SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Fashion designers you used to love and wear...

Anglophilia
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Recently, I was telling a friend about some clothes that I loved and wore in the 1960's and 1970, back when I was a pretty young thing, tall and slender and wore clothes very well. I remember some of these dresses like it was yesterday!

When I was in retailing school in NYC (Tobe-Coburn School for Fashion) in the early 1960's, I fell in love with Jerry Silverman dresses. I bought mine at Bergdorf Goodman in the Miss Bergdorf salon. I think it was on the 5th floor, and while its clothes were far less expensive than their main designer salon, one still got the same service. One often even made an app't with ones own saleslady. One sat on a banquet and the clothes were brought out by the saleslady. The fitting rooms were huge and one was actually helped! It all felt very "special". What did they look like? Think of all those chic little sleeveless dresses that Jackie Kennedy and her sister, Lee Radziwell, always wore and that's what they looked like. They were simple slightly fitted sheaths but there were lots of interesting details that made them special. The woolens were lovely, and of course, the dresses were fully lined. They were often in lovely pastel "sherbet" colors for winter - looked wonderful under a fur coat! God, I loved those dresses!

Later, I moved on to Albert Nipon and Victor Costa. I had a few Albert Nipon dresses, including the dress I wore when I married for the 2nd time and one I wore the night before for the rehearsal dinner. I bought them in the designer salon at the old Famous Barr in Clayton.

Victor Costa was mainly sold in St Louis at Six, Baer & Fuller a long-gone dept store. When I was in my late twenties, I joined the Junior League. In St Louis, the League had a tearoom at the back of the parking lot behind the Stix Westroads store. Anyone could join the tearoom and it was very popular with ladies of a certain age. We had regular fashion shows during the lunch hour - true shows with a speaker. League members modeled the clothes. I was in charge of arranging the shows for 2 years and there was at least one weekly. My youngest child was in nursery school and Kindergarten (both half-day), I would pick her up and bring her back to the tearoom, give her a homemade PB&J and a basket of Jr League cinnamon rolls (simply the BEST!) and a coloring book and box of crayons, and she was happy in a corner while I supervised the show "backstage". Later this same child, then in HS, loved Victor's simply short, young looking print cotton evening dresses - they were adorable, even if expensive. She and one friend had several for the various formal parties they went to - I think they're all saved and in her closet - maybe a granddaughter someday - she has two sons. They were so special.

When I got married the first time, I had an adorable Donald Brooks outfit I had bought on sale at Saks in NYC - very pricey but the sale price was tolerable for my mother. I still have that outfit - couldn't fit in it if I tried and DD is far taller than I was so she never wore it. I just can't let such a special outfit go.

When I think back about these dresses, they were all so timeless and smart that one could easily wear them today - they have stood the test of time. Wish I'd saved them all and was still a size 6 or 8!

Do you have any favorites you remember?

Comments (47)