SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

LA get-together: titillating our taste buds with Thai

jessyf
15 years ago

Gina rallied the troops for the Los Angeles contingent to get together - final body count included Lars/Kevin, me, Gina and Diana. Ellen had to drop out at the last minute. We met Saturday at lunch to sample Northern Thai cuisine, at a restaurant picked by dlundin, called Renu Nakorn. Most Thai food restaurants have the same items- pad thai, mee krob, red/green curries, etc. This unassuming, casual strip mall gem is known for something different and indeed we were all happily surprised, except Diana who knew her way around the menu. Apparently the owners also started the famous Las Vegas joint, Lotus of Siam, menu here so you can get an idea of our choices. Im cutting/pasting from that webpage to help describe the dishes! Between all of our food restrictions likes/dislikes, we stuck to chicken and some pork dishes.

The first dish was chosen by Diana  Thai papaya salad, This classic dish from Thailand consist of green papaya, chili, dry shrimp, tomato, crushed peanut mixed with lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. It was spicy! The shredded fruit was crunchy and did NOT resemble what I thought was ÂpapayaÂ. We all agreed it was delish.

We chose a soup, TOM KAH KAI, with sliced chicken without the usual coconut milk, straw mushroom, galangal, lemon grass and a touch of lime juice. Light and flavorful.

We moved onto main courses Â

I think this one was Kang Care chicken; Âa unique Issan style red curry is a combination of local vegetables, your choice of chicken or catfish chunk (with skin), without coconut milkÂ.

One of our favorites was a brothy egg noodle chicken dish, I think it was called Khao Sui, I cannot be sure and google images didnÂt help. Ah the joys of culture.

This next one is a popular, not to be missed regional dish, grilled sour pork sausage, served with fresh chili, ginger and peanut. Everyone else said it was good, LOL.

We also ordered a slightly spicy (since I gave our order to the waitress, I specified Âmedium heat since IÂm a heat wus) chicken fried rice dish which was quite flavorful Â

And to finish off the meal, Diana said we could NOT leave without trying the sticky rice with mango dessert. Wish I had more room! The mango was PERFECTLY ripe.

Here we are, the happy bunch  left to right a very svelt Diana, Gina, me, Lars. Thanks Kevin for taking the shot! Thanks to Gina for organizing the day (and picking me up), Diana for choosing the restaurant, and Lars/Kevin for taking time from their big move preparations! It was great to catch up on our news (and othersÂ..heh heh) and start planning for Sharon and Clive's visit next month.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!