SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countryboyok1

Geothermal Sizing Question (4 or 5 ton)

countryboyok1
14 years ago

Ok guys,

I received quotes from two different contractors for a Climatemaster Tranquility 27 geothermal system with vertical wells. Project is a new home construction with 2,720 square feet. Both contractors say a 4 ton system will work thermally (both did a manual j). Second contractor stated that I would be happier with a 5 ton system due to the airflow requirements of a 2,700 square foot house. He says a 4 ton will not put out enough airflow and will compromise the comfort level in the house. First contractor says a 4 ton will work fine. Rough estimates for airflow are 1,700 cfm for the 4 ton and 2,100 cfm for the 5 ton. Upcharge for the 5 ton is $2,200, but I will get 30% of that back, so total cost will be $1,540 for the 5 ton with increased well depth.

So what do you guys think? Does a 2,700 square foot house need the additional airflow of the 5 ton unit (2,100 cfm) or will the 1,700 cfm from the 4 ton be fine. I am spending a lot of money here and don't want to skimp if the increased airlow will make a diference in the comfort level in the house.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)