SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner - #293

ann_t
15 years ago

I've been trying to get some baking done on my days off work. Yesterday I baked Bagels. 12 plain and 6 filled with fried onions and cheddar cheese. These were so good that the next time I bake bagels I'm going to do a full batch of cheddar and onion.

Sunday Night we had dinner with our neighbour Clif. He baked potatoes, sauted mushrooms and cooked corn on the cob and gave me the job of grilling the beef tenderloin steaks.

Saturday night we had a rack of pork. I prepped it in the morning and Moe put it in the oven about an hour before I got home from work. By the time I had the vegetables cooked the roast was ready to. I love pork roasts with "cracklins".

Comments (97)

• canarybird01
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Annie I think I read that Meyer lemons are a cross between an orange and a lemon. I have to go back and read about that, perhaps I can breed my own LOL!
    You got a real bargain on Spode....pieces were never that price when my mom had it.

Lou I'm also interested in how your cactus blooms are coming along. Okay about the raccoons. My brother has them coming on his sundeck to eat the catfood .

The shrimp fettucini looks so good Grace, as does the salad with orange.

Kathleen the babka is beautiful! Here is the Montreal steak seasoning that I have. I bought it in Canada last year in Safeway, although the brand (on the side of the jar) is McCormick.
    It's a small plastic container of about 6 1/2 ounces. I also bought Montreal Chicken Seasoning, which is good too.

Yesterday we went out to a little terrace open air restaurant to hand in my restaurant review I did for them, and we stayed to eat lunch. Wolf had a really good fettucini with salmon and I had penne with vodka and mushroom sauce. Mmm..cheap and good. Today I have to cook though and have a salmon fillet defrosting in the kitchen.
    The Spanish airforce is having practical maneuvers overhead here today with fast and noisy jets. They seem to like to do this over Canary Islands.
    I guess because there's plenty of ocean around us.

SharonCb

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Sharon, that size would be fine..but you know the sizes in Costco...huge..I have never seen it my supermarket, but I will look.
    I will have to bring my camera next time and take a pic of it!
    That's great that you do restaurant reviews..do you do pictures too?

• Related Discussions

slab foundation $20,293??!!! I need opinions please :)

Q

Comments (17)
    "Concrete prices are very high and going up." Urban legend. Here in DFW, a cubic yard is $88, if you buy more than 9 cubic yards. http://www.cooperconcrete.com/products.htm It's been at this price for more than a year. Given the groaning and moaning in the construction business lately, I expect it to go down. Less demand = lower prices.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #363

Q

Comments (103)
    So many great looking meals! Ann_t, how on earth you can’t love your salads I don’t know! They always look delicious. How wonderful to have so many lovely tomatoes. I get you aren’t a salad eater, but… my goodness! Petalique, I was hoping someone would post a pizza – I’m so hungry for pizza. Your tomato and zucchini looks incredibly tasty – don’t you love how great those ‘whatever we’ve got’ pizzas always come out?! Always a pleasant surprise! Artemis_ma, you never fail to surprise me; I’d never have thought to stuff a pepper with potatoes, let alone Indian spices – sounds and looks so good. I need to be more adventurous : ) Jasdip, your pasta and tomato meal looks the best to me and has my mouth watering : ) Something about that combination just tastes so good. I’ve not made that this summer… yet! I like that you used asparagus. Your pot roast is making me pretty hungry too – we love a good well-done, melt in your mouth roast. Only thing I don’t like is how the onions always melt down to nothing and I find myself searching for more in the DO! Neely, I don’t even know where to start – that steak sandwich looks delish, your soup/stew is wonderful (you always have such nice chunky veg!). I know what you mean about sometimes just needing vegetables! But you do know what caught my attention! Your fromage frais with the poached egg on toast! Looks marvelous! Nancyofnc, I do that too! (put labels on food for parties). Your tea sandwiches turned out so pretty – and I can almost taste the marmalade/ricotta! Those tomato ‘bugs’ are adorable and I bet they were a hit too! ETA: Sleevendog, for some reason your posts never show up for a while for me! Wanted to say that tomato pic... oh my gosh. That's all I can say! Speechless! Also, thanks for the help with sous vide - that black and blue steak salad below took me zero time to put together because the steak was already done except for searing - following your example : ) Thursday I wanted to grill, so gorgonzola burgers 3-bean bake, and grilled corn. That’s not a lettuce tree growing out of the burger, just an odd camera angle! Friday was busy, so poofed ribs – Ann_T’s recipe – so good! Made more Tunnel Bar-b-que sauce but didn’t thin it as much with Stubb’s and found it was more to our liking with that kick. Made DH some country baby kale (you know, cooked to death with bacon, vinegar, chicken stock). Saturday I needed veg, so black and blue salad hit the spot for both of us. Yes, that’s my plate. Yes, I eat that much : ) Sunday we had Mesquite Salmon with herbed mayo/mustard seed sauce, roasted cherry tomatoes (from my neighbor’s garden) with shallots and basil, and rice.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    14 years ago

Kathleen I imagine that you could find that steak seasoning anywhere they sell McCormick spices. I haven't been in a Costco for nearly 5 years, when I once went with my brother in Canada. Because of the economic crisis, supermarkets here are downsizing food packages in order to prevent wastage, especially with fresh fruits and vegetables, which in many places have been shrink-wrapped on trays of 6 or 8 (eg lemons, apples). When a shopper only needed one of such fruit/veg he was obliged to buy the whole tray, resulting in a probable waste of the excess produce that he couldn't use. Sorry I'm getting off topic here LOL.

Yes I do food photos for the reviews, usually submitting eight or ten pictures of the restaurant interior, exterior, a few dishes from our dinners there, a list of some menu prices, opening times, phone number and my comments on the food and general impression.
    I make a printout for the restaurant, then the article is published on a local golfing website. It's just a hobby and I don't get paid for it, but we do get some complimentary meals as the restaurants are so amazed that anyone would want to give them free publicity LOL.

Today I used my toaster oven for the whole meal. Baked teriyaki salmon on one tray and filled the other baking tray with sliced potato, yam, red, green and yellow peppers, sliced onion all topped with an oil spray and fresh herbs. Didn't take photos today as I was in a hurry.

SharonCb

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Grace:
    You came off the Wagon - - - BUT !!!
    Did you have to put that Shrimp Fettucini Photo in there ?

Couldn't think of what to make tonite.
    So I pulled some Chicken Wings out and nuked them.

Then I saw your Shrimp. Not Fair !!!!!
    Kathleen:I like that Bobka

Sharon Cb:
    Shaun:
    Cathy :
    Here are the Cactus Flowers , after 2 days of moving the Doves,
    under the branches where nothing was showing.

This is on the opposite side of the Plant, from where all the others bloomed.
    Not a good Photo.
    There are 7 Flowers and about 20 buds , Blossoming,
    maybe in a day or so.
    ????????????????
    LOU

{{gwi:1512979}}

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lou, I love the doves and flowers!!
    Sharon, we were thinking alike since we had Teriyaki Salmon with a side of new potato/red pepper/asparagus saute and some garlic bread.

It sure is nice to be cooking at home again. We enjoyed a lovely evening out in the herb garden. Though we had to light some "pic" coils to keep the mosquitos at bay, it is still cool enough here to enjoy dinner outside. We'll take advantage of it while we can before we're stuck in the airconditioning for our meals!

Grace

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some great looking meals. Sharon that steak dinner looks wonderful. Not a bad price on the beef tenderloin either. Around here it is anywhere from about $19.00 to $23.00 a pound.

Lou, I love the photos of your Christmas Cactus in bloom.

Grace, beautiful salad. I love tomatoes any colour.

Kathleen, now that is one beautiful Babka.

I picked up some fresh scallops and stopped at the Asparagus Farm and bought 'just picked' asparagus for dinner.

• artsyshell
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful food photos and great looking meals everyone! I'm drooling.

Shelley S.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

You never save me any !!!

SharonCb:
    Well the Racoons totaled 3 of my Store bought Feeders.
    Can't afford to keep buying them.

Here is the latest I made in 8 minutes.

This is a Slim Jim , or Beef Jerky ,Clear Plastic container, with a screw on Lid.
    It is 14 inches high and a 4 1/4 inch diameter.

I drilled a hole thru the center of the lid, pushed a wire thru and bent it on the inside,
    so it won't slide back out. You can use a coat hanger.
    Put a larger lid above that,( rain ) pushed the wire thru

and made a loop to hook it on a Branch.

I used a Feather Burning Pen to cut the side feed hole,
    You can use a knife.
    Cut a 1 1/2 inch slit across the bottom and 3/4 inch up on each side.

Bend it in, so the bottom is open about 1/2 inch and the birds can pull out the seeds.
    I think you can see this in the Photo.

Drill some holes in the bottom for water drainage.

Drill holes thru the sides for the Dowel Sticks.

Fill with Sunflower Seeds, put the lid on and hang.
    The birds said they love it.

Did you find any containers yet ?????

The Beef Jerky containers work good.
    I find them in convience stores here, and ask if they can save a few for me.

I'm still waiting for a Photo of your's.

Lou
    {{gwi:1512983}}

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Wonderful looking photos and dinners that are being made. My life has been very hectic since my Mom's passing and cooking just has not been a part of it. :)

I did grill some steaks last night and we had salad and potatoes along with it. Tonight will be Mexican food at a rest. as I have a meeting with the Comm. of Accounts concerning her estate.

I hope to be able to get back in the swing of things soon and participate on the WFD thread and others soon. I have missed this board.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Ann T that asparagus pictures is so pretty! I'd like to get some but I have to wait until my fridge gets a little more empty. I hope to make some pasta salad for the cookalong. Will see what they have at the farm market this weekend.

Some nights I sure wish I lived with someone who liked to eat. I made tuscan bean soup and it was very, very good. Only problem is, I will now be faced with that soup for the next five days. Maybe I'll freeze some. I made a big pot of kidney beans last weekend in the crockpot. I've never made them plain before--just an onion and bay leaf for seasoning. I had planned on doing half as Indian spiced beans and freezing the other half, but I ended up making squash pudding so I've been eating them as chili beans mixed with salsa. The broth was so good that I decided to take the rest and make tuscan bean soup. I've never made it from scratch before, and it is excellent. I just made the beans a little more brothy than they already were by mixing vegetable bouillon with v-8 juice, added some fake sausage and bacon bits, mashed up some of the beans and then added ditalinni, and seasoned with Penzeys sandwich sprinkle and sage. Topped with parmesean, and served with sourdough spread with blue cheese/neufatchel mix. Peasant food is my favorite!!

I'm really liking making beans from scratch. Easy in the crockpot and even more economical than canned ones. And better tasting too. This weekend I may try some kind of white ones. And I still want to make the Indian style recipe. I also have one for curried garbanzos.

Dessert was vanilla yogurt with the last of my homeade strawberry preserves. That stuff is so good! It has taken me two years to eat up all the jams I made the last time I went to a U-pick strawberry place. I'm starting to think about what I want to put up this year. I may be game for strawberries again.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Oh Lee I forgot to add that I am definately getting some vanilla ice cream as per your inspiration so I can have the preserves over that. But it has to wait until I am feeling better so I can work it off on the eliptical machine at the gym at work. I have been laid up with a cough for two weeks.

It must feel so great to be cooking again after all your recuperating this year!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Going South !!! Had to bump it up again:

Kathleen:
    I wanted to comment on the Babka and forgot.

I make that a lot in a Loaf Pan.
    Didn't think anyone made it here.

I use the Dough for the Cinnamon Buns too. ( Sticky Buns )
    Don't think anyone makes them here. All I have seen is Cinnamon
    You should give it a try.
    When it is rolled , I cut it in 1 1/4 inch pieces,
    put them in a pan with all the Goo, Nuts and Raisens.
    let it raise and Bake.

Had the Dough recipe since the start of the 50's.
    Brought it home from the Army.
    No Google then or TV Cook Shows. It had a 12 inch Screen .

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lou, those are some awesome sticky buns!

Dixie, I hope you're feeling happy and in a cooking mood soon!

Pink, I can never get around to making preserves with my strawberries, they disappear too fast!

Dinner last night was Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese sauce and some sweet and sour Red Cabbage Slaw. Dessert was Gingerbread with Lemon Curd.

Tonight was a old favorite: Baked Penne with Zucchini and Italian Sausage. Also had a little side salad with the last of the blue cheese dressing from last night.... and of course we'll have more gingerbread later!

Grace

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I had to come back this morning just to look at Lou's buns! I sure wish I had one right now with my morning tea. Single me hardly ever bakes, the stuff goes bad before I can eat it up. Even when I freeze it, it languishes.

Gbsim, you made some of my favorite dishes! I've gotta get some molasses so I can make gingerbread. Last time I made it I had to use dark corn syrup because I didn't realize I was out of molasses.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Grace, you sure got back on the cooking wagon really big, didn't you? I love gingerbread and I have lemon curd. Hmmm...

Lpink, the bean soup sounds delicious. I cook beans in the crockpot regularly, it's so easy to do while I'm at work. Like you, I end up eating beans for a week, though. And Bud was here Thursday and ate the last of my peach conserve mixed with yogurt, he's learning fast.

Ann T, the asparagus looks good and fresh and delicious. I'm told that our asparagus is about a week away here. The scallops, though, those are calling to me, I love scallops. Or seafood of any type, mostly.

Elery and I took turns cooking last week. I made some chilequiles from Eating Well, and stuffed a poblano and zucchini with a succotash made from edamame, corn and the middle of the zucchini. I didn't eat the poblano, that's Elery's plate:

{{gwi:1512987}}

Elery made a nice pot of fish chowder, not the creamy kind, the brothy kind, with potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, lots of seasoning and some chunks of salmon:

{{gwi:1512988}}

tonight it's dinner with Chase and Clive, Sherry and Roger. Pictures will follow, LOL.

Annie

• lyndaluu2
    14 years ago

Yummy, yummy to all the dishes.
    A friend of my DH brought us two lovely pheasants (frozen)..
    last night I made Lemon garlic pheasants in a sauce.
    I put lemon pepper and salt on the pheasant (split in two) and dredged in flour. Seared in a dutch oven and added a sliced shallot, garlic, lemon juice and chicken stock and simmered for about a hour. Yummy!!!!!! Removed the pheasant and added some sherry and cut up carrots and potatoes and simmered another 30 mins. Removed them and boiled sauce to thicken. A very tasty meal. Sorry no pics as the camera was no where to be found.
    Linda

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Well everyone's been eating well. Love the asparagus Ann. Wish we could get it that fresh here.

LPink you're making me hungry now for a bean stew!

Grace it all looks good but I'd love some of that baked penne with Italian sausage.
    I never see Italian sausage here because with so much Spanish sausage available they never import from outside the country.

Annie you and Elery make such a good pair both in and out of the kitchen! I bet you're excited waiting for your CF guests. Looking forward to photos.

Lou I'd love one of those cinnamon buns, but am avoiding sweet and sugary things right now. As for the birds....well I have to give you a gold star for building that bird feeder so quickly. I haven't done anything yet because so far I haven't found unsalted sunflower seeds. They all seem to be for humans so I'll have to find a specialty pet shop that sells parrot food, as I think they eat sunflower seeds. At the moment I still have flocks of blackbirds at my tree feeder (dry catfood) and today a tiny wild canary flew inside the house and onto my desk. I've put out a stick of seeds for canaries which you can see here but it seems they are ignoring it. Otherwise this is my view most days.

Lunch out today. Wolf had smoked trout with horseradish and potatoes, I took a small Pariser schnitzel from the seniors' menu (half-size portions).
    The cafe cortado was strong and really good.

Tomorrow I'm cooking merluza (hake) fish. I had to take a whole fish as they now don't sell fillets separately, so the fishmonger did all the cleaning and filleting for me this morning and I have enough now for two meals. One goes in the freezer.

SharonCb

• shaun
    14 years ago

Do you guys ever start at the bottom, scrolling up ever so slowly and trying to guess who's picture it is without looking first? hahahahah~~~~~~~

Just a little game I play. I ALWAYS know AnnT's pictures.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, Shaun, I never even thought of that!

Sharon, supper with Sharon (chase) and Sherry (sheshebop) and their husbands was as close to a perfect evening as I've ever had. I put pictures on a separate thread.

Pietro's is a good local restaurant, not a chain. They make their own pasta and it's always good. They even managed to give me a nice whole wheat spaghettini cooked in chicken broth with fresh tomatoes, parsley and grated parmesan, it was very good.

Your food always looks good but I just love smoked fish, so Wolf's smoked trout would be something right up my alley, and I'd like some of that coffee right now, even if it is nearly midnight!

Yes, Elery and I make a good match, in the kitchen and out of it. He's just such a nice guy.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Well MI contingent, I am very jealous because I LOVE Pietro's, although I rarely went there even when I lived in GR. It was once voted "Most Romantic Restaurant" in GR, which probably explains why I didn't make it there very often!

Last night I had vegetarian comfort food--"Wheatloaf" with a side of mashed rutabaga mixed with spaghetti squash. Yup folks, that's a typical dinner at a granola bar's house! Wheatloaf actually has a pretty good consistency for a vegetarian loaf, it's made out of ground walnuts, wheat germ, cheddar cheese and eggs. Flavored with tomato sauce. It seemed a little dry so I topped it with ketchup!

I really LOVED the rutabaga. I have vowed to make it more often. I have also discovered I love spaghetti squash, although by no stretch of the imgaination is it like spaghetti, but "stringy squash" doesn't sound too appetizing I guess!

• artsyshell
    14 years ago

Shaun I do the same thing! I am now good at guessing Ann T's, Marigenes, Kathleens, Sols, and Nancy's.

Shelley S.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny, I do the same thing. LOL!

Dinner last night was Pork Souvlaki and an orange, onion and kalamata olive salad.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Shawn :
    I never did that.
    I like all the Photo's, even mine.
    Im had a Post all typed up last night.Must have shut down the computper, without Posting it.

Any way I'll start over.

Sharon:
    Merluza is a Whitefish ( Whities ) ,in Italian.
    I cook them in a Marinara Sauce with lots of Garlic and Parsley and Onions.
    Simmer the Sauce for awhile then add the Fish for about 10 minutes, before serving.

Most of the Markets here have a section with Bird Seeds and
    Sunflower seeds.
    I'm not sending you any Seeds . Cost too much to ship.
    - - - - - - -
    " Otherwise this is my view most days "

Is that what they mean by " Hind Sight "
    - - - - - - -

Nice Photo's and Meals everyone.
    If you keep at it, you may become good as me. LOL !!! LOL !!! LOL !!! Don't mind me, I'm Crazy. LOL!!!

Wait til you see what I Post tonight ?
    LOU

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

LPink rutabaga is one of my favourite vegetables but they just don't grow it here. I don't know why because I grew some with seeds I brought from Canada. They were perfect but needed a lot of space for the big leaves above ground. Your wheatloaf sounds interesting. I know I would like it.

Ann your souvlaki looks delicious. I would especially love the orange salad.

Lou....very good....yes I get 'hind sight' constantly from my window view. I have to fill up my feeder tray twice a day now. And I WILL find sunflower seeds without salt.
    I just have to go downtown to a pet store and pick some up. That's on my agenda! Of course that might attract parrots...we do have them flying around our neighbourhood....they're escapees from a local parrot park and they come to sit in our trees. I will try your recipe for merluza next time. :-)

This morning I walked up to a supermarket for some fresh salad and found a new flea market had installed itself in the entrance and foyer of the building. So of course I had to browse around before I went inside. I found some

(the one in the centre) and a couple of real bargains....a little 12 ounce English teapot (new), for the equivalent of $3.98... and then I hit what was for me a jackpot....6 salad plates from a famous porcelain manufacturer in Seville..."La Cartuja de Sevilla", founded by an Englishman in a Carthusian monastery in 1841. The pattern is 'Rosa 202' and it has had the name of a hotel printed in the centre....but that's okay seeing as I got 6 x 7.5 inch plates for $3.98 total.
    I'll just cover up the name with lettuce LOL.

Lunch was merluza (hake) fish coated in a mixture of ground almond, parmesano, pepper and Old Bay....delish....baked yam, potato and a big salad with feta.

Tomorrow will be spaghetti and another local holiday here!

SharonCb

• woodie
    14 years ago

Shaun,me too! I think I know everybody's photos or their food or, at the very least their dishes!

And you can guess mine really quick because I have no pics! Tonight we're having Ina's Company Pot Roast - a fabulous recipe IMVHO. This past week we enjoyed Becky's Scampi Bake (I think the addition of mustard puts it over the top - its absolutely yummy) and a seared then roasted pork tenderloin with a simple pan sauce with a little chicken stock and white wine, some roasted asparagus, some roasted cauliflower, oh and a sausage/chicken/potato/onion/garlic bake which is a throw together meal with some balsamic vinegar and mustard, it comes out so good and takes 5 whole minutes to throw together.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Shaun:
    I tried what you said and I guessed my Photo, right on.

Tonight, I had Peppers and Eggs, a rollover from another Post.
    2 Slices of Sausage Pizza from the Freezer.

And a piece of Apple Upside Down Cake, I had in the freezer also.
    It was really Goooooeeeey !!!!!

I washed it all down with a cup, of Starbucks.

BURP!!! Oh excuse me! I'm sorry.

Lou

{{gwi:1473381}}

{{gwi:1487906}}
    Easy Comfort food !!!!!

• jude31
    14 years ago

Sharon, I love your "flea market finds" and the hotel name in the center of the plates just makes them more interesting. Very unique.

Also, I love your colorful mouthwatering pictures...very easy to identify and since I have tried some of your recipes they are just as good as they look. You raise vegetables to a whole new level.

Lots of good cooks with pretty food pictures. Eye Candy!
    jude

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, I really like that platter, and like jude, I think the hotel name on the plate just makes it more interesting. The teapot is really nice, and you got some great deals. I bought blue hake here once and really liked it, it was a nice mild fish. I wonder if it's the same stuff you get so regularly?

Lpink, rutabaga sounds so good, I think I'm going to have to go buy one now, I really like them, just mashed with salt and pepper works well for me. and I agree on the spaghetti squash. I like it baked with salt, pepper and a bit of parmesan but no way is it anything like spaghetti!

So what's for supper? I spent the day cleaning the barn and so I came home hot and tired with an aching back. I had scrambled eggs, no where near as pretty as Lou's, but good enough.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Ann T that is one of my favorite salads! Yours looks better than mine though, I don't have the knack with a knife.

Sharon that salad is a work of art! I do so envy you the fresh vegetables all year round! I had a friend whose last name meant "hake" in German I think it was. The name was "hecht." We just teased him and called him "fish man." P.S. I love the little teapot!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words :-).
    Yes we are lucky to have an abundance of fruit & veg growing here year round and it is tempting to use it daily when it looks and smells so attractive in the markets.

I think I really do like the name of the hotel on the plates after all. Now that I think of it, it's quite trendy to have something written on plates.
    Too bad I'm not Sol though....(her birthday is coming up soon) but I'm keeping those plates ...sorry Sol!

Annie here's a link with some info about hake. It's a member of the cod family with a flavour milder than cod. I know that Cape hake is popular now. I bought some frozen when in Canada last year and it was quite inexpensive. What we buy here is similar, called European hake and is caught around the Canary Islands.

Lou your comfort food looks really comfortable and I'm sure it was very good.....especially that apple upside down cake!

Today was Pilates in the morning so our spaghetti lunch was made with a jar of Italian bolognese sauce as I didn't have time to properly slow cook a real one.
    Used up the rest of yesterday's salad makings and made a fruit salad for dessert. This one contained honeydew, papaya, strawberries, banana, kiwi, grapes and orange juice. The fruit was locally grown (except the grapes) and was so sweet that I didn't have to add a grain of sugar this time. Normally I sprinkle 2 teaspoons over but forgot and found it wasn't necessary.

SharonCb

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Shaun, I do that..and I get some of them right!

Ann, that Souvlaki looks excellent..I've never made it..
    And your pic of asparagus is great!

Always wonderful food pics, Sharon..

Annie, you make very interesting meals, and they will taste even better on your new dishes! :)

Sharon, I am jealous of your dish find! The tea pot is so pretty and I love the plates..and I think the hotel name in the middle makes it even more interesting.
    You know Monique loves plates with words on them!

I have a stainless steel bowl I got many years ago at a Trash to Treasures sale in Southampton ...I paid 50 cents for it..

Can you see Hotel Astor on the bottom?

It was made by a company called Legion Utensils, and it is heavy weighs 1.75 lbs.

In the "olden" days, when I was a child, I remember restaurants placed these buckets filled with ice ,celery , carrots,radishes and olives on the table as soon as you sat down. Anyone remember that??

The Hotel Astor was a venerable institution in the heart of Times Square for more than six decades. Plans for the grand hotel were conceived in 1900 by William C. Muschenheim and his brother, Frederick A. Muschenheim, at a time when the areathen known as Longacre Squarewas beyond the fringe of metropolitan life. It would be a few years before the new subway would extend up Fourth Avenue, across Forty-second Street, and northward along Broadway. New York Times publisher Adolph S. Ochs had moved the paper's operations to a new tower on 42nd Street in the middle of Longacre Square, and Ochs persuaded Mayor George B. McClellan, Jr. to build a subway station there and rename it Times Square. The theatre district would soon occupy magnificent new auditoriums along Forty-second Street, and electric lighting transformed this strip of Broadway into the "Great White Way."

Built at a cost of $7,000,000 on land leased from William Waldorf Astor (great-grandson of John Jacob Astor, the fur trader), the 11-story, 35,000-square-feet Hotel Astor was designed in the French Renaissance "Beaux Arts" style by architects Charles W. Clinton and William H. Russell, who imitated many features from the old Waldorf=Astoria on Thirty-fourth Street. The Hotel Astor opened in September 1904, dazzling guests with its enormous public rooms, most decorated with themes. A a year later the elaborate roof garden was opened.

The Large Ballroom (or Banquet Hall), located on the ninth floor, was opened with a dinner in connection with the Hudson-Fulton celebration. Measuring 50 feet wide by 85 feet long, the Banquet Hall was decorated in the style of Louis XV and featured a high groined arch ceiling in ivory white and old gold, supported by grouped caryatides. A gallery ran along the south and west sides, affording a fine view of the room, which could accomodate 500 diners. The smaller ballroom, seating 250, was decorated in the later Louis XVI period and could be joined with the larger ballroom as needed. Still another adjoining room, "The College Hall", could also be opened into the ballroom so that up to 1100 persons could be seated. The Palm Garden, or "L'Orangerie", located in the rear of the ninth floor lobby, was intended to represent an Italian garden. Its ceiling, painted to represent a Mediterranean sky, was partly concealed by vine-covered pergolas. Blue lighting, hanging lamps draped in vines, swaying fern baskets, and scenic pictures of the out-of-doors further enhanced the perception.

The Hotel Astor was demolished in 1967 to accomodate One Astor Plaza, a 50-story office tower.

Hope that wasn't boring, but my fellow NY ers might find it interesting...

We had Meaty Ziti..baked ziti with meat...( I know you probably figured that out.:) )

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon, you did good. Cute little teapot.

Kathleen, I love that little bowl.

Lou, you have been eating well. As always, great looking pizza.

I decided to make pizza for dinner last night too. I didn't get home from work though until about 5:20 so we didn't eat until after 8:00. It was worth the wait though.

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Ann, that looks wonderful! The crust is my favorite part!

And Lou, I forgot to say your pizza and dessert look very good too.
    I still have the recipe for yur Sin Buns..:)...I have to wait till the kids are here to make it. I know they will like them!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody :
    I'm not commenting on all the terrible food and Photo's,
    Posted on this Forum.
    Guess I'll have to Google some good recipes.
    Lou

• hawk307
    14 years ago

PS: JUST KIDDING !!!
    Wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.
    LOU

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lou, you're a card! And can make good looking pizza btw!

Love everyones dinners and pretty dishes!

I'm still cooking, but haven't taken any pictures. Grilled Panini sandwiches on Saturday PM with some of the leftover teriyaki salmon/cheese/italian bread. Last night we went out to a Mexican restaurant where I splurged on TWO margaritas and had a wonderful chicken dish. Tonight was very unphotogenic cabbage rolls that I POOFED, but hey at least I cooked!

Grace

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Kathleen:
    And I thought you didn't love me anymore, because I didn't make that record yet.

Grace:
    Did you ever do Panini in a Waffle Baker.
    I'm going to do one now.
    - - - - - - - - -
    For Dinner
    I pulled out some Roasted Pork Tenders from the freezer.
    The were about 1 1/2 inches thick.
    Added Mixed Vegtables, that I simmered along with Home Fries.
    Sprinkled everything with Garlic Powder Onion Powder and some Old Bay.

The Tenders were tender enough to cut with a fork.
    Emmmmmmm em !!!!!!
    Lou

{{gwi:1513014}}

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Grace:
    I'll put a Panini Photo in for you.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

I cut two slices from the center of a Round Italian Roll.

Sprinkled some EVOO and Garlic powder on one side of the 2 pieces.

All I had for the inside was some Virginia Baked Ham,
    Pepperoni, Sharp Picante Provolone and
    some Roasted Red Peppers.Laid all this in and

I put this in my Waffle Baker for a couple minutes and what do you know, out came a Panini.

I didn't need to eat Panini this late at night BUT !!!
    I sacrificed myself again, for you.

LOU

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

It looks so delicious everyone! (I could never catch up with so much, but it looks mouth-watering)

I am so trying get back my life since school is almost over (forever for me! Yea!). I bought many many groceries with hopes that they'd last for a month, but at the rate I'm going, I don't see it happening.

Sunday, I had scallops prepared in the Spanish tapas style (recipe from our Canary Island expert) and bread. And a lemon martini, would've been better with wine, but that was what I had on hand.

Monday, I had grilled artichokes (with hollandaise) and grilled a ribeye with it (also dipped in hollandaise). I can feel my hips getting larger, may as well drizzle it directly onto the fat already protruding from my body.

Tonight, I'm thinking crab stuffed mushrooms.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Kathleen you had a great find with that heavy Hotel Astor bowl. That was a real bargain. And I love baked ziti!

Great looking pizza as always Ann.

Grace and Lou...I'm still not sure what is a panini, as it means 'little bread' but it's interesting how you make them Lou.

Rob sounds like a good way to prepare scallops!

Today I was practising for the asparagus challenge thread. I'm looking for some unsliced sandwich bread that I can cut lengthwise but so far haven't found any.

So I made asparagus pinwheels using frozen puff pastry, slicing it in long rectangles, spreading cream cheese thinly and paper thin slices of york ham then three spears of asparagus, rolled them up, sliced, sprinkled with paprika and put them on a tray in the toaster oven for 20 minutes at 375F and they came out delicious. Next time I will add some chopped caramelized onion as well. They just needed the onion. I hope to make these with bread rollups but we'll see if I can find the right bread.
    Otherwise I also made steamed vegetables with sauteed pork loin slices and onion with pan juices for sauce. A little lettuce and tomato salad on the side. And that was dinner.

These are small - about 2 1/2" across (6.5 cm)

SharonCb

• hawk307
    14 years ago

SharonCb:
    What kind of Italian are you ???
    Panini is actually a Grilled Sandwich.
    Usually made with slices of Italian bread, put in whatever you like,
    drizzle some EVOO on the outside and Grille it.

I do that and sprinkle some Garlic Powder on the Outside also, so I have Garlic bread.

There are Panini Bakers, that have Hinges, that are adjustable to any thickness of the sandwich.

I use the Waffle Baker but can't make the sandwich too thick. It's hard to close.

Or I Grille them in a Cast Iron Skillet and flip it.

Try one and put in a Photo ( not 12:30 AM )

Grace made me eat one last night, that late.
    And I thought she was a nice person!!!

Use your imagination for the innards.

Why would you want to make this anyway, with all the goodies you have.
    Wish you wouldn't put so many photo's.

I've gained 3 Lbs. with your's and all the other Photo's .

Now Rob is starting. But no photo's yet.

Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, as far as I can see, a panini is just a grilled sandwich. Elery bought me a panini press and I've used it a couple of times, but an easy way is to put your sandwich in a cast iron skillet and then place another skillet on top to "smush" it down. When it's ready to turn over, flip it to brown the other side and that's pretty much it.

As Lou said, you can put anything in them you like, the big thing right now here is a "cuban", which includes slices of roasted pork loin and dill pickles.

So what's for supper? I don't know, I've come here for inspiration, but if that fails I have a bowl of lentils in the fridge that I can warm up.

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Im didn't get any inspiration either.

Think they believed me, when I complained about all the Good food and Photo's.
    Just had some Buffalo Wings from the freezer. I heated them first.

The Deer were laying around out back. I think they are waiting for the grass to grow.

Mustangs:
    I tested the " Deer Away " juice, that I made.
    It worked !!!

I put a small pile of Deer Corn on the back driveway and sprayed the " Deer Away " on it.
    Then I spread some more Corn on the side. They ate all of the Corn except the pile I sprayed.
    Lou

Sharon : Here is a Pic for you
    {{gwi:1513017}}

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lou, you've got some imagination coming up with a breakfast waffle sandwich! It looks great! And I'm glad you heated up those buffalo wings from the freezer.... Hard to picture you gnawing on a frozen wing, but I suppose it could be done. :0

I used to try the two skillet panini trick, but when I saw the Griddler (cuisinart panini maker) on sale, I splurged. Mine opens up as a flat double sided grill or griddle and so I've used it for all sorts of things besides sandwiches. We bring it in the rv/horse trailer when camping and it has really come in handy.

Worked outside today and all I had the energy for was another old standby: Creamed Eggs on Toast. Mrs. Zojurushi (the bread machine) was busy in the kitchen when I was outside in the garden, so we had fresh ww toast. Sides of bacon and sauteed fresh spinach tasted so good!

Grace

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Had to Bump it up again. What happened to all the Cooks?

Grace:
    Panini is Fun Food.

The Belgium Waffle Maker doesn't squish it as much.

Guess what I had tonight ???

Chicken Again !!!!!!!
    Can't help it I love Chicken, Potatoes and Carrots.

Nothing much but I had to bring the Post back from limbo.
    Lou

{{gwi:1513019}}

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie and Lou...okay I've got it now...panini is a grilled sandwich and the process sounds like what is called here either a croque-monsieur...grilled ham and cheese on sliced bread or a 'pepito', usually a thin slice of cooked pork loin inside a small baquette toasted on an oiled grill with a heavy lid that presses it down flat. That was a favourite snack food in my daughter's office when she worked here, as there was a sandwich bar across the road, with delivery.

Grace your creamed eggs on homemade bread with bacon is making me really hungry! And Lou you are an expert at preparing chicken.

I love your deer Lou. I always feel sorry that everyone wants to chase them away, but I guess if they came into my garden and starting eating my roses I would feel the same. At the moment the magical month of May is so beautiful...and the purple larkspur is out and I didn't even plant it! There must have been some seeds in the compost we spread around.
    Peaches are nearly ripe and roses are everywhere.

Yesterday we went to a favourite Italian restaurant up on a hill as I'm doing a review of it this weekend and although I have enough photos I needed some more info on prices and opening times. Wolf loves this place and would like to try everything on the menu but as it was, he settled for a half portion of egg scrambled with smoked salmon and spinach. I took my favourite oriquiette with gorgonzola sauce. Pic of the restaurant below. We sat inside though as it was a bit breezy.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Exactly Sharon! I had forgotten about croque-monsieur. With the machine you can use any type of bread.... my favorite is a big round of foccacia and then we cut it into wedges when done. Any type of fillings, it's amazing the combinations that you can come up with. Also to cut down on the carbs, it does a fine job with quesadilla type "sandwiches" in a folded tortilla and pitas.

Last night we were in a hurry to eat so no pictures. But everyone's talk of scallops had me craving them so I bought 8 huge ones at the grocery yesterday when I was doing the weekly shopping. Sauteed with a little white wine, shallots and thickened up with some cream and egg yolk at the end.... all in one little skillet and it was delicious. We rounded out the meal with some premade endame salad from the store.

Grace

• obxgina
    14 years ago

Lou, the deer look like they are patiently waiting for their next course! lol!!!
    I also came here for inspiration, everything looks so beautiful and good, now I'm starving and depressed!
    Gina

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    They were !!! Sometimes they come and peep in the Garage,
    when I'm working.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Didn't cook much, I shared some Spaghetti and Meatballs,

That I cooked for a neighbor friend.

His wife has Cancer and Hospice was there .

She can still eat a little, so I made up a Double Portion,
    for them, in a Styro Foam container.
    LOU

{{gwi:1513026}}

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Sharon:
    Gina:
    Here are some waiting to eat too !!!
    LOU

{{gwi:1513027}}