or to an off-site location if the boxing-in impedes power/water access in the laundry room with the machine pulled far enough out of the boxing for service.
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Love it as a coating for chicken or fish and it's great for adding crispiness to oven bake things. The price is isn't bad here although the only thing I don't like are the additives.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

I feel about Panko the way I feel about cruises and for the same reason -TV. Those of you of the senior persuasion may remember a network TV show called Quincy, M.E. Jack Klugman played Quincy, a LA coroner. Every time he went on a cruise, passengers started dying from some rare disease or there was a botulism epidemic from a to-be-determined food on the buffet, etc. The show ran for seven seasons so cruises were the theme of multiple episodes.

We have been on various types of vacations in many countries of the world but every time we talk about or investigate booking an ocean cruise, those TV shows come back to make us abort our cruise plans.

So what does this have to do with Panko? At least ten years ago, there was a TV show that detailed the Japanese Panko manufacturing process from start to finish. It seemed incredibly unnatural to me and up on a shelf (in my mind, at least) with vegetables sprayed with DDT or carbon monoxided ground beef. I vowed to just stay away from Panko.

But after several years (probably seven), I relented and ordered fried shrimp coated with Panko from my favorite Florida seafood restaurant or chowed down on fried crab cakes enrobed in Panko at a friend's party. It tasted OK but not much different than bread crumbs.

I still haven't bought any Panko for home use so I guess you could put me in the "none of the above" category. And, at this point, I think I could be persuaded to go on a cruise if I won one in a contest.

This post was edited by ruthanna on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 19:30

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Panko and bread crumb both should taste the same. Both are made with bread. The difference is in the texture and panko uses only the white part of bread.

If you view panko and regular bread crumb under a microscope, you will understand why panko is so much more crispy for deep frying. Panko has thinner and more airy structure to give the crispy mouth feel.

If you are not happy with Panko that you have, try a different brand. There are many inferior pankos.

dcarch

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

My thinking is that it works best on foods which don't have long cooking times.

Jimster, I think you're onto something. Also, for those who think it hurts to eat, I seem to recall recently seeing a recipe that called for a quick whir in the FP. Might be worth a shot. As dcarch said, there's a definite difference in texture from bread crumbs, and I imagine that would remain noticeable even if very slightly ground down.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lars, I've never had Tempura made with breadcrumbs. Only with a very light batter.

Jim, I think that breading , regardless of whether it is panko or homemade breadcrumbs, works best on foods that fry quickly.

I used the Panko on chicken fingers. Same way that you bread. I did add a little fresh grated parmesan cheese to the crumbs, and I rubbed the chicken with fresh garlic. But I do the same when breading with fresh bread crumbs.

And I think that you actually pay more for Panko than I did. My box was 907 g. which is about 32 ounces. So based on your $2.45 for eight ounces, I didn't do too bad. And I have a friend who told me she loves Panko so I will pass the box on to her.

And I disagree with Dcarch. Although both are bread crumbs and only white for Panko, Panko is flavourless and homemade breadcrumbs do have a flavour of whatever bread you use for the crumbs which I think contributes to the flavour to the meat/fish. Tasted plain it is just basically tasteless. Probably made from bread without salt added.

I wouldn't say that Panko was crispier, just that the crumb was harder and as Cloudy mentioned "sharp". Anyway not a texture that I like.

~Ann

• annie1992
    11 years ago

and here I thought it was just me. i don't love 'em or hate 'em, I'm relatively indifferent. Here an 8 ounce box cost me $2.85 and since I bake bread regularly I nearly always have a piece of bread that needs to be something before it gets moldy. So, into the food processor it goes for bread crumbs, I seem to have an endless supply and I don't have to pay nearly $6 a pound for them either.

I have used them on baked shrimp and they were OK, but nothing to shout about, and I find that I tend to season food more heavily when I use panko because my homemade bread crumbs add flavor where panko does not.

My homemade bread crumbs come in a variety of flavors, I might have some Farmhouse White, some Honey Wheat, the end piece of a cheese loaf, whatever. They all go in the freezer in a ziplock freezer bags and I label them so I know what I'm using, some things just don't taste right with rye or cheese bread, LOL.

If I'm making something that requires a certain flavor, I'll make bread crumbs especially for that but I nearly always have crumbs in the freezer that I can take out and use, toast or don't toast, depending on what I need.

I have a box of panko that's been in the pantry for nearly a year, it keeps getting shoved to the back. I suppose I ought to find it and throw it away.

Annie

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

Put me down in the "Like" column. I don't think that Panko and breadcrumbs are always interchangeable.

• TobyT
    11 years ago

I like it because we are trying to avoid fried foods and it gives a crispy, fried texture to things baked in the oven. I do't find it sharp, just crispy. I do the flour/egg/panko routine, with the panko seasoned with whatever strikes my fancy, then spritz with misto and bake. I have easy access to many, many Asian markets and stores, so Panko is cheap and plentiful here.

• tress21
    11 years ago

I think the brand of panko makes a HUGE difference. If you can find Japanese brands (like Shirakiku or Orchid brands) from an Asian store, they are very light and flaky and make superlative tempura, chicken nuggets, and fish. But the two times I've tried other brands (Trader Joe's and an expensive organic grocery store brand), they were like little rocks of overbaked bread. Just awful. I threw them away.

I have to keep panko in the freezer if I'm going to store it awhile, or I think it develops a rancid taste.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I use Japanese panko (maybe that's the difference?) and we love it on oven baked fish fillets. We find it's nice and crispy, not sharp. This is despite having a ton of homemade bread crumbs in the freezer (which I use for other things).

• User
    11 years ago

I used to mix my spices with it but found that by putting spices in the egg mix the flavor is much more even.

• cynic
    11 years ago

I'm with Ann_t, I understood tempura by definition was a batter dip, not breaded. Live and learn.

I'm not sure I've ever actually had panko. I know I've never purchased any. I've thought about it several times, to try it out since I've heard so much from the TV "chefs" that maybe they're on to something and I like the thought of a lighter coating for some things. But I never think of it when I'm in the store and when I bread something I never have it so it's the vicious circle. And I don't believe in running to the store for one item if I'm out (sans beer). I'll usually make do without it.

I do suspect that the butterfly shrimp I've had at the restaurant were coated in Panko. They seem to have the look of it and seems like that is one thing many places would use with panko. I'm not overly impressed with it. It is crispy and sort of "snappy" ends on it ("snappy" referring to crispness or texture, not taste). Its one of the few breaded things I've considered peeling the breading off of to eat.

I've quit using breadcrumbs altogether in meatloaf. I dice up fresh bread. Heard the suggestion to tear bread rather than use crumbs and I really seem to like it since I started doing it that way. I dice it rather than tear it. The torn pieces were a bit too large a couple times, but still had a good taste and gave it a preferable texture. I will use some dry breadcrumbs in there additionally though only if it's too wet and needs to be firmed up a bit. Dang I'm in the mood for meatloaf!

• lowspark
    11 years ago

I don't love it or hate it. But I do keep some in the pantry and use it occasionally. Like mtnester, I always have leftover matzo meal from Passover so I usually use a mixture of the two, depending on what I'm making.

I do buy the Japanese brand at my grocery store, I don't remember what it's called now, but I do know that the price is much cheaper now than it used to be. I probably didn't pay more than a couple of dollars for a good sized bag. I remember the very first time, years ago, that I wanted to buy some and the price was ridiculous so I passed. I think that was at the beginning of its trendiness.

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

I don't care for Panko. I bought some not long ago for some particular recipe and I don't even remember what it was now.

When I fry chicken, I use self rising flour and buttermilk.

When I fry shrimp....also self rising flour and beaten eggs. I don't like a thick coating on them and the self rising flour (or some baking powder added to all purpose flour) makes them light and a little crunchy.

I like cracker meal for frying fish. You used to be able to get Nabisco cracker meal....came in a blue box...but I haven't seen it in ages. I also like it for frying oysters. Lately however, I have gone back to frying oysters in self rising flour too. I first had it that way about 45 years ago in Florida. it beats the heck out of frying them in corn meal, which is how most people fry them. I heard a guy on the radio just raving about a new restaurant and what he called "chicken fried" oysters. That is nothing new....at least not in this house. I don't double dip anything, except sometimes onion rings....so I like things fried but not a really thick coat that wants to come off the first bite you take.

11 years ago

I have always feel that cooking is not about taste, it is about getting the right texture. Follow the measurement in a recipe and you will get the right taste, but it will be lousy eating if you mess up the texture.

Panko gives great texture if done right.

Asian cooking has some amazing texture techniques.

If you want the greatest deep fried crispyness, check out the link.

I have been trying a long time and have not been able to come close.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful:

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Dcarch, that would be deep fried - what? Just curious.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Damn, DCarch, I hate having to disagree with you again, but...... I can't believe that you think that cooking isn't about "taste".

Of course it is about taste. Does texture contribute to taste? Or the enjoyment of eating certain foods? Of course. Something that tastes good, could have a texture that doesn't appeal. But then again, what doesn't appeal to me, might be very appealing to you or someone else. The same with taste. One person's taste is not the same as another. But I can guarantee that you won't ever find me saying OMG this texture is so good, so perfect, I don't care that it doesn't taste good.

Cooking is all about taste.

Just to clarify, there is no right or wrong answer to this thread. I just wondered whether more people here liked panko or didn't. Lots on both sides of the fence.

~Ann

11 years ago

Sorry Ann, I disagree that we disagree. LOL!

The first disagreement, I was talking about commercial plain bread crumb, and you were talking about home made seasoned bread crumb.

This "disagreement", I am talking about taste as in flavor (flavour), and you are talking about taste as in the overall eating experience, flavor + texture.

Warm ice cream taste the same as frozen ice cream (flavor-wise) but it is lousy eating because the texture is all wrong. Soggy french fries taste the same as crispy french fries.

Flavor (taste) is easier to achieve. Texture takes years of practice.

dcarch

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

A few years ago, I remember reading about the process of making panko. As I remember, the bread type batter is spun in threads in a big tub. It never was a loaf of bread, might explain the difference in texture.

There are some things that I make that I like to use panko on. The coating for crab cakes is the first that comes to mind, I use it on the outside but use regular bread crumbs in the crab mixture. I love the contrast in texture and the panko does double duty in that it gives a firmer crust. I keep a box of panko on hand just for the times I want the texture, knowing the flavor of the food will compensate for the lack of any flavor in the panko.

Cooking for me is all about flavor. I feel that texture is an important element to cooking but the flavor of the food is the overall most important factor. I use a very light tempura batter for some things, recently for a variety of vegetables. I saw a recipe for tempura that used rice flour and decided to give it a try.....yucky texture, bad flavor! I threw the rest of the rice flour away, won't make that mistake again.

Nancy

11 years ago

Let me put it in a different way, perhaps that would be more accurate of what I am trying to say.

Flavor is very important, as important as texture, but in the exercise of the act of cooking, relatively speaking, given the fact that digital information is seconds away from your finger tips, having the right recipe to have the right flavor is very easy; however, being able to achieve the right texture, it all has to do with the right techniques and skills, which takes much more than just reading a recipe.

A cake fails to rise has the same flavor as one that is beautifully baked.

dcarch

11 years ago

Posted by donna_loomis "Dcarch, that would be deep fried - what? Just curious."

I had it a few times in a Chinese restaurant. I was told what it was, but I don't remember. It was savory, and inside with a little meat and something. As you can see you just want to bite into one.

Melt in your mouth kind of crispiness. You will be most admired by your friends and family if you can achieve that heavenly texture.

dcarch

• jimster
    11 years ago

Coating for crab cakes is a great idea for using panko. In terms of the concept Dcarch is trying to express, panko crusted crab cakes would be superior to any I have had. I want to try that. Maybe salmon patties would be good made that way too.

Another good use for panko is in making pork katsu, a sort of Japanese schnitzel. Chicken katsu is another version. Come to think of it, panko would probably work well for wiener schnitzel.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

The way I view it: good ingredients + proper execution = good taste. Good taste is the end result rather than the starting point, and the achievement of a pleasurable texture is one of the methods of transporting us there.

• jimster
    11 years ago

Well said, Ruthanna.

This brings up a problem I have with recipes. Proper execution is such an important part of the equation, yet so very difficult to convey verbally.

Jim

11 years ago

"-----and the achievement of a pleasurable texture is one of the methods of transporting us there."

Absolutely.

Hard boiled egg, scrambled egg, poached egg, fried egg, -----same egg, different textures. Reading recipes will do you no good. Practice, practice and practice.

dcarch

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The texture is different and so is the flavour. A boiled egg tastes different than a fried egg, scrambled egg or a poached egg.

~Ann

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

We all have different cooking styles. I am an ingredient-driven cook. I went to the farmers' market this morning and came home with items that looked the best and were a good value. Now I have to figure out how to turn them into something that tastes and looks good.

(The looks good part is because my husband has lost 90+% of his senses of taste and smell so color and overall appearance assist in convincing him that what he's eating tastes fabulous.)

Some cooks may be recipe-driven, texture-driven, craving-driven, budget-driven, appliance-driven or so many other styles. In the high temperatures of mid-summer, I become a weather-driven cook in that I don't want to turn on the oven at all.

In the equation I posted above, I start on the ingredient side and work toward good taste and others start with the idea of a certain taste they want and then find ingredients and ways of preparation that will achieve it.

It's like those Management Style grids in the business world whose end result is to help understand that different styles can give equally positive results but with a different methodology.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ruthanna, I like your explanation.(and everything you make looks fabulous.)

Sometimes I shop for particular ingredients because I have an idea of what I want to cook and other times, especially in the summer when our farmers markets are open, I buy what looks good and I work around that.

~Ann

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

I've only tried it once... a few weeks ago, I RUINED 12 dollars worth of shrimp with it. I had trouble getting the panko to stick to the shrimp (just dipped them in eggs) and didn't like the texture at all. I cooked the shrimp in the halogen oven because I didn't want to fry, but that may have given better results. Give me some Vigo Italian seasoned bread crumbs or homemade bread crumbs any day instead. I'll never use panko again.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

Ruthanna, I think what you said about your husband shows that what's most important is up to the individual. A blind man wouldn't care much what the food looks like. For me, given two reasonably executed meals where I prefer the taste of one but the texture of the other, I'd typically choose the better tasting one. But yes, I'd take perfectly cooked french fries over delicious soggy ones. Looks takes a very distant third place. If I were to cook a beautiful meal that was both bad in taste and texture, I'd most likely snap a picture for WFD, then throw it out and head to McDonald's!

• homeimprovementmom
    11 years ago

I used Panko for th efirst time last night. I made pasta, broccoli, tossed with pan seared proscutto. I can't see the difference between Panko and say Progresso's bread crumbs in a canister. anyway, The pank was to be toasted in a skillet with garlic and chopped up leaks and sprinkled on top of the pasta mixture. I added some white truffle oil to the panko stirring it in with the garlic and leaks. It was a good addition to the pasta dish. But, I am not sure how it differs from regular ol breads crumbs made with dried out bread or Progresso. Anyone care to educate on the finer tastes between Panko, bread crumbs and Progresso? Basically, I know if I used Rye bread, the tasts would be different but this is just seems to be say, wheat bread and a bit of seasoning. Anyway Panko is like in a lot of recipes this past month.

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

I don't care for it. Sharp is a great way to put it and just too expensive to me for what it is.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Whatever your reasons for cooking Ruthanna, your meals always look SO good!!! Just looking at them, your husband has to know they taste good.

• lakeguy35
    11 years ago

Evil Jessy sent me some years ago as I couldn't find in my small store when I lived up at the lake. It was for a baked chicken recipe. I still use it for that and will sub it for bread crumbs for a topping on a potatoes casserole dish if I don't have bread crumbs on hand. I don't love it or hate, lol, guess I thinks it's okay.

David

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I can't distinguish between taste and texture that much. "delicious soggy ones", french fries, wouldn't taste good to me at all if they were soggy.
    Breaded fish that had a wonderful taste would be yucky if the texture was soft and not crisp.

• sheshebop
    11 years ago

I like Panko. However, I only use it on Roger's (hubby) fresh caught fish. Can't say I love it or hate it, but I do like it on his fish.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I'm a person who is very cognizant of texture, but it still has to taste good, I don't care how wonderfully light or crunchy or whatever something is, if it doesn't taste good I'm not eating.

On the flip side, some things feel so icky (like Jello) that I don't care if it's the best tasting thing this side of heaven, I'm not eat it.

So, I have to have both, a pleasing texture and good taste. However, I don't think panko has a particularly pleasing texture, it's not offensive but it's not wonderful either.

The thing that matters least to me is appearance. It matters little to me if everything on my plate is a shade of beige or the loaf of bread is misshapen or the shrimp is arranged only in groups containing odd numbers or whatever. I don't want it all piled up on top of each other though, as was the fashion in the recent past.

Sherry, Roger's freshly caught bluegill or walleye could hold its own no matter what it's breaded with, yum.

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

I still like panko for pork, chicken and fish ... and tempura made with seltzer water or beer (think onion rings here). Several years have passed since this thread .. are y'all still set in your ways?

It should be good for 'something'-on-a-stick at the state fair, too.

^_^

• User
    5 years ago

Nope! Tried several times. Overpriced stale breadcrumbs.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I used to buy panko for shrimp and it was actually very good, but recently the only brands I can find (off brands) are just downright nasty. As Sherry said, stale breadcrumbs. Not at all what I'd found in the past.

• Louiseab
    5 years ago

Love it.

• gyr_falcon
    5 years ago

Looking over this old thread, I was surprised at the number of on-the-fencers. I'm one, too. I don't mind good panko, but I also don't prefer it. I never use it in my own recipes.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I make my own breadcrumbs too. I dry them and keep in the freezer. I made some large ones once, to imitate Panko and breaded something. We didn't like them at all. I thought I was going to cut the roof of my mouth.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Dislike panko coating.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

It has it's place. We use it particularly for topping cheese casseroles (Mac & cheese, scalloped turnips) and saute the crumbs in butter before topping the caserole. Also use for floured, egg dipped pork cutlets.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

It's tolerable on top of green bean casserole ... 'tolerable' being the operative word

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

I can't help but wonder (given my past experience) if panko crumbs are different according to brand? When I was using it with shrimp it added a wonderful crunch but was so light in texture. It also looked very different - ultra thin, flat, and larger than regular bread crumbs. That which I find now is like thick cracker crumbs, small in size like cracker crumbs, heavy and adding only a cracker crumb crunch - not something I enjoy except on a broccoli casserole as others have mentioned. For the longest time I kept my panko crumb container to try to find it again - but eventually tossed it when I couldn't. I don't think I could make them myself and mimic the lightness.