SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
ovenbird

melted chocolate question

ovenbird
13 years ago

I tried to make a flourless chocolate cake for the first time yesterday. The recipe has 2 ingredients, chocolate (11oz) and eggs (10 separated). It called for the egg whites to be separated and whipped. I thought I followed the recipe fairly closely, but I must have done something terribly wrong!

I chopped up the chocolate (Valrhona le Noir Extra Amer 85% cocoa) and melted it in the microwave on medium. There were still some whole pieces which melted after a bit of stirring. The chocolate ended up nicely melted and glossy. The bowl felt slightly warm, definitely not hot. Then I let it cool for 5 minutes, as called for in the recipe.

I gently stirred the egg yolks and added them to the melted chocolate. That's when it happened! The mixture turned into a very firm, very large lump! Did the chocolate seize or was it still too warm and cooked the yolks?

How did I mess up what seems to be a very easy recipe?

Marsha

Comments (9)

• Tracey_OH
    13 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hmmm, almost every flourless chocolate cake recipe I looked at, including the one I use call for melting chocolate and butter together before adding the eggs. Is it possible the butter was left out of your recipe? It seems like it is an integral part of this cake no matter what recipe variation you use.

Tracey

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I agree...where's the butter?

• Related Discussions

Chocolate melting disaster!

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh man have I done that a time or two. The time that I tried to dip cookies was an absolute disaster. Have you tried to use the nuker? I would think that you could watch it better in a double broiler, but I've had pretty good success doing 30 second blasts in the horno de microondas and stirring with a wooding spoon after each one. I think some people add parrafin (sp) wax to chocolate that they want to dip things in. I've never done it, so not sure how it works. But, you certainly aren't alone! Don't even get me started on fudge... maybe we could start a new trend and sell choclate tooth breakers as a novelty item.
    ...See More

Melting Chocolate

Q

Comments (12)
    I hate the double boiler. I get it out for things that I'm going to dip, like buckeye candy but if I'm just melting chocolate for my regular brownie recipe or something like that, I just put it in a saucepan and melt it on low. I watch it very carefully and stir it a lot. Never had a problem. I have an electric stove, so low is really low heat. Tracey
    ...See More

Eureka moment with melting chocolate

Q

Comments (6)
    I've been using Ina Garden's method. In the microwave for 1 minute, take it out and stir it. There should be some that hasn't melted, not a lot. Just stir and the heat melts the rest. If there is a large amount that hasn't melted, just pop it back in the microwave for 10 SECOND intervals. But never fully melt it in the microwave or it's over done.
    ...See More

Cookies with white chocolate melting discs?

Q

Comments (1)
    Disclaimer: the following "recipe" is made for those white chocolate melting tabs. I think it is called "white trash", but given its addictive nature, "crack snack" seems more fitting. My family, especially me, loves it. 1 1/2 bags chex mix (I used Wegman's brand) 1 lb bag bulk melting chocolate 1 cup lightly salted peanuts Melt chocolate on 50% in microwave. Pour over other two ingredients. Stir to coat. Spread on parchment paper and separate slightly. Store in tupperware type container. Jo
    ...See More
  • ovenbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nope, no butter in the recipe but it could be a typo. I got the recipe off a blog (see link) that says the recipe is adapted from Michel Montignacs book, Slim Forever - The French Way.

Think I'll try one that uses butter. Any recipes that aren't too difficult?

• maureen_me
    13 years ago

Maybe that's how they stay slim forever--mix up the chocolate cake, get a gloppy mess, then throw it out without eating it!

I'm sorry your recipe didn't work. That's a lot of expensive chocolate to toss in the trash. I hope you were able to salvage it somehow?

This is the recipe I use most often. It's from Rose Levy Berenbaum's Cake Bible, and it has three ingredients--one of which is the butter they left out of the one you tried. It's easy--even though the instructions are longish--and it always comes out great.

Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte

1 pound bittersweet chocolate, room temperature*
    1/2 pound (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
    6 large eggs, room temperature
    * Beranbaum's note: Two of my favorites are Lindt Courante and Tobler extra bittersweet. If using Courante chocolate, add 1/3 cup (2.25 ounces/66 grams) sugar to the eggs while beating. If using extra bittersweet, add 3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces/37 grams) sugar. Heidi note: I added 3 tablespoons superfine sugar to the eggs when using the 70% Sharffen Berger.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter a 8-inch springform pan; line the bottom with buttered parchment or wax paper. Wrap of outside of the pan with a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil to prevent seepage.

In a large metal bowl set over a pan of hot, not simmering, water (bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) combine the chocolate and butter and let stand, stirring occasionally, until smooth and melted. (The mixture can be melted in the microwave on high power, stirring every 15 seconds. Remove when there are still a few lumps of chocolate and stir until fully melted).

In a large bowl set over a pan of simmering water heat the eggs, stirring constantly to prevent curdling, until just warm to the touch. Remove from the heat and beat, using the whisk beater, until triple in volume and soft peaks form when the beater is raised, about 5 minutes. (To insure maximum volume if using a hand mixer, beat the eggs over simmering water until they are hot to the touch, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat until cool.)

IMPORTANT: Be sure to add the beaten eggs to the chocolate mixture and not the chocolate to the eggs. This will insure a moist airy texture.

Using a large wire whisk or rubber spatula, fold 1/2 of the eggs into the chocolate mixture until almost incorporated. Fold in the remaining eggs until just blended and no streaks remain. Finish by using a rubber spatula to ensure that the heavier mixture at the bottom is incorporated.

Scrape into the prepared springform pan and smooth with the spatula. Set the pan in the larger pan and surround it with 1-inch very hot water; place on center of middle oven rack. NOTE: Baking in a water bath keeps the texture creamy throughout.

Bake 5 minutes. Cover loosely with a piece of buttered aluminum foil and bake 10 additional minutes. NOTE: The cake will look soft, but this is as it should be.

Remove from oven and let the cake cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes. After cake has cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very firm, about 3 hours.

To Unmold: Have ready a serving plate and a flat plate at least 8-inches in diameter, covered with plastic wrap. Wipe the sides of the pan with a hot, damp towel. Run a thin metal spatula around the side of the cake and release the sides of the springform pan. Place the plastic-wrapped plate on top and invert. Wipe the bottom of the pan with a hot, damp towel. Remove the bottom of the pan and the parchment. Reinvert onto the serving plate.

Chocolate Torte will store up to 2 weeks refrigerated. Do not freeze because it changes the texture.

When ready to serve, bring to room temperature. Cut into narrow wedges with a thin sharp knife that has been dipped in hot water. When this cake is served at room temperature, you get a rush of chocolate from the moment it enters your mouth. The full flavor of chocolate can best be appreciated only in a softened state. (A chocolate bar, for example, has to start melting in the mouth before the flavor comes through.)

Makes 16 servings.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

This one I like.

• compumom
    13 years ago

This is our favorite one-
    Flourless Chocolate Torte

Makes 10 servings:

8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used
    chips)
    1 C. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    8 large egg yolks
    1 C. plus 1/3 C. sugar
    5 large egg whites

paper doily
    fresh raspberries (optional)
    raspberry sauce (see recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degress F. Line bottom of 9 inch springform pan w/ 2 3/4 inch high sides with parchment or wax paper. Stir chocolate and margarine in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool until lukewarm.

Using electric mixer, beat yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until pale and very thick, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture in 2 additions and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites in 2 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake torte until crust forms on top and tester inserted into center comes out with some moist batter and some moist crumbs still attached, about 55 minutes (top may crack). Run small sharp knife around torte to loosen. Cool in pan on rack (torte will fall and crack). Remove pan sides. Invert torte onto platter. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and covered with cake dome and stored at room
    temperature.)

Grind 1/3 cup sugar in blender until fine powder forms. Place doily atop torte. Sift ground sugar over doily; gently remove doily. Garnish torte with raspberries, if desired. Serve with raspberry sauce. ( I sprinkled powdered sugar over top instead of grinding my own.)

Raspberry Sauce:
    2 12oz. packages frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed with juices 1 C. sugar

Puree raspberries with juices and sugar in processor until smooth. Transfer mixture to strainer set over bowl; press on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids in strainer. (can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated)

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maureen, too funny! That's an expensive weight loss program!

I'm going to chop the glop cake into little pieces and sprinkle on top of vanilla ice cream to see if it tastes good. If not, I'll just have to toss it and chalk it up to yet another learning experience.

Thanks for all the recipes...with butter!

• bons
    13 years ago

Here's the healthiest flourless, butterless chocolate cake you will ever eat. I've made it many times for my gluten-free friends.

Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    19 ounces of canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour (I use rice flour) a 9-inch round cake pan. (springform pan works great; I also use parchment paper on the bottom)

2. Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.

3. Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth (no lumps!).

4. Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed.

5. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.

Bake for 35-45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar after cutting, just before serving.

The cake will crack, but usually comes together again as it cools. It's delicate, and may crumble a bit when cut, but you can squeeze it back together. It freezes really well.

Bonnie

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bonnie! I never would have thought about putting garbanzo beans in a cheese cake!