SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinca_gw

Post sixty Leggings fashion for you?

Are my fashionable fifty and beyond GW buddies into leggings ?
I'm over sixty and buying.... literally.....into this style, but haven't actually stepped out in the new look. Too hot here still. I'm slim in hips and legs, and find it flattering, and oh so comfortable. Below is from WSJ article.
Are my "certain age" GW buddies wearing leggings this fall?

"Q: Could you tell me the difference between leggings, tights and jeggings? When does one wear which one and with what? I'm a 66-year-old woman who wears a size 14 to 16. I love the look of leggings, etc., but I wonder if I've aged out?

�C.A., Lewisville, N.C

A: With some tweaking, leggings and their various iterations can be adapted for all ages and most figures....."

Comments (58)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I love the look of leggings and a flowy (non clingy) tunic but I think my body type may be the worst for that look, so I avoid it. I'm short and pear shaped with saddlebags (ooh, don't I sound lovely?) and tunics generally cut right across mid thigh, accentuating my widest part. I wonder if I could pull off a similar look with a longer tunic -- almost like a short dress that came a couple inches above the knee, but then I might as well just wear tights?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Just so long as you all know that leggings are not pants, right?

And just because you can put them on, doesn't mean they fit.

Quite a few years ago, I was wearing an earlier version of leggings and then I had to quit and go back to jeans because jeans tell you when your weight is going up...stretchy bottoms don't. So now I only wear them when I'm exercising as they provide support to my legs.

• Related Discussions

50's fashion dolls

Q

Comments (13)
    Sylvia, that case was custom made to fit the wall. I also had four other double cabinets full. This photo is of my Vintage Barbies, I also had 300 MIB Barbies all through the house. The custom made cabinet is now filled with Christmas displays, a Christmas Village, a giant polar beard with a santa on his back, lots of misc santas,etc. and Porcelain repros that people bring to me. I buy them for $10 to $20 dollars just to fill the cabinet with "pretty". Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Yes...here it is: "Faron's Fashion-Police"!! ;-)

Q

Comments (177)
    I've been out of town at a conference, where I've had plenty of opportunity to observe people's dress and what looks good and not so good on certain body types. Some people just have the ability to look really well put together regardless of their age or size. OTOH, there were people with rockin' bodies, some who have to be sure to wear everything tight to show it off. I don't care for that either. This one lady with fabulous arms was only wearing Athleta dresses from what they looked like to me. I do think it's easier for men than for women. Men's clothes are also more standard sizing, but I've known big and tall men who looked great. Saw a comedy show last night where the classic comedian George Wallace joked: "Ladies, animal prints are great, but if you are larger than the the animal it represents, maybe it's not for you."
    ...See More

Fashion designers you used to love and wear...

Q

Comments (47)
    I did buy one label. My BF in junior high and I went to Mervyn's so we could buy genuine Sonny and Cher labeled outfits. I bought the pants in the picture. But was a petite little hard belly and I rocked them with the mating halter style tummy tickler they came with. The low cut hip hugger pants and top were bright yellow daisy print. The eyelet was white with a bright hot pink/fuchsia velvet ribbon at the knee. The top had the same eyelet at the bottom with the ribbon. Wish I still had the outfit . It would be worth something today. My friend bought a more conservative outfit in turquoise. It was in a poorboy (vertical ribs) knit with large bells and a babydoll top. The pic is not me. I was a lot smaller than that girl. I just found the pic on the net to show the pants.
    ...See More

What's the most impractical fashion item you own?

Q

Comments (57)
    I bought a linen suit at a boutique shop in Chelsea, London when I was walking around the last time I was there. A bit pricey at £250, but cut was stylish, it fit me nicely. So I was so eager to wear it when I came back. It was summer too, so the light linen would have been perfect, I thought. It was my first day to go back to work after the vacation and I put it on. It didn't look right ar all, as professional attire. No lining! What?! How did I not notice that? The collar, which I found so cute when I bought it, didn't lay right. The whole thing didn't work as a suit. And it doesn't work as casual wear either, because of the cut of the jacket. So, it hangs in my closet as a reminder not to buy work clothes when you're in a leisurely mood on a vacation.
    ...See More
  • Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I don't wear leggings, actually haven't been in a skirt or dress for years. Am in my early 70s and Jeggings are my go to. The ones I wear are detailed exactly like jeans and a bit heavier denim stretch fabric. Don't call me cheap but they are Walmart's $9 ones and come in any color wanted. These fit me perfect waist and length, comfort plus.

I never wanted to be the old lady in purple polyester elastic waists with wide bottoms. And don't look at my bare legs, knees have fallen...but still have a decent shape all around hidden under clothing.

Agree with wearing longer tops, at least to the bottom of front zipper area if you are older. My PT commented on how great I always look and I'm never dressed up.....nice. She said she wore some jeggings with a short top and her husband whispered that her underwear was showing through the thin fabric. There are some very different options to consider.

Those pics are so telling. What works for some is just not there for another. But if you haven't tried them, just do it once.

Link for WM jeggings. Guess they aren't on sale now, but are in stores to look at and a good variety to shop if not wanting to buy at WM. The cheaper ones are thinner material. I like the fact that mine meet my waist. Worth looking at or checking other sites/stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeggings

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I am like Sue and Violet. The look wasn't flattering on me when I was 25. Sure isn't going to look better now that I'm 50.

My figure is that I am short, with thick thighs, and a slim waist and trim above the waist. This is about the worst possible look for me. Tight where I'm "fat" and loose where I'm "skinny". I would also say that I don't look good in tunic tops either. I have a curvy "duck butt" that they stick to instead of hanging from the shoulders.

So nope, I wear them to the gym. I do think if I lost some weight and the top would hang the same in front as in back, that they might be an OK look. But fact is, I have thick thighs even when I'm at my ideal weight.

I do wear slim jeans, and for me, having the cuff of the pant not stuck to my leg makes the whole think work much better.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love leggings and the new slim pants and jeans as well and I am in my mid 60's. I don't wear them all the time but as the work-place has become more casual most days, it is fine. I am tall, thin, athletic type body and can pull it off, but I still prefer long tops or sweaters over the bottoms and appropriate footwear too for the occasion. Annie has perfect examples or what is just so wrong. At any age, IMO.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Apparently it's something else oldsters have in common with youngsters...no hair, no teeth, nap times, diapers...

How much time you spend in elastic waist pants...

---------

According to a recent study commissioned by Projectophile, experts have determined that the percentage of time spent in elastic waist pants is greatest in the beginning and end of life. For women, there may also be a brief spike in elastic pants in their peak child-bearing years:

• User
    9 years ago

Yikes, quite a few of the pics Annie posted are not leggins but hosiery! Either way, I agree they're not pants.

I think they can look nice, and if you like them you should wear them.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I've never really been a fan of this look. I just think of the 80's/Madonna, etc. Even the styles on this webpage are not me.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to wear leggings over 40

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Annie several of those pics are hose/tights, etc. and not leggings. But, I get your point.

If you have the right body type for the leggings, wear the right tops, etc. then I think it's fine. I will say that I do see many more younger women wearing them than the above 50 crowd.

IMHO, the tunic type tops look best with leggings. Mid thigh. Your top should definitely cover the crotch!!

For me personally? I am short and curvy. In trying on a tunic and leggins, I think they make my upper half look bigger (loose fitting over very slim). I have some slim pants that are a heavier (ponte) fabric that look better on me.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I'm not at 50 or beyond yet, but I just wanted to say that I love the look of leggings with a long tunic or sweater. I don't typically wear them, I don't feel they flatter me very well. I have a thin body type, but I've just never felt comfortable in them, I wish I did, I love the look.

I say go for it! I don't think there is an age cutoff! :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

leggings...hose...it's all potentially bad, especially if you don't have a full-length mirror.

{{gwi:1520897}}

Can you tell I'm not a fan, regardless of age? If you have really thin limbs and a small butt that the properly lengthed tunic won't cling to, I guess it can be flattering, but certainly not for someone with my shape....

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yippee! I'm always late catching up with fashion, but at this delayed date you've all convinced to jump aboard the legging train. Loving it!
    Marti

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

And as one caption I saw of this picture...somewhere a camel is missing a toe....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Now here's a pretty way to wear leggings...if I could, I would, but I can't, so I won't.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

I can't believe it, I thought people burned those ugly things 20 years ago! Hard to find any style less attractive than low rise jeans. I am getting tired of seeing people's thongs and "tramp stamp" tattoos, but I am not interested in vpl either.

I think leggings look tacky at any age, except in exercise or dance class. I didn't wear them then and I won't wear them now.

I have great legs, so I wear skirts!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

My joke with DH is,"I guess they didn't look at themselves from the back."

Important to view yourself from all angles.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Ok I have a question.... I have a top that comes down low and doesn't look good with any of my jeans or pants. It seems like leggings (something complete smooth) would be the only answer. I actually looked at leggings today at Kohls. There are many different styles not just those thin ones posted above. I didn't buy any but thinking about it.

• RocksAndRoses
    9 years ago

I think slim, knit pants can look nice as long as they aren't skin tight or see thru.

Does your tunic work worn unbuttoned over a solid color sleeveless dress? I have a couple that I wear this way this time of year.

Try your tunic top with a knit skirt and matching tights and shoes. Pick the skirt length to suit your figure. That is a look that looks good on almost anyone.

Or you could try palazzo pants - another 80s throwback.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another reason for my embracing leggings is the preponderance of loooong tops. I've avoided and hated them for some time, but now I see the light. Long, loose tops pair beautifully with leggings or very slim jeans. With all other pants it's just frumpy: baggy from top to bottom. Oh, and as for a knit top sticking to a legging in back, I plan to avoid that with silk, not cotton, tanks or chemises. Now, off to buy more *flats.
    * they make me smile, being such an ever-popular( Audrey Hepburn) shoe.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Tina, that last photo with the "jeans" are actually body paint. I saw that story and they wanted to see if anyone would notice they were not clothes.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love that chart above. If I'm lucky enough to make it to my 90s, I will be wearing elastic-waist flannel pajamas every day!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well, these weren't painted on and they look bad, despite how thin conan is.

• User
    9 years ago

I've seen that photo of Conan o'Brien before but still have to stifle a scream when I see it. OMG, his poor mother!

and some of the other pictures.....thinking of adding an addendum to my prayers requesting to be turned into a pillar of salt rather than be allowed to leave the house looking crazy or like a sausage casing.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 21:46

• msrose
    9 years ago

I bought several pairs of Hue jeggings last year, but I have a hard time finding tops long enough to wear with them. Where do you find long tops?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Try short-ish dresses msrose.

Original Author
    9 years ago

where to find long tops?? Gads! They are everywhere! Along with those long open cardigans...whatever they're called.

• User
    9 years ago

"Well, these weren't painted on and they look bad, despite how thin conan is."
    Ha, he just needs a longer shirt...

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Another thing is that for this look to be Adult, it must be worn with very stylish footwear.

Otherwise IMHO it looks like you are 2 and ý.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I need to check out Hue leggings or fitted knit pants.

I love the longer tops! I am long waisted so all my life tops were always too short. This one top I have is extra long. I bought it to wear with jeans but tops of the jeans are not smooth enough.

I'm still trying to rebuild my wardrobe after many years of living in sweatpants.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I agree - long tops/cardigans/sweaters, etc. are everywhere.

Conan did that for a joke.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Ponte pants! I just googled them as I kept seeing them at Kohls but wasn't sure what they were.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

I prefer skinny jeans to leggings. I bought leggings a couple of years ago and wore them with long sweaters and boots. I really never liked the look and felt like I was trying to be my 30 year old daughter! At work I wear scrubs Monday-Wednesdays, which is so easy, like working in your PJ's. On Thursdays, when I teach on-line classes I wear professional attire. On Fridays, I have no students on campus and it's casual Friday for faculty and staff. That's when I wear my skinny jeans to work. I choose to avoid wearing leggings to work. I've seen too many women "push the envelope" on fashion and go over to the other side (inappropriate for either age or body type). I'm 61 and fit and feel very comfy in skinny jeans and flats-soon to be boots. So much depends on what you are comfortable with.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Ponte pants! Who knew? I think I'll be looking for these!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I bought a pair of ponte pants for my trip last year...decent looking and incredibly comfortable, but they can get knees...

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Ellendi and Debra - I think ponte is actually the fabric - which is great. If you buy the pants, look for a good quality fabric with some spandex/lycra (whatever they're calling it these days!).

I bought two pair last year and they are very slim but not tight to the leg. Hold their shape great and I have had no bagging in the knees as Annie mentioned. Or the crotch either - I'm short and short waisted and sometimes a knit pant will tend to "bag" in the crotch after I've worn for a while, but not these.

A couple of years ago I bought a jacket out of the ponte fabric and loved it! I also have a pair of regular pants - a trouser style, out of the ponte fabric. There are skirts/pants/jackets, etc. out of this fabric.

tina

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Soft Surroundings has a lot of long tops.

Disclaimer: I'm short and none of their clothes would ever fit me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft Surroundings

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm 50, live in jeans, but I've gotten heavier in the past 5 years. I always had a full bust, and haven't had a waist since I got pg with DD. I'm also short, and find the bootcut (bell bottom) jeans to be more flattering than straight-leg.

But jeans aren't appropriate for all occasions, even if it's not "formal" enough to wear a dress (I really hate panty hose!). So what's a good "dress- casual" look for someone who's short and rather barrel-shaped (with sagging D-cups and wide hips), but with nice legs (at least below the knee, my thighs are a little big but firm and I don't have saggy knees - yet). Decent firm butt, though I guess I should stop wearing a wallet in back pocket of jeans b/c it really is an unflattering lump when it's too stuffed with receipts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Make sure you are in the right size bra...it has a tremendous impact on how you look and it helps define a waist.

Also jackets are your friend. A well-tailored jacket can be put on over jeans and t-shirt and suddenly you look put together. Stacy and Clinton always referred to them, or sweaters, as completer pieces...that 3rd piece that pulls a look together.

If you haven't ever looked at Vivienne Files, do so...she is so terrific at pulling together a wardrobe using easy to combine pieces....a cardigan here, a scarf there, a necklace...lots of great ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vivienne Files

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Thanks - being short and low-waisted all my life (my rib cage sits practically right on my hipbones, and my lower ribs really spread with pregnancies) was challenging enough. Then I went from a B to a C, to a DD when pg, back to C, but after the last baby never got below a D cup. I feel like I need a pair of cranes anchored to my shoulders, underwires aren't doing it!

I wear jeans and XL T shirts most of the time, since I'm a farmer, but it would be nice to have something a little nicer even than jeans and a sweater (which just emphasis the bulk) to school concerts, etc. Our 25th anniversary is coming up and DH would probably like to go out to dinner but I don't have anything non-frumpy to wear (I do have a nice pleated skirt I bought at the end of June, but I hate the blouse I bought to go with it, my mom made me buy an outfit for my niece's dance competition and you should have seen what the dance moms were wearing - sweats!).

Actually, he'd like to go on a cruise but I would need an entire new wardrobe for that and I'd still feel frumpy.

25 years ago I was cute, could wear miniskirts, though tops were always challenging...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you look at the vivienne files, you'll see you only need a few pieces to build an entire wardrobe. As you'll only need a few items to get a travel wardrobe, it'd be worth it...if only to make yourself feel better. You have to let go that you aren't who you were 25 years ago....and you probably wouldn't want to be...so embrace yourself for who you are today and take the time to get yourself a flattering outfit. Going out to dinner is far too valuable to not do it just for lack of an outfit.

Look for a dress that is more a-line so it gives you a waist line. Look for a skirt length that hits at the bottom of your knee for a flattering length. Or look for a fitted jacket and a pair of slacks with a nice blouse. If you're under 5'4" you probably need to look at petites. You'll feel great and look great.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

The tops and jackets are tough - I have narrow shoulders, short arms and a large bust, so it's hard to find jackets that fit at all. It's also hard to find blouses that aren't either just big all over or fit everywhere but the bust (too tight). Any specific suggestions?

Sorry to get OT - we were talking about leggings!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I just ordered a pair of the Gigi ponte pants at the J. Crew factory store online... on sale plus another 30% off made it seem worth a try! I would wear them in a legging-ish way, as I have a couple of longer tops that don't look great with my uniform jeans. Thinking I could maybe wear them with a long cardigan sweater too. We'll see.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Ajsmama, if your body isn't standard size, then you will be stuck with buying tops you can button then heading to a tailor to have it altered.

• msrose
    9 years ago

LucyStar - I love some of the tops I see on Soft Surroundings. I just wish they were a little cheaper. I'm 5'2", but I noticed they have petite sizes and XS.

This post was edited by msrose on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 21:09

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I have thin legs, but not a 'noticeable' waist, so always make sure my top completely covers my derrière. I think a top that has a little flair at the bottom looks good, a loose tee or button up blouse. A longer sweater during cooler months. Fitted is definitely a no-no on me.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I bought 2 pairs of ponte fabric pants (Vera Wang at Kohls) and I love them! I can't believe I didn't know about these before now. The fabric is thicker than leggings and they flare out slightly at the ankle. I wore them twice and got so many compliments. Just the right thickness and stretchyness to not show panty lines. Yea!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Annie, those pics are hysterical (and horrible). I am over 50, and wear them occasionally with a tunic type top. If worn correctly, I like the look. I am tall and thin.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I always had a wonderful figure except during and a few months after pregnancies. Now I have a big chest and a chubby middle but still have great legs. I wear ponte leggings from Ann Taylor Loft. They are wonderfully comfortable. I wear them with long sweaters or tunic tops with boots in the winter and wear them again with tunic tops or a two piece tank and light weight sweater set in the summer with ballet flats. The key to making leggings work IMO is keeping the tops long and flowy and making sure that the leggings are not skin tight and have a substantial amount of heft to them.

When I had a business partner I used to wear much more professional attire but now that I manage and run the business by myself with one employee I have to wear practical clothing.

I would love to wear jeans but I need a flat front pant as to not enhance my thick middle. IMO an apple figure is the hardest to dress but I have to deal with it because it's what I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Taylor leggings

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Yes, Annie's pictures clearly demonstrate that you must wear leggings with long tops that cover your front and behind. I had a coworker that was in her 60's and would wear thin, pedal pusher leggings in the summer with tops that stopped at the waist, not only fully outlining her front and back but her big tummy as well.....it was not a pretty sight but no one had the heart to tell her.

Anyone remember stirrup pants from the 80's? They were basically leggings with stirrups.....wonder if they'll ever make a comeback?