SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morton5_gw

Morton5's Finished Kitchen: Ikea and Fire and Ice

morton5
14 years ago

We completed our kitchen seven months ago, but I've procrastinated on posting finished photos. Here they are at last!

Thanks to all for your many helpful ideas and comments as I went through the process.

I planned the kitchen myself-- a little tricky as the room is not rectangular. I originally planned a white/soapstone kitchen, but ended up going with a more earthy scheme because the kitchen is open to the FR, and also I thought the colors would be more family and pet friendly-- we have 5 kids, a dog and a cat. We are all very happy with our new space, and the surfaces are indeed forgiving.

We remodeled mainly because I disliked the downdraft range on my island. Plus, the cabinets were looking pretty shabby and some of the doors were splitting. I cook a lot, often for a big crowd, and I am loving the efficiency of my new kitchen.

Here are the details:

Cabinets: Ikea Tidaholm oak in black/brown, and Adel birch in medium brown (in pantry area and planning peninsula). I chose Ikea because I love their organization systems and their Blum tandembox drawers and glides. I assembled all of the cabinets myself and changed the edgebanding to match the door/drawer fronts. I was kind of excited to find "Made in Italy" stickers on all the Tidaholm doors. My GC's carpenter installed the cabinets. All drawers are full extension with soft close.

Pulls: Hickory Hardware

Granite: Madura Gold

Backsplash: Jeffrey Court's Fire and Ice, enhanced, kashmir grout (thanks Jodi in SoCal for the inspiration)

Range: Bluestar 36" RNB with island trim. The cabinet run on the range wall is pulled out 3 inches.

Hood: Futuro Futuro 48" plane (980 cfm)

Ovens: GE Monogram Advantium over ZET

Dishwasher: Bosch Integra 800 series

Refrigerator: Samsung French door RFG297. We pulled out surrounding cabs to make the fridge look built-in.

"Kid fridge" 24" LG LRBP1031 in Titanium-- love it! Holds the kids' yogurts, drinks, fruit, ice cream, frozen baked goods, ice packs-- and keeps the kids out of my way. In the same footprint as refrigerator drawers, I got twice the space at half the price. Between the Samsung and the LG, I have almost 40 cu. ft. of refrigerator/freezer space.

Faucets: Grohe K4 (prep sink) and Alira (main sink)

Tapmaster at main sink

Soap dispensers from Never MT web site

Sinks: Zero radius, 15 gauge stainless from Ebay-- 30" at main sink and 23" at prep sink

Table: Oak from reclaimed antique floor joists, from Ebay (barnseeker.com)

Chairs: Bonded leather from Overstock-- love them

Floors: Red oak, Refinished and stained Minwax golden oak, 3 coats of oil-based poly

I kept my old kitchen light fixture and ceiling fixture. I'm still planning on adding a couple of puck lights to the shelf behind the hood-- I have outlets at the tops of the high cabs, with a switch next to the range.

Thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Morton5's finished kitchen

Comments (20)