SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Driveway access-WWYD

neetsiepie
9 years ago

After a years delay the County finally got a contractor in to start working on road improvements, including sidewalks, stormwater drains, bike lanes, street lights, etc. The good news is it will make our neighborhood safer for walking (we live 5 blocks from an elementary school) and lights at night are not a bad thing. The bad news is that we had a right-of-way shoulder in front of our place, that visitors used for parking. We're losing that but have the ability to park either on the cul-de-sac across the street or around the corner.

At the time of the public meetings we were specifically told that when the driveway aprons were going to be poured, we'd only have a 24 hour period where we would not be able to access our driveways and would need to park elsewhere. No big deal. However...

This contractor has been 'problematic' (County Engineers description to me). A week ago they put in the outer, street side curb. This is about 12" above grade of our property. After I complained last week that we had been unable to use our driveway for at that time 4 days, the sidewalk was poured in front of our place along with the driveway apron. But it drops abruptly at the end of our driveway. Actually, it's still within the ROW. The engineer told me that the contractor would have to create a ramp at a minimum grade to be level with our driveway. But, the contractor wrapped up for the weekend on Friday, and they wont be back to work till Tuesday. And even if they DO pour the grade ramp to our driveway. there is still the issue of the outer curb side being 6-8" higher than the road, because they cut out the road for the storm drain.

We will STILL not be able to get into our driveway for an unspecified time. This is now causing serious hardship for us-DH's business is virtually non-existent because no one can get in our driveway. I have to stop in the middle of the street, put on flashers so we can unload groceries!

And to add insult to injury-they were to put in a drain on our lot because we're below grade of the improved road.. They never did it. And based on the grade of the new sidewalk/driveway approach, all the water will flow back into our driveway, flooding our garage!!

Lets not mention the fact that there is still over two feet between the edge of the new sidewalk and the property line of our lot-it's still in ROW, and there is a 10-12" drop on our side of the sidewalk. Who is responsible for that? Oh, this is just SUCH a mess!!

So, I'm going to call the county on Tuesday and arrange to meet with the inspector to get my concerns addressed. But do you think I should ask for compensation for the loss of income for DH, for the serious inconvenience for us personally? I mean, imagine you could not access your driveway for two weeks! AND I know we're going to insist that they install a draIn in our driveway too. But that will mean them having to cut into the newly poured (and wavy) sidewalk. Oh this is just such a nightmare!

The photo shows the new driveway ramp, it's lower than the actual sidewalk. DH is standing in the ROW and that is at least 6" lower than the top of the ramp. On the far side of the ramp you can see where the asphalt has been cut and its road bed-that extends out 4 feet from this driveway ramp. It's at least 8" drop there from top of ramp to road bed.

Comments (21)