SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2010

Backsplash start-stop-start-stop (Pics)

rookie_2010
13 years ago

Hello all,

I was very excited this weekend because I assumed my backsplash would FINALLY be finished. I have a new installer, finally found a match to the tile the old installer started with and got things in motion getting our house finished. He left an unfinished backsplash and 3 unfinished bathrooms, one floor was so unsatisfactory, it had to be ripped out. He took the materials with him when he walked off the job. So, I went back to the source of the original tile to get enough to finish everything. However, they do not sell to consumers so it was a huge fiasco. So finally, things were started on the backsplash today...........and apparently, the new installer didn't order enough to finish it :(

So, since I was so excited to share it after all these months, I'm going to share it anyway.

Now that it's in, although not finished, I think the kitchen has taken a major turn for the seriously traditional. I'd planned a more casual look but I do love how it's coming together. I'm a little nervous it doesn't go so well with the rest of the house but I guess that's something I can hash out over in the Decorating forum, I hope.

For everyone who helped me figure out what to do with the backsplash, Thank you!!!! I ended up using every single last remnant from the kitchen island, I just couldn't bring myself to waste an inch of it. Also, I can't BELIEVE I still haven't swapped the fancy corbels in the picture with the plainer ones. The fancy corbels were a mix up with the cab company.

One more thing, is this kitchen reading serious formal traditional to the rest of you?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

I don't care what it's reading...its gorgeous!! I trully love it...

• malhgold
    13 years ago

I don't think shaker doors CAN read "formal, traditional". I think a more ornate door would have pushed you in that direction. I like the direction you took with the lights over the island. Definitely not formal or traditional. I think once you move back in, you can add some of your own casual touches. Plus. once it's a working kitchen, it won't look quite as "pristine" as it does right now, which I think makes it look more formal. Beautiful job....

• Related Discussions

LOUD electric buzzing. Stops.Starts.Stops.Starts...

Q

Comments (4)
    Try these on for size. http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Insects/Cicada.wav http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Michigan/WAVsounds/vitIL72.WAV http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Michigan/WAVsounds/vitMO93.WAV http://www.naturesongs.com/cicada1.wav I'm pretty sure you're hearing one of these. The length and pitch of the buzzes would depend on species, temperature, time of day/night, season.
    ...See More

Need Help Where To Stop Tumbled Marble Backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello, I don't have any advice for you as I too am going through lots of backsplash woes right now. But wanted to tell you your kitchen is really nice as is! Also, for those who don't like to copy/paste the URL's, I added a link here to your PhotoBucket Album. Here is a link that might be useful: rjdavis21 Kitchen Album --Where to stop Tumbled Marble
    ...See More

Where to start/stop kitchen backsplash?

Q

Comments (18)
    @Suzy - your kitchen looks amazing. What color silicone did you use for the joints between the backsplash and the countertop? @Joseph - I was thinking of extending it all the way up to the ceiling, but we've decided not too. Our kitchen is quite tiny. Thank you for the advice though, I appreciate it. @everyone - we have decided to leave the sides alone. No backsplash. Thanks again for your feedback and advice, and especially for taking the time to post pictures. You're all awesome :)
    ...See More

Stopping and starting backsplash tile

Q

Comments (1)
    that's a great round-up, thank you for sharing it, cpartist
    ...See More
  • monkeymo
    13 years ago

I think it is lovely....reads casual elegance to me!

• minette99
    13 years ago

Breathtaking! Really beautiful! I see more elegant than "serious traditional." Love the backsplash! The lanterns add a more casual feel, too. Serious traditional would have called for chandeliers maybe, so I think you're doing a lovely job! I agree with you on the corbels -- the ones you have are lovely, but simpler ones will keep you more casual.
    It's spectacular! Can't wait to see the finish! :)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Looking good. Think the paint color really makes a difference with your cabinets. Glad it's all working out for you.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback like you wouldn't believe! It's so different than what I originally planned, I'm happy with it but surprised every time I see it. Could be due to the kitchen in my current house having peeling formica and impossible to clean laminate floors in the late 70s kitchen, it's startling to see a new one and not think it's too fancy for me.....
    I didn't have a KD or GC, except for myself and DH so most decisions were made as a compromise for something I really liked that DH didn't or to correct what began as a weird cabinet color.
    Minette99, I was just checking out your finished bathroom on the Bath forum, love it!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. To me, the corbels on the range hood, the turned "leg" on the lower cabinet, and the expanses of gorgeous marble make your kitchen look formal and traditional, but in a modern and inviting sort of way. Your plan to switching out the formal corbels will help make it look less traditional. Sometimes marble looks "cottage". But the scale of your kitchen makes the marble on the island and backsplash look more "elegant" than "cottage". I agree that the shaker cabinets "soften," or render more casual, some of the other more traditional elements. The rustic door to the right in your picture also adds a more informal element.

• jeri
    13 years ago

I agree - Casual Elegance - which is my personal mantra and the goal for my kitchen. Yours will be an inspiration for me. :-)

• jrueter
    13 years ago

Just from the picture of the range area with the fancy corbels and the marble, it does read more formal, but then in your second picture with the more rustic lanterns, dark granite (I think I remember these were granite?) counters and the wooden pantry door it definitely has some more casual elements. And once you start accessorizing you can really emphasize the casual feel if that's what you want.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Francoise, Jeri and Jreuter,
    I really need to get on the ball and get those corbels out of there. Anyone want them? They are pretty, just not what I ordered.
    I'm trying to be more deliberate with accessorizing in a casual way, so much so that we should be living in the house within another month (I hope!) and I haven't even bought as much as a new tea towel yet! I just keep browsing and browsing. I'd like to visit the Decorating Forum but I can't stay off Kitchens long enough, lol.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Some of the elements are picked from different eras, but it's YOUR kitchen. I think that having a kitchen with some formal elements mixed with some more "informal elegance" items is just fine. Frankly, the corbels are a real kick. The turned posts and the 18th century lanterns are just fine too. Some wonderfully ironic items would also help define the flavor: cherubs? a Picasso print? large checked fabric? a strong contrast color used at least 5 times? a "candlestick" two hand telephone?

Your backsplash over the range is going to be very good, but if you could somehow retain that angled line, it would be even more intriguingly eclectic. It's not too late to insert a screwy trim piece or listello into the upper left quadrant. :-)

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florantha,
    Thank you! I love the idea of throwing in some irony. As a matter of fact, I have my eye on some of those Picasso prints of his simple line drawings of birds. With the right frame....hmmmm. I really, really can't wait to lose those corbels. The turned posts were also a mistake by the cab company but when my husband found out they open into soup-can storage, I knew they were there to stay. Although he's never expressed any interest in our canned goods before.
    As for the backsplash, I'm not looking at it again until I know it's too late to change anything! I can't believe I'm worrying about form so much when I should be wondering why the appliances are still in the garage and the water isn't on.......

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I love it! I can't wait for you to finish and start adding the casual twist to it. I think it is great to take a space, have the bones be elegant and formal, but then create a casual atmosphere in there! Your lights are helping you already with this. It is a delicate balance, and I think you are right on track! This is sort of what I have done with my kitchen. Although I have crystal chandeliers, I have leather chairs at the table that are sort of "lounge"-hang-out chairs. Just throw a big chunky cutting board on that marble and voila, you will be on your way to the look!

I know what you mean about not wanting to waste any of your countertop material...I love my BA, and I was cleaning out my garage this weekend and found the sink cutout...I am trying to figure out how I can make that into a table!

Your kitchen is quite spectacular! Congratulations

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Rookie - I think it's looking fabulous and I LOVE the new backsplash behind the range!! I think that as soon as the corbels are changed out that will go along way for making it feel less formal. Also, like everyone has said the stained door, paint color, and lighting really go along way to make it feel more casual. Actually - I think the juxtaposition of the different elements here really are amazing and make your kitchen so interesting and different - I'm definitely thinking a lot about how to make a standard white, marble kitchen my own and you have definitely done that!!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Stunning!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Beekeeperswife! I love your kitchen so much, I checked it out on the Mission Tile and Stone site too, fabulous! I asked my fabricator to make me lazy susan's out of my sink cutouts. I have one marble and one in granite. They're pretty heavy but they blend right in when they're sitting on the counter. The marble one is going to go on the wood breakfast table because I'm not so sure I want that one to blend in.
    Aokat, thank you! You're kitchen is going to be spectacular. If I could have chosen any size, layout and style kitchen I wanted, I'd have plucked yours right off the page!
    I tried to remove the corbels myself this morning because I'm off from work. No luck. Best left to the carpenter I guess. I bet he'll do that last.
    Thanks Pricklypearcactus! I appreciate the positive feedback. It's scary to spend so much money and then fear I'm creating a frankenstein every time something gets installed :)

• kippee
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is understated elegance and an interesting mix as well. I think when you go from your peeling formica to the kitchen you now have, it can feel like a huge leap. Trust in your decisions and enjoy!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kippee!
    It is quite the leap. There were no learning experiences in between the formica and the marble, except that peeling formica end strips get caught on EVERYTHING.