SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobkenyon

Sanity check on what I think is a lousy counter install

Bob
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Ok. Long post coming up - so be forewarned. :)

I've lurked on gardenweb for years as I've done my own home improvement work. I have rarely hired contractors because (a) it's really hard to find good ones and (b) most work I am capable of doing myself. Until the kitchen.

We we are doing a facelift - same layout, painting cabinets, new counters, sink, cooktop, and refinishing the hardwood floors. I'll do the backsplash myself once the counters are done.

The cabinet repainting ting was done by a local company and looks awesome. (White)

The counters are MSI Shadow Gray Quartz - and if done right would look great. But here is my problem - they weren't done right. The contractor I used just now decided that my "punch list" was too much work and we are parting ways with me having paid a little over half the original $3500 or so.

I just want to make sure I'm not one of those impossible to please customers and that I really should have expected the contractor to make this right for the original price.

Here is my expectation: new countertops are installed square, properly supported with no chips or scratches. I don’t believe those to be particularly high expectations.

1 - No chips or scratches: There are four pieces to my install and all four pieces have at least one significant chip or scratch in it. One scratch I saw before the installer left was fixed by coloring in with a black sharpie and filled in with some type of resin - the fix “feels” good to the touch - but looks like it was colored in with a black sharpie on medium grey countertops.

2 - Properly Supported: I have a white cast iron/porcelain undermount sink that they installed. When they installed the sink - it's supported from below, not mounted to the underside of the counter - the left side of the is above the plane of the cabinet frames so a good portion of the slab is supported by the sink instead of the cabinets. When I look through the gap at the front of the counter I can (a) see the edge of the sink and (b) see light filtering through between the cabinets and the counter all the way to the left edge of the slab (so I know it’s supported by the sink and not the cabinets). This has caused damage to the sink (the porcelain has cracked).

3 - Square: the counter top on the right side of the island is not square. It starts off overhanging the cabinet doors by 1/4” and ends with the cabinet doors sticking out 1/4” - so it’s off by 1/2” from one side to the other.

There was one issue that is on me - there were some white specks in the quartz counter top we picked that weren’t evident in the sample. I got over that issue - partially because we chose one of the cheapest quartz options so you get what you pay for - so this review has nothing to do with that particular issue.

On top of the above I also think the seams are mediocre at best, but I don't really have a frame of reference. I knew they wouldn't be completely invisible, but they are quite a bit more noticeable than I expected. And the edges seem ragged - like when cutting tile with an old blade on a wet saw.

This is the sharpie repair

This is the left and right of the island.

And here is a shot showing the gap where the Quartz rests on the sink.

And one of the seams

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!