SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris45ny

Fire & ice install-start to finish with pics

chris45ny
13 years ago

For Kristine2009 and any others.

Things we bought:

1. 6 boxes fire & ice quartz tile-aprox. 30 sq. ft.

2. Custom Bldg. Products pre mixed Stone, Porcelain & Ceramic Tile thin set mortar-white-1 gal. bucket

3. TEC AccuColor unsanded grout #927 lt. pewter

4. Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold

5. Tile Solutions sponges-smooth on one side and rough on the other

6. 1/8" tile spacers-bag that look like Xs for the glass pieces and bag that look like flying saucers for the quartz pieces

Other things we used:

1. micro fiber cloths

2. rubber float

3. 1 1/4" putty knife

4. brass wire brush-about 1-2" wide-not steel as it will cause rust

5. DH used diamond tip blade on his skill saw attached to table. Wet saw for tile would be ideal. He made cuts for 3 outlets-cutting only the quartz pieces, not the glass. Looks perfect!

The process:

First I laid out all the F & I sheets on cardboard to make a pattern/color design. Initially we started to use drywall screws per poorowner's advice to see how it would look before applying the thin set. We didn't apply the tile in sheets as it would have meant very tiny pieces to be cut for the end of several rows. We installed each piece individually and I removed the mesh from all the peach and clear glass. We also used the umber/root beer glass and left the paper backing on them. This way is very labor intensive but resulted in only 2 small quartz pieces at the end of 47 rows total. The X spacers worked best for us on the glass tiles but I liked the larger saucer ones for the quartz pieces. After, we used the Aqua Mix to seal the tile. I used micro fiber cloths-wet and dry-to clean only the glass pieces. After 3/4 days ready to grout. Nervous about this. Just follow the directions as to mixing, wiping, etc. Chose lt. pewter from TEC which is shade darker than desired end result of delorean gray. DH applied the grout. OMG-it is so dark!!! Will this be a HUGE mistake?? Following directions, start to sponging. Wring sponge-don't want water dripping. Even with the before sealing the grout will stick to the crevices of the quartz. Micro fiber to wipe the glass. Brass wire brush for the quartz. Surprise-it looks good and the grout has lightened to almost exactly the delorean gray. YEA!! After few more days, we apply the final coat of the same sealer and I only wipe the glass tiles.

Here are some pics. HTH. It is a DIY project-not too difficult but very labor intensive to get it right especially since we are not pros!!

Comments (12)