SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Pots and Pans

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

I apologize if this subject has already been discussed, but I am totally disgusted with my pots and pans. Before I spend good money on a new set, I thought I'd poll everyone to see what all of you are using.

I originally got a Farberware set when I got married, and I'm still using the pots I got in that set, but I don't have the frying pans any longer. I then got various cheap frypans and I got a T-Fal set somewhere along the line. Those are long gone other than a saucepot or two and about 3 years ago I got a set of Calphalon "professional" nonstick for Christmas from my family. I know they spent about $400 for the set. The pots are fine, but I'm sorry, the nonstick coating on the fry pans are just a mess. I've gone out twice and bought sets of 2 sautee pans and they're ruined already as well. Part of it is the kids using the pans and ruining them because they use metal utensils, burn things in them, etc. and as much as I warn everyone that certain pans are off limites for everyone's use besides me, they don't listen!! But I'm thinking I might be done with anything nonstick Teflon for a frying/sautee pan from now one. And I like to keep a small pan especially for making omelettes. But I'm hesitant that I'm going to have horrid sticking problems if I don't get nonstick. I went out and bought a cast iron fry pan so I could use it ontop of the stove, then transfer it to the oven for certain things. I seasoned it correctly, but it still sticks horribly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with it. Besides, it's too heavy for everyday use.

So I guess I'm looking for sautee pans that are quality, don't stick, and especially don't stick when they're not "non stick" teflon! And if anyone has any ideas why my cast iron pan sticks even after I seasoned it, that would be great as well!

I'm really sick of continually replacing my pans!!

Lisa

Comments (40)

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Non-stick pans should be replaced when they start to wear. We buy a set of two fry pans, two sizes, at Costco for $20, and simply plan on replacing them every couple of years (there are just two of us, so they don't get banged up). So we are resigned to replacing the non-stick pans, and don't worry about it. The important thing is to not pay too much for these.

If you want true non-stick, try a Lodge cast iron pre-seasoned pan. Heavy, but should be non-stick for as long as you take care of it.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I'm with sushi....at Sam's club in the "commercial" area where they have the food service items, they have aluminum fry pans with a non stick coating and a long handle. They cost about$16 for a 7 inch pan and about $22 for a 12 inch. They are aluminum so they heat well and evenly. The non stick coating is very good....as coatings go, the handle is long enough and the pan light enough that you can flip an egg or a burger and cheap enough to replace when needed.
    And never buy a "set" of cookware....because one set is not good for all uses.
    I have a pair of Farberware lidded sauce pans, a smaller pair of Revereware lidded sauce pans a no name clad bottom stock pot, a smaller clad stainless stock pot, an embarrassment of Le Cruset ovens, and about 4 cheap, aluminum, coated fry pans.
    If you open my cupboards, the pans don't all match....but they sure cook good!
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

An alternative for pot and pans storage

Q

Comments (6)
    thanks for this post! I did not even know something like this was available. Great idea for storage and I am looking for (after market) storage for my new cabinets. Our cabinets did not have a many fancy storage choices, but I figured I could find some storage options...and I love this! Can you tell me what size this cabinet is? looks as if is at least a 24". We will have a 24" just to the right of the new range and this would be perfect if it fits! Do they make several sizes? As far as noise, I know I make noise digging/looking for the right pan in a regular cabinet! ...so not a bother,,,your going to make noise in the kitchen one way or another. I will check on ebay!! thanks for the post!!
    ...See More

Help - seeking some input of pots n' pans drawers size!

Q

Comments (9)
    Try arranging your current pots and pans on a counter top or table and see how wide of a drawer you need depending on the sizes of your cookware. I've got a 36" pot and pan drawer unit and for my particular pots and pans I could have definitely gone up to 6" narrower. That's with a double set of pots and extra pans I inherited from my mom when she moved. But I should mention I'm really type A in the way I get everything to fit in there. So if you like to just toss things in, maybe you'd like the extra room and not have to be very particular about stacking things precisely. As for the other cabinet, see what you've got right now in your kitchen and see how you would like (or not like) a door that corresponds to the 15" or 18" cabinet. I've got an 18" base cabinet on the other side of my stove (which buts up to a blind base with another 18" door) and I find that even with the 18" I'm forced to take half the cabinet stuff out in order to reach anything beyond the front 6". I couldn't imagine having something 3" narrower. Now if you're going to make the 15"/18" cabinet a drawer cabinet, don't forget that the usable width will be less than a door cabinet because of the drawer sides. I used to have a 15" wide 4 drawer cabinet (all equal height) that I used for my cooking utensils next to the stove. It was nice to have 4 drawers because it allowed me to organize things by type a little more than 3 drawers would. But at the same time I found it wasn't enough room to store everything because it was so narrow. And I had a hard time finding organizing units to fit inside the drawers because they were just slightly too narrow for most. I've got an 18" base cabinet with 2 roll out drawers inside. Originally I wanted to store my Rubbermaid type containers (actually Lock & Lock) in there but it wouldn't work because it was juuuust too narrow to fit more than one stacked set side by side. I'd suggest doing the same thing with your appliances as with your pots and pans - lay them out on a counter and play around with how much room you would have and how you would store them. Would you have enough room to fit more than one item in each drawer? Will the drawers be tall enough? Etc. Take into account the actual size of usable space and not just the outer box dimensions. If there are items you don't own yet but think you'll own in the future, you can usually find dimensions online.
    ...See More

Best pots and pans for radiant electric range?

Q

Comments (1)
    Mid- to high-quality tri-ply pans would be my choice. The AllClad pans that I have work well on my radiant smoothtop, but so do other brands of tri-ply such as Cuisinart, even a no-brand pan from TJ Maxx and an old Revere pan that I paid much less for. The key thing is that you need pans where the bottoms will stay perfectly flat, and you shouldn't use cast iron. "Tri-ply" means aluminum sandwiched between stainless steel on both the inside and the outside.
    ...See More

Best Pots and Pans for Induction Cooktop

Q

Comments (21)
    In 2005 when I renovated our kitchen I bought Calphalon tri-ply cookware with glass lids. We just replaced our now broken old cooktop with an induction range. I purchased identical Calphalon tri-ply pots and pans on Amazon, except these of course are induction compatible. I decided that I only need four pans at this point: 5 quart dutch oven, eight quart pot, 3.5 quart pan, and a 10" frying pan. I can get by without purchasing little sauce pans. These pans are 10" (give or take) in diameter so the lids are interchangeable. There is more space in my cabinets, which I am grateful for!
    ...See More
  • foodonastump
    15 years ago

Well until you said it's your kids ruining the pans I was going to say to mail in the Calphalon - they are VERY good about prompt replacement under lifetime warranty. But probably not if they show signs of abuse. Although if you just "happen" to warp your pans over high heat and send it in due to warping not due to the non-stick, they might just replace it for you. Not that I'd know from experience. ;)

I'd say my frying pan use is about 80% All Clad, 15% Lodge cast iron, 5% nonstick Calphalon. I think a good clad stainless cookware is a good investment. Calphalon Tri-Ply is a cheaper alternative to All Clad. Keep an eye out for sales and specials - for instance I think the 10" is on special at BB&B more often than it's not.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Please, given what you've posted, STAY away from Teflon. The dangers of it have been routinely hidden for years. It's an extremely dangerous carcinogen, and by the time you notice your pans' surface is deteriorating, it's been flaking into your food for some time. My brother works with metals, you would never have one of those pans in your house, if you knew how truly dangerous that coating is.

Best choice for non-stick frying is definitely a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Besides being the best non-stick surface you'll ever cook on, they add iron to your food. And all you have to do is give the pan a quick rinse after using. Doesn't hurt that cast iron is one of the least expensive materials to buy, as well. I have all kinds of pots and pans, and for any frying/sauteing, my cast iron ones are my 'go to' pans. You can even buy preseasoned cast iron these days. The surface isn't as good as it will get after lots of use, but it's a good enough coating to get you started.

• lisazone6_ma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's why I'm always replacing them - I've heard stories on the news about how bad Teflon is and that's another reason I'm considering not using anything Teflon coated at all.

But my experience with the cast iron pan has soured me. I heated the pan with a good layer of canola oil in it, rolled the pan around on the heat so all the interior surfaces got coated with oil, let it sit and cool, poured out the excess oil and rubbed what was left into the surface really well and I made sure I just rinsed the pan and didn't use soap or anything - that's exactly how I seasoned my wok and it's wonderful, but the cast iron pan sticks terribly. Did I season it improperly? It's the only cast iron pan I've ever owned or used so maybe treating it like my wok wasn't right? Maybe I just need to use it longer before it gets a nice patina and stops sticking? I'm stumped.

I really wish I still had the Farberware frying pans. I don't think scrubbing them out will have been that much more work than I'm doing now! And when I got the set they were nice and heavy. One thing tho - my son was boiling eggs in the smallest pot and it was too small for the burner and the heat he had on under it and the handle started to burn. Well, it's been 3 days and you can STILL smell the horrid chemical stench that handle gave off as it melted!! Even after opening all the doors and windows it's still lingering a bit. I can imagine the toxins that poured into the air!!

I was looking at All Clad as well as the Calphalon without the Teflon coating, which is the set I really wanted, but that one was roughly $800. And I certainly don't need or won't buy sets any longer as I have plenty of sauce pans and stock pots from all my various sets and ones I've bought open stock over the years. It's the sautee and frying pans I need and one special omelette pan - if I can keep the kids (and hubby) from touching it!!!!

Lisa

• leel
    15 years ago

Best way to season cast iron is to use Crisco on the inner surface & place in a 300 degree oven for a couple hours. Let it cool & rub dry with paper towels. After each use, wipe it clean, and if you had to use some water, dry over the stove burner. When its cool, rub a thin film of the Crisco over the inner surface & polish off excess with a paper towel. The surface will get more slippery the more you use it. As for weight, its relative. I have 9, 10, and 12 inch cast iron pans. Since I am also a weight lifter, they don't feel heavy to me.

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

The more you use the cast iron, the better it'll work for you.
    It's my go to fry pan, weight and all.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I agree with leel on the best way to season cast iron. Also every few washings put another coat of crisco on and leave it a few minutes on a burner on low or if I have a warm oven then wipe out any excess. You could clean off yours now and start again.

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Something else you can do to help season your cast iron besides what leel said, is to deep fry something. Corn tortillas are always a hit around here, when reseasoning takes place. (Even though I typically use my wok for that, but it's cast iron as well!) That puts a large amount of heated oil (crisco) in the pan for an extended period of time and really helps the process along. If not just wiping the pan clean after use, but need to use water and a brush, keep the seasoning process going. You'll love it like your wok when it finally gets there!

I have one non-stick pan I use only for eggs, so it gets TLC. Everything else is cast iron or SS lined/tin and copper here.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

A very good value in a clad stainless pan is Tramontina. Several pro chef forums recommend the line as a very competitive alternative to All-Clad. (Some find the handle design more comfortable than All-Clad's.) Plus, at that price point, if you don't like it or the kids trash it, you're not out much.

I've linked to the 8" at Wal-Mart's site, but lots of companies carry these in 8", 10", 12" and IIRC, a 12" braising pan with a lid.

I bought some of these pans when I discovered my old Farberware handles weren't going to hold up on my bigger gas range (a sad moment).

Even seasoned cast iron isn't as "slick" as it will become over time and the pores absorb more oil. A few batches of fried bacon or similar will go a long ways towards resolving the problem with sticking.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina 8

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I agree with Carol, cast iron only becomes better with use. I have a dutch oven that I use to deep fry french fries in and it's so slick nothing sticks. My cast iron skillet has 30+ years of seasoning and it's as slick as teflon, but it took time and use. I also have a deep Griswold cast iron "chicken fryer" which is really a deep skillet, but I got it at a yard sale and I'm still working on a really good seasoning. I don't think they are all that heavy but everyone has different perspectives.

Elery bought me a set of Calphalon Hard Anodized that I like a lot, and I have some of the old copper bottomed Revere Ware from when it was still really good stuff. The only non-stick I own is an electric skillet and it's fine but doesn't get a lot of use.

If you really want the properties of no-stick, I think you'll have to buy no-stick. As suggested, get an inexpensive set and plan on replacing them periodically. Either that or use your cast iron a LOT. Season it in the oven with Crisco or another solid shortening as mentioned above, then use it. It'll just get better and it will last long enough to hand it down to your grandchildren, if they are interested.

Annie

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Lisa, Since you've had good luck with your wok, a carbon steel skillet might be a good choice.

Concerning your problems with the cast iron, most new cast iron cookware has a rough cooking surface. I have yet to encounter one of these that has developed a decent non-stick surface. (I work part-time for a caterer and we cook in a lot of commercial and residential kitchens.) It's the older cast iron with a glass-smooth cooking surface that does.

• lisazone6_ma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys!

The surface of my cast iron pan IS very rough velodoug - I wasn't sure if it was because it was new or what. I vaguely remember some old pans my mom had and they were very slick and smooth. So will it smooth out with use or is it new vs old cast iron? Maybe I should keep an eye out for older pans at flea markets.

Carol - there's a $5 off coupon in the Costco flyer for a set of 2 Tramontina fry pans, 8" and 10"! I'm going to Costco after work today as a matter of fact, so I will check them out. I looked at the coupon since I'm thinking of getting new pans, but I brushed it off since I didn't recognize the name at all. Now, I'll definitely take a look at them while I'm there.

leel - (and everyone else) thanks for the tip - I'll pick up some Crisco next time I go shopping and use your method. I do really like the cast iron pan, but I have to say I definitely have "girlie" arms lol!! I'm always saying I have no upper body strength at all. You would think with all the heavy gardening I do I would, but I don't!!

The main reason I bought it was to make a fritatta with it and it always comes out best started on the stove, then finished in the oven, but none of my pans had oven safe handles. And that's another reason I want some Le Cruset pans too, but the price!!! You're very lucky to have some Linda C!!!

Lisa

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Lisa:
    I went thru the same as you, with pans.

Don't you remember your Nonna having a Steel Frying pan.
    Mostly used for eggs, they never stuck to the pan.

And if you touched her Pan you might wear it for an earring

Maybe you are too young to know but everyone had a 9 inch steel frying pan, until Teflon.
    I did too !!! wish I still had my old one.

Now I use 2 10 inch Cast Iron Skillets.

Amazon has a Carbon Steel 9.5 Pan for $29.90 ( Paderermo )

I keep putting it off but maybe you talked me into ordering one today.
    Lou

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I'd forgotten about that coupon! I saw it, but since I long ago acquired more pans than any reasonable person needs, I ignored it.

Tramontina is a company with a good reputation, plus those are made to Costco's specs. I don't remember if those pans are clad or have a bonded base. I understand bonded works a bit better on electric and clad works a bit better on gas, though a good cook can manage with whatever. One thing about Costco, it's really easy to return if you're not satisfied.

Or as suggested, there's steel. You already know the maintenance issues.

A lot of the newer manufacture cast iron does have a more rough surface, not the glasslike smoothness of older pans. But, just speaking for myself, I have found some Lodge pans (the pre-seasoned ones made in the U.S.) that are pretty smooth. It helps if you can inspect some for yourself rather than buying online and pick-and-choose.

I think sometimes we grow into certain pans. They age with us and become like old friends, dents and all.

Carol

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Lisa, No the rough surface on the pan will not smooth out with use. All three of my cast iron pans are old pans from church rummage sales.

I also have a French carbon steel omelet pan that is never used for anything but omelets and never washed with soap. I've considered buying one of the du Buyer pans I linked to above but haven't done so yet.

--Doug

• arley_gw
    15 years ago

For more info than any sane person needs on cookware and materials, take a gander at the link; it really does a thorough job of discussing the pros and cons of different types of cookware.

My favorite cast iron pans are old, too; I don't know why Wagner and Griswold and others could make a smooth cooking surface eighty years ago but Lodge doesn't seem to find that to be a priority in its new stuff. My favorite skillet was purchased at a junk shop for $5, and I've invested several months in seasoning it; last night I used it to sear a steak and then deglazed the pan for a sauce. I was able to clean it with a damp paper towel. Works great.

Two hints about cast iron:

If you find that there is a buildup of crud around the outside and inside, you can put the pan in a fireplace and build a hot fire. The next morning you can take out the pan (careful, it'll be hot) and allow it to cool. Most of the crud will be gone, and you can then reseason it. (I've heard you can accomplish the same thing by putting the empty pan in a self cleaning oven and running the self clean cycle, but I've never tried that.)

For seasoning, I use coconut oil. It's saturated and I believe it is less likely to go rancid than vegetable oils.

Here is a link that might be useful: understanding stovetop cookware

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Velodoug - I have to disagree; my Lodge (preseasoned, but I had to strip and reseason) is decidedly smoother now than when I first bought it. While they don't say "why" they manufacture it this way, here's what their FAQ says about it:

My new Lodge Cast Iron pan feels rough in some areas, is this normal?

Yes. With use and replenishment of the seasoning, the pan will become smoother. Unlike other types of cookware, Lodge Cast Iron only gets better with use. For concerns about roughness, it is OK to use a fine grade of sandpaper to smooth out the rough areas. Make sure to re-season the item before using.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

foodonastump, I oversimplified. The new Lodge pans are like the griddle on our Frigidaire gas range. It started out almost as rough as the Lodge skillets in the store. Over time the "raspy" feel has diminished, indicating that the high spots are being knocked off by the stainless spatula I use on it. But nobody would describe it as smooth, and 100 years of such use would not make it as smooth as my old Griswold or Wagner pans.

The reason Lodge manufactures it that way is to save money. They sand cast it and give it a sandblasting or some other quick abrasive process to make it a little less rough. The older pans went through a milling or grinding process to produce a smooth slick surface.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Any Cast Iron Pan can be sanded smooth.
    Put it in the Cleaning Cycle of your Range first.
    That will remove everything.

Then Grind away and Polish the bottom.
    Use a flat stone so you won't gouge the bottom.

To reseason the Pan :
    Wipe with Peanut oil or Vegtable oil.

Put it in a 300 Deg. oven for 3 hours.
    Take it out every hour and wipe more on Oil.

If you have a rough pan it's worth the little effort.
    Lou

• elphaba_gw
    15 years ago

I don't really have anything new to add except wanted to say how pleased I was to get so desperate that I dug into my cabinets and found two very old cast iron skillets that belonged to my husbands grandmother. We almost threw them away but thank goodness we didn't. They are WONDERFUL. No problems with sticking. I can fry an egg and it works great.

Maybe you could go to some garage sales or better yet "estate sales" and look for some old cast iron. But if that is not an option, I would recommend the lodge cast iron. I'm thinking of buying a dutch oven of that brand. Also a saucepan, heck with all these newer pan coatings. Cast iron ROCKS!

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Just as a caution, cast iron is brittle. If you put it in a fire to heat it, you risk cracking or worse. This is a sad occurrence, specially if it's an old pan you value.

I use electrolysis to remove "crud" but Easy-Off also works with less risk.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Fire Method of Cleaning Cast Iron

• aliceinmd
    15 years ago

I am a fan of having some cast iron pans and some stainless steel, and we prefer the best we can afford of both.

Someone on the Kitchens section posted the link to this All-Clad outlet a couple of years ago. I have bought several pans from them, always with good results. They might be selling seconds, but we have had to hunt for any flaws.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookware & More

• lisazone6_ma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The thing that kills me is that when we bought our house, it had the original 1930's kitchen altho the stove had been disconnected and was in the cellar. I opened the oven door and there was an old cast iron pan in there. Being young and foolish, I wanted a thoroughly "modern" kitchen, pooh-poohed the old cast iron pan and gave it to my husband's cousin who had a cabin up in the woods of Maine and who had numerous cast iron pans up there. I could kick myself now for giving it away!!

I should ask my mother if she has any old pans knocking around.

Hubby bailed out on Costco Tuesday, so we're going tonight instead, so I'm going to check on those Tramontina pans then. And I'm going to see if hubby can sand or grind the one cast iron pan I have and I'm also going to do the oven method with it to see if that seasons it better. I go to flea markets a lot so I'm going to keep my eye out for old cast iron at those as well!!

Lisa

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Flea markets are ideal. Also garage and estate sales. Thrift stores sometimes.

When my MIL passed away, she left behind wonderful old cast iron. I probably should have kept some but I gave it all away to younger members of the family. Occasionally I have a niggling regret, but mainly I'm glad the grandkids are cooking with grandma's pans.

This link provides specific seasoning instructions for seasoning cast iron. It comes from the Griswold and Wagner collectors. Even if you don't normally use it, Crisco really is superior for seasoning. It's worth buying a can. Once the cast iron is seasoned, you can use olive oil or peanut oil, etc. for your cooking. It's only for the seasoning that Crisco is recommended.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasoning Cast Iron

• catlady15
    15 years ago

I bought Paula Deen's cook ware.Love it.But after I bought it I learnt you have to be very careful what you use to stir things with when you cook with them.I use wooden spoons,and the good large plastic ones to dip with.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Lisa :
    Ask your cousin if he is using the pan, because you didn't have use for it, when you gave it to him.
    Maybe he will feel sorry for you and give it back.

If he don't, give him 5 across his lips. Lol !!!

Seriously ! he may have a pan for you.
    If he does , you owe me one.

Lou

PS : are you far from Philly Airport?

I'll keep a eye out for Cast Iron Pans in the Auction.

• lisazone6_ma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cousin is a "she"! Her and her brothers even chopped down the trees to build the cabin with - she's amazing!

Anyway, next time I see her, I'll ask if she's using it, altho it's been 20 years since I gave it to her. I'd feel a little weird asking for it now!

I'm in Boston. Maybe you're thinking of my trip to Philly for the Flower Show? I'll be there again next year lol!! Not much help now, unfortunately!

I picked up those Tramontina pans at Costco last night. They were $23.99 for the set of two and I had a $5 coupon. I'm going to toss the Caphalon ones I have altho it kills me - they were nice, heavy pans, but the Teflon is just a mess on them.

btw - thanks for that link arley, altho it's almost too much info!! I am going to read it over and do a little investigating and then when I reach a decision, invest in one or two really good pans that are going to be off limits to everyone except me!!!! I already warned everyone about the new pans, but I know they'll end up using them. They have to cook too, but it's just that they don't take the care with them that I do because they're not fanatics about cooking like I am!

I'm determined to find the best, non-Teflon coated pan I can tho. It's just silly to have to keep replacing them and I really am nervous about them peeling. Doesn't do me much good to worry about my organic food if I'm serving up Teflon flakes in it when I cook!!!

Lisa

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Lisa:
    I never realized that he was a she.
    Well you can't discriminate, you will have to treat her the same.

I'll make you a bet ! You will get it back. How Much ???
    Think I'll order the " Paderermo " Carbon Steel Pan,
    from Amazon.
    It's all your fault !!! Or maybe the Devil made me do it.
    Lou

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Well, you can't control the kids burning things but hide the metal spatulas. If they only have easy access to plastic or wooden tools, that may reduce the damage/extend the life of the new pans, LOL.

Carol

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Lisa, After diligently and patiently checking out the shelves at TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc for Tramontina, I finally have a custom set at a very reasonable price. There was a pot that seemed to be illusive; I was shocked when someone on the Cookware Forum found it and sent it to me. These compliment my cast iron and le Creuset. I think you will love the Tramontina, I did a lot of research before making the decision to go with that brand.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Mustangs:
    Did you get the Stainless or the Clad ?
    Lou

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Lou, all of the pieces that I have are Tri-Ply Clad Stainless Steel except the saute pans that I get from Sam's Club.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Cathy:
    I meant Stainless or the Coated.
    I think the Tri Ply has 1 ply of Aluminum with the SS inside.

Think I'm still going with a Carbon Steel Skillet.
    I miss my old frying pan

I want to be like my Grandmom.
    LOU

PS: A little tip you probably all know !

Heat the Pan before you put the oil in it.

• jessicavanderhoff
    15 years ago

From what I hear, dishwashers can damage teflon, especially if the water gets really hot. You might want to consider washing them by hand. If you do that, the Teflon should stay intact, and they should be easy to clean. Also, hide the metal utensils and just keep plastic and wood ones easily available.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

Metal utensils aren't all that great for cast iron either unless they are veeeeeeeeery smooth.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Colleen, I agree. I like wood the best, but some of my favorite utensils are those silicone "spoonulas" that Jessica bought me. I use them all the time, along with the wooden spoon that Dad and I made.

I don't have any Teflon except the electric frying pan, I'm just not careful enough to keep the stuff intact.

Annie

• kframe19
    15 years ago

I got a set of stainless steel about a year ago, Farberware Millennium, and I'm never going back to non-stick again.

The ONLY exception to that pronouncement are the 2 cheap Ikea pans that I use only for eggs.

I'm keeping my cast iron, of course, but non-stick and I are, other than the egg pans, through.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Colleen:
    Metal Spatula's are OK to use if the front is straight,
    not round. The very corners can be rounded and not square,
    ( 1/4 inch Radius )

Because in most Skillets the sides are Rounded. A square one would dig into the side.

I use a hand made Wooden Maple Spatula.

Lisa:
    With all this info, from 2 Posts , did you learn anything ?????

I do hands on, Tutoring, if you need some.

Lou

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

I mostly use Calphalon anodized pots and pans. My frying pan never sticks. I can make a beautiful omelet in it with a little bacon grease or butter. I don't ever use non-stick sprays on my pots and pans. And I won't have teflon in my house for the reasons posted above. I do want to get All-clad my next time around. In fact, I've been meaning to contact Calphalon because a couple of my pots have silvered inside, and I'm not really comfortable with the idea that the metal composition has changed.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022