SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Neighbor making request - wwyd?

party_music50
8 years ago

I live in a small village where homes are *close* to each other, but I own an extra side lot. Village law dictates that fences must be placed 3 feet inside your property line, unless the neighbors agree that it can go on the property line.

When I bought my house, the neighbor on the open lot side had already put up a 6' wooden fence on the property line, so I assume I'm stuck with it always being there. Tonight the neighbor on the other side asked if he could put up a 6' wooden fence on the property line between us. That would put the fence just 3 feet from the edge of my driveway.

I'm not happy about this..... he has a dog that's out of control half the time (unattended) and he thinks that this fence will make it better for him to keep his dog contained. I think it will encroach on me and more than likely cause me wind and snow-drift problems in the winter.

I really don't want to agree to him placing the fence on the property line, and he cannot do it without my permission, yet I suspect that *I* will be considered a bad guy if I don't allow it.

I will also note that I've had problems with this neighbor using my lawn and driveway when he has parties, which is frequent. In one instance another neighbor told me that one day after I left the house they were flying electronic planes that were banging into my house and garage. I was afraid they'd break one of my windows so I asked him to stop playing in my yard/driveway... he basically argued with me saying that he wasn't hurting anything and therefore he should be allowed to continue! :(

What would you do about his request to place the fence on the line???

Comments (36)