SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Surprise party success!

neetsiepie
13 years ago

We managed to pull it off! Everyone arrived early to help set up, and we had plenty of people to go run off and pick up some things that had been forgotten. Good thing for cell phones.

The only fly in the ointment was that I missed her entrance. I was in the house with my girlfriends, who were the cover story, and mom was supposed to come in to the house. But my DH stopped her and had her go out thru the garage & shop out to the deck where everyone was at. So I missed seeing her, and I heard she was overwhelmed and crying. It was probably good cuz I'd have been crying too. But my brother had the camera set up and he got the pix, I guess he was also teared up!

Mom was so genuinely touched that it made it all worth it. She said she didn't know what to do since she'd never been the guest of honor before. We had great food, every fixing you could imagine for tacos & burritos, including a terrific vegetarian dish made with sweet potatos, yams, tofu, garbanzo beans and black beans.

My nieces got a pinata & filled it with candy and later in the evening had mom whack at it. She'd had a couple of margaritas, so we didn't blindfold her. We had set up a pop up canopy on the deck, covered it with lights and crepe paper and put the bar back in there. We had 3 blenders going!! Mango margaritas, who knew how good those would be?

I'd had everyone write something about mom on a paper and we read them to her while she guessed who had written it. She REALLY liked that, she even commented on that again today when we saw her.

DD made amazing posters, we had great conversations, singing, laughing, everything for a great party. The guests commented that mom needed to have a birthday every week so we could have such great parties more often. Gotta say, we can throw a fun shindig! I don't have pix, but when my brother gets them to me, I'll try posting some. Thanks for the suggestion of the taco feed...that was awesome.

And, best of all, this morning my brother & his family showed up early and we got the whole backyard cleaned up in a snap. I just have to load the dishwasher one more time and it's all done. DH and I are heading to the coast tomorrow to bring mom's present (a statue) to her and I can finally relax. Till next year, when mom has promised she's going to pay me back on my birthday (50!!)

Comments (6)