SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Dang!!! I just knew the long delay meant granite got broken!

raehelen
16 years ago

Ohhhh,

I feel like I should change my handle to granitewhipped (taking a cue from puppywhipped).

My enthusiasm for this reno is being chipped away, and now I'm in another low spot. Long story short, we ordered our cabinets, granite and hardwood from the same place May 8, 2007. After interminable delays, finally got granite installed

Dec.11 in the dead of night on a cold winter's day (night) so granite was all foggy and I couldn't really see what it looked like. Turns out 2 out of 5 pieces have the grain running the wrong way- going to be replaced (after DH made THE phone call), and we are waiting for the slow boat from China to bring it.

There were also two long skinny pieces to top pony wall in living room. Kitchen guy fabricated one side himself- very poorly, and so the week before Christmas took them back to work on the edge and promised to return them by Christmas Eve.

He brought them TODAY- January 26, 2008- again in the dark of night (seeing a pattern?). Have to admit, edges are close to perfect. After he has been here for about 3 hours fiddling to get the two pieces level, and has made the epoxy for the joint and siliconed them in place, and is spraying acetone, and using a razor blade to clean off any 'residue', I go get a wet paper towel and my trusty microfibre cloth to check on finish. Ay carumba! Finish is dull, and when I puruse the whole length, find a repaired break at the far end. Damn, I knew it! Knew that when it was going on and on, he had broken one of the pieces! He wasn't even going to tell me! So I say " Oh, there is a crack here"

'Yup- Oh I had it all fixed, looks like it's opened up again'. The elephant in the room --- weren't you going to say anything? This piece has obviously been broken!

After he fiddles another half hour with crazy glue and a razor and God knows what, the pit in my stomach is growing and growing and I'm full of angst- not just because my fears were validated, but that damn elephant is making his presence known, and the tension in the room is palatable. I go into the den where my DH has been for the past 3 1/2 hours (primarily busy with conference calls- but I'm pissed that I'm sitting there with the elephant and the kitchen guy all by myself). Whisper to him what has happened, and he goes out.

Well, kitchen guy mutters under breath, pieces may have to be replaced. ARgghhh, I'm whipped, I'm worn, I just want this all to end!!!

BTW, we're still waiting to hear when our missing and incorrect and now (beginning to warp) cabinets are going to be replaced.

Just need to vent- it's sort of so pathetic, it's almost funny- I mean I just KNEW that something had gone wrong with the pony wall granite.

Comments (29)