SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Help with yeast troubles

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

I am having fun with my new bread machine, but I have ruined several loaves and I know it is the yeast. Half the time I can't even FIND yeast in the grocery store. I guess so few people bake bread anymore they don't bother to carry it. Plus German-influenced Allentown has great bakeries, lol!

Then when I do find yeast, what to buy? Fast rising? I think that gives bread a taste that is too yeasty. Sometimes I find kinds labeled "for bread machines" but that seems odd, isn't all yeast just yeast?

Then, how to store? The last batch I stored in the freezer, but that was the batch that just ruined the loaf of bread I made last nite. But I also seem to kill my yeast when I don't store it in the freezer. Also how do I know if it is fresh in the first place, given the sketchy stuff I find at the grocery?

Do I have other options for purchasing yeast? If so, where and how? Also, how to store over the long haul without killing?

I also know now I should test out the yeast in warm water before I make the bread.

All I'm ever going to do is make the bread in the bread machine.

Comments (29)