SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Bariatric surgery - Any experience or advice?

gwlolo
10 years ago

Any direct experience with people who have done elective bariatric surgery? Would love some advice on behalf of my friend.

A dear friend reached out to me and said that she is seriously considering bariatric surgery, in particular vertical sleeve gastrectomy where they cut the stomach and make it much smaller. She is petite and about 80-90lbs overweight and is developing complications like high cholesterol, diabetes etc. For all the years I have known her, she has always struggled with weight issues. She eats quite healthy and what she knows about nutrition can go in a book! Her issue is her appetite. She can eat a large salad and still have room for a restaurant size serving of pasta. She has lost 30-40 lbs in the past but always gained it back. She asked me to help her get some objective perspective on it. Her insurance will likely cover it and all the advice out there on the internet in places like youtube is mostly positive (as it is mostly posted by people undergoing the surgery). I want her to be healthy and happy but am concerned about risks which she may not be considering. She still has to work out and watch her diet and eat more protein etc. which she is prepared to do.
She is particularly concerned about social judgements she may run into if she shares she had bariatric surgery at work, with relatives and friends etc. Would it be unethical if she just shares she is doing a medical weight loss plan? Right now she is the funny smart girl and she does not want her future life defined by the discussions about the surgery. She just wants to lose the weight and move on.

Comments (31)