SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benjinmass

Sanity check on heat pump installation quote?

benjinmass
15 years ago

I live in central Massachusetts in a house that is about 2600sf, though it's all cathedral ceilings throughout -- no attic, and lots of windows. We do have an unfinished basement. We have an oil furnace and baseboard heat. In summer it is not uncommon for the upstairs bedrooms to be in the upper 80s at night, and with my wife pregnant this summer I thought it would be a great time to put A/C in. In the interest of resale value, I want to go with real central A/C versus the ductless split systems.

I was bracing for the job to cost over $20k, since we have no existing ductwork. But multiple estimates from local installers came back in the upper $30k's and low $40k's. I'd like to get your opinions on whether my quotes sound reasonable. After reading some posts on here, I'd almost expect the job to cost half as much as my quotes...

Of the 3 quotes I got, one I threw out immediately, since the guy didn't do measurements for a load calculation, and didn't even think to look in the basement for installation possibilities to handle the 1st floor. The other two companies seemed very professional and did full load calculations and provided detailed quotes. They both called for a 5 ton system for the 1st floor and a 3 ton system for then 2nd floor.

Below is the quote from the local Carrier dealer, the company I felt the most comfortable with overall, and with A+ rating from BBB. Since there was only about a 5% increase in total cost to go with comparable heat pumps in place of AC-only compressors, I asked them to quote the heat pumps.

- two each, (1) 5 ton and (1) 3 ton:

* Carrier Infinity 25HNA6: 16-SEER two-stage R-410a heat pump

* Carrier Performance FV4: variable speed fan coil

- installation and materials for everything (including ductwork), one in the basement and the other on the ceiling of the garage

- 2-zone system for 1st floor system

- Aprilaire 5000 Electronic Air Cleaner (x2)

Total quote: $42513 + ~$2000 for electrician work

The Trane dealer came back about $5k less, but that was for non-heat pump systems. I also feel like it was a less reputable outfit. So, any opinions on whether I'm really looking at a $40k job, or if I'm being taken for a ride? Thanks!

Comments (12)