SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

New recipe experiences?

16 years ago

I debated whether to post this on WFD, but it's all over the board. I had a chance to do a lot of cooking this past weekend and got to try a LOT of new recipes I've been posting about and collecting. I'll share mine but I would love to hear yours!! So here goes my experiences:

Pear Walnut muffins - just OK. I forgot to add the walnuts (had them sitting on the counter and everything) but that wasn't really the biggest issues. I have concluded that I don't like pears in baked goods, their taste and texture is too delicate and I think it doesn't hold up well. The exception for me is pear upside down cake, where the pears are in a yummy layer, and of course pear crisp, same deal.

Bread crumb crust apple torta, ala Lidia Bastianich, with thanks to Dishesdone/Carol for passing on the recipe - Well, it was declared "sexy" by one of my dinner party guests, but as per my usual dough dyslexia, it didn't look quite the way the recipe described. I tried rolling it out, that worked fine, but it stuck to the rolling board, so when I went to put it in the pie pan, it came out in clumps. So I ended up pressing it in. I couldn't find my tart pan, and I think I have gotten rid of it since I never used it. So I made the torta in a pie pan. This type of crust is very similar to a grahmn cracker crumb crust actually. Mine suffered from less than stellar bread crumbs (a mix of white, multi grain and pumpernickle isn't quite right for dessert). I'm going to try the recipe again, with the bottom crust pressed in and the top crust crumbled on top. This torta is similar to what we Americans call "Apple Brown Betty" which is without the bottom crust. The FANTASTIC part was parboiling the apples in wine and sugar, and then reducing the boiling syrup to serve over the torta with real whipped cream made with vanilla sugar. Next time I may just go with apple-wine compote, lol! Me and pie just don't jibe, sigh . . . I love eating it though.

Squash, parsnip and sweet potato gratin - my first recipe out of my "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" cookbook by Mark Bitterman, and I have to say it wasn't the best experience. He gives a basic recipe and then variations, which is a great idea, but the execution in the book made it hard for me to follow the recipe, seeing as how the original recipe was for spinach gratin. So it reads something like . . "substitute squash for spinach, romano cheese for the parmesean, leave out the nutmeg and add 3 Tsp. sage and add two eggs." Well that's hard for me because I had to move back and forth between the original recipe and the variation, which was actually nothing like the original recipe, and calculate stuff in my head. The gratin was not creamy, it was watery, but it tasted good. I found a recipe in my "Cook's Illustrated Cover and Bake" cookbook that I'm going to try next time. They suggest making a rich cheese sauce to pour over the veggies for the gratin. I haven't given up on the Bitterman book yet, it is very comprehensive with many exciting dishes I want to try.

Fennel-orange-olive salad - I have always wanted to try that, and I had a ton of oranges I had saved left over from a college function. I saw Lidia make this on Sat. in her "Lidia's Italy" PBS show, so I bought some fennel. The salad was very good, and also described as "sexy" by my dinner guests. But the fennel had almost no taste. This is the second time I have gotten tasteless fennel in the grocery store. I may have to grow some in the garden this year!

Mushroom tarts - These were fantastic. I think the secret to good mushrooms is cooking them long enough so they loose their raw taste, which I realized I haven't done before. Grilling would be great also, but I'm not a griller.

Cinncinati style chili - I served this for lunch and it was the biggest hit of all! I made it "five ways" with kidney beans, onions, spaghetti, cheddar cheese and my own improvisation of tortilla chips on top. Traditional is oyster crackers but I had the tortilla chips. The wonderful thing about that chili is it was a snap to make in the crockpot and we had it after a morning of hiking adventures. I loved all the spices (including the cinnamon!). If I make it again for company I may add chopped jalepenos and sour cream as additional condiments, making for a "seven way" option! This is going to become one of my favorite recipes!

So how about you, what new recipes have you been trying and how did the results end up?

Comments (3)