SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomorrowisanotherday_gw

Hysterectomy next Tues.--any advice/movie selections?

Well, after hemming and hawing for years about doing this, I've finally decided to go on and have my hysterectomy. (pain level is just too much to deal with anymore) They had an opening in the surgery schedule and I am having it next Tuesday--yikes! We are moving Thanksgiving to Sunday and making it VERY low-key. (Just my parents are coming)

I've got no doubts that this is the right thing, I just find myself getting kinda nervous nonetheless. It's just supposed to be an overnight stay at the hospital and then back home for 2 weeks of rest/movie watching/computer time (yay!). Then I guess I can just take it easy for another 4 weeks. Doc's telling me I'll feel better, but tired, in a week after surgery--any thoughts on that timeline? Is he sugar-coating it for me?

Any suggestions for movies? If I put them on my Netflix queue now I'll have no trouble getting them by next week.

Here's the stupid part: I know I should be concerned for my self, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed about missing a big Thanksgiving and then feeling too tired for doing the details of Christmas. I keep telling myself it's GOOD timing, so I can hit the ground running mid-way through January (I want to look for a job), but I've got all of these unfinished projects staring me in the face--waaaahhh! I want to be painting instead!

Anybody out there with any pearls of wisdom for recovery?

Comments (46)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Give us a clue...comedy, drama, foreign...

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

No,just take care of yourself.

• Related Discussions

downloading zip files, became movie clips?

Q

Comments (27)
    crafty lady, I have a folder the unzipped files go to, not crowding the desktop, then I can do them at my leisure. Never any probs previously, and still think it is the site doing this, as when I use my FF browser, have no problems at all, can change from media files, to win RAr and it stays when clicked, as won't do when I use IE. Am not having any luck going to Accessories, etc., to change the titles either, so what else can I do? I also do save target as, and always went directly to zipped folders, now becomes a movie clip, even before I can download.
    ...See More

Watching the same movie over & over and..........

Q

Comments (12)
    Shane's now moved on to new movies. We were watching the Disney Movie, Dinosaur a lot last week. He watches Cats & Dogs everytimg we go to Jer's dad's. This week he's watching a Bob the Builder movie that my Mom bought him for Christmas. He does learn stuff. He'll mimic things in the movies and say new words. It gives him quiet time where he'll sit down and just watch and learn. Gives me time to clean up the previous messes he made. It's not all bad. They'll get tired and move on. My Dad had several girlfriends over the years and I remember one girl made us watch 101 Dalmations all the time and his last girlfriend's boy at 2 loved Backdraft! ~Leslie~
    ...See More

(Long) Need Advice on Dealing with Changes at Work

Q

Comments (60)
    Glad your eyes are all good and no serious issues. To be honest I don't see the implementation of the system as anything degrading to you or your colleague who also got put on it or anything saying you got lumped in the same bucket as that with no other responsibilities. Rather I see the reason for it as you both have people that come to see you so you got added as part of the sign-in system and that is what you have in common with the other advisors. It is only to make sure that students have continuity and same method for all points of contacts. Doubt it has anything to do with your actual position. Just that they want one system for all students to use so there is no ambiguity of what to do in either case. It is unfortunate that there was really poor communication. I do think I would bring up or file an enhancement request to the system (if you have a web based IT form) to request that they update the pinging to not happen to all people as it can be quite disturbing - not only when working on other things, but while advising the students as well. Since the amount of time spent with students varies based on the advisor type this can cause several interruptions to you and your co-worker, but maybe not as much with the other advisors. I'd phrase it in a helpful way and work on solving the only problem I really see with the system. As for students just dropping in, just say - "would you mind signing in and we'll have a chat. They've implemented a new system and although my door is always open having you sign in would be greatly appreciated"
    ...See More

Seeking advice: Living room layout / TV vs Fireplace

Q

Comments (8)
    Do you have plans for the niches next to the fireplace? Maybe builtin storage cabinets and TV on a pull-out swivel on the right. The L side you could leave blank or have shelves above the lower cabinet. It will add some architectural interest and allow for storage. Then a seating area in front of fireplace - sofa and 1-2 chairs. A small desk area in the space between sofa area and dining. Though I’d probably have a computer station that closes off (do you need for desk top or just lap tops?)
    ...See More
  • peytonroad
    14 years ago

I haighly recommend an epidural, they can use it post op for pain control, that way you won't have the cons of narcotics intravenously postop. They can sedate you as well.. This is acceptable for anesthesia. Good luck

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Quit thinking about doing projects and take care of YOU.

My sister in law had a hysterectomy and said it was nothing.

If you want a good laugh and are not offended by swearing rent Funny People. I laughed my head off, it was so funny.

Good luck to you and have a nice Thanksgiving on Sunday.

.....Jane

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I have major advice for you. Buy a bottle of Milk of Magnesia!

I had a total hysterectomy a few years ago, and the gas pains were worse than the incisions! I forgot to read the instructions when I got home, but it said to take Milk of Magnesia to get your bowels going and get rid of the gas. Someone ran out and got it for me and a few hours later I felt so much better! lol.

My intestines were "moving" after the surgery so it was okay to release me, but I kept complaining of gas pains and they didn't do anything to help. That was the worst pain EVER.

Milk of Magnesia. Oh, and you'll need an extra pillow to put on your side when you sleep because it gets very uncomfortable sleeping on your back, and you'll have the pillow to help you sleep on your side without much pain.

You also need a pillow to cough or sneeze, hold it to your tummy area to prevent it...exploding or something. :)

And make sure there is food in the house that YOU like. I had my dh go to the store while I was in the hospital and he neglected to buy the foods I like. Typical man.

You'll probably be too groggy to read anything, so watching movies is the best bet.

Recuperate in the bed that's EASIEST to get out of. Trust me, it's hard lifting yourself up.

Seriously, it's not that painful with the pain meds they give you on the way home, and as long as you have that gas under control.

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

Not too get too graphic here, but is your surgery abdominal or vaginal? Mine was the latter, and it actually was OK. I had one of those pain pumps going post-op, and never took the heavy pain killers they gave me to take once home. I was out of work for 6 weeks, but my job involves heavy lifting. Doc said most women complain about being tired for a few weeks, that's it, and I agree. Good luck!

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

MOM as Oakley says. The gas pains are the worst. Your bowel is asleep and you aren't IYKWIM ??!! As soon as you get up and start moving asap you will "pass gas" and all will be OK. LOL.

I had my hysterectomy and bladder tuck done on Jan 2 and ran a 10 K with one of my best times ever on Feb 14th. Love Your Heart Run. I have never ever done anything better than have that surgery. Oh I had the abdominal with the low low incision. Had 2 fibroids removed. This was when I was 45. So go for it and you will be so glad. Life has been wonderful and "sex" too since the surgery....sorry if this is TMI but it is hard to get someone to tell you the truth.

Oh also are you keeping your ovaries? I did. They lasted about 3 years and then they stop since the uterus does secrete hormones which help them keep going. If you are having them removed then be sure you are getting a patch on before surgery to prevent catastrophic menopause...this is what it is called. You don't want to wake up to hot flashes. Hope you do great !! c

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Good luck with your surgery. What type of movies do you enjoy? Since you have Netflix, perhaps you could post what you have seen recently (and liked) to steer us in the right direction.

Try not to get yourself overly concerned about the holidays. There is always next year!

Everyone's healing process differs. I encourage you to take it one day at a time. Make sure that you take good care of yourself, eat well, take lots of naps, put your feet up and allow others wait on you. It takes your body a good bit of time to recover from any surgery. No lifting for sure.

Accept offers of help and from friends and family.

If you don't already have a cleaning person, schedule one to come in to clean for you if that is something that will drive you nuts. A very close friend had a hysterectomy a few years ago. The gals in my circle of friends got together and sent her the housecleaning crew that a few of us use regularly. The crew went in twice (every two weeks) during the month that my friend was recouperating. They did a nice job. Flowers and fruit baskets are great, but we knew she would rather have a clean house as well as clean clothes and bath towels when she wasn't up to doing it. May sound crazy, but recouperating in a clean house was something my friend really appreciated.

I would probably put a few casseroles together over the weekend. Something that you can thaw and put into the oven will ensure that you eat right during your recovery as well. If you are going to be shopping and cooking for an early Thanksgiving, I would do a bit of extra chopping, etc. for a few easy dinners. I realize this surgery is on quite short notice, so that may not be an option. Just a suggestion.

I send you positive thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• n2cookin
    14 years ago

Netflix is a wonderful idea. My TAH was exactly the same date as yours, 2 years ago. Netflix was, what I thought, going to be my entertainment while I was lounging around. Unfortunately we had a bad ice storm and no electric for 10 days. So no movies for me, darn!

Recommendations: I bought some big scrub pants with tie-string waists and they were great for bathroom trips, just pull the string and down they went. Remember, everything inside is swollen and sore and you don't often know when your bladder is full until the very last minute. Those scrubs were a lifesaver!

I took Gas-X which helped tremendously with the gas pains. Yes, they hurt more than my 9-inch incision did.

I cooked some meals ahead of time and froze them so DH could just toss them in the slow-cooker to heat. But then again, no electric!

Make sure you do no sweeping, mopping, unloading dishwasher because you will pay dearly! No bending over and no exerting yourself at all. You only have one chance to heal correctly, so let this be YOUR time.

I viewed my TAH as a long holiday vacation and yes, it was nice to have the rest and recuperation. I was released to drive on Day 10 and actually spent the whole day shopping. But like I said, you will pay the next day if you overdo it, so please be careful.

Happy thoughts to you and enjoy your break! You only get to go through it once, so make it a vacation for yourself!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awww...you guys are the BEST!!! It's nice to hear the encouragement and advice :) I'm 42 and only a few of my friends have had this, and none of my close friends has. Mother had a hysterectomy years ago, but had some complications (not serious, just not a "normal" recovery) so it's nice to get the scoop from others who have been there.

The surgery is supposed to be transvaginal. He is going to make a decision about the ovaries once he's gotten a good look at them. I think the right one will come out and the other will probably be fine, if past pain is any indication. I'm also supposed to have a pain pump post surgery. I had not heard about the epidural option--I'm going to ask about that!

I forgot to mention that I do get a bladder sling too--I'm soooo ready for that! No one ever mentions that having kids might mess you up that way longterm, LOL! I'm inspired by your run post surgery, Trailrunner. That's awesome! And the sex part is good to know too--not exactly TMI, considering the topic. Frankly, that's why I'd been sticking my head in the sand for the last few years and avoiding the inevitable. Funny, when I asked Doc if post surgery sex would be the same as before, he said "I certainly think not--don't you think sex w/o pain will be better???" Duh. Now I know why he makes the big bucks :)

I'm also supposed to do a bowel prep the day before--hopefully that'll somewhat negate the need for the MOM, but I'll get some just to be prepared--thanks for the advice!

I'll call my old cleaning lady and see if she can come a few times--that would be very nice indeed. Awesome suggestion. And I needed to see that in print. Thanks :)

Now for the fun. I do like off-kilter comedies. A Mighty Wind and Best in Show come to mind as faves. I think Arrested Development was one of the funniest TV programs evaaahhh. Old stuff is good sometimes too--To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest, Philadelphia Story were all good ones. Romantic comedy is good (When Harry Met Sally) as long as it's not too ridiculous.

Sci-fi is my least favorite genre. I thought I'd have to call a divorce attorney after DH REQUIRED me to stay awake through Watchmen--yuck! I've got no desire to be scared, depressed, or emotionally taxed by a movie this time either. (Children of the Corn is definitely out!)

Thanks again for all the positive vibes--I can feel 'em already :)

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I totally forgot about the gas pains. Oh, that was the worst part of my hyster.

Also, I didn't realize how TIRED I'd be afterward. I mean, I thought I felt ok, but got so weary after a short time. Guess it was my bodies way of telling me to rest.

Do not even vacuum...I heard that it was one of the worst things you can do after a hyster. Something to do with the push-pull motion.

Enjoy your time off. After you're healed up and never, ever have to deal with feminine hygiene products again, you'll be sooo happy. I wish I hadn't waited so long to do mine, but it was so worth it.

• Bethpen
    14 years ago

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy two years ago in January. It was the best thing I ever did!

I watched every episode of Arrested Development. I also watched all the episodes of Dead Like Me. I really like that show too. When I had knee surgery for a torn ACL I watched a lot of HGTV.

Just make sure you take it slow after surgery. A great website is Hystersisters.com. EVERYTHING is answered there. It's nice to communicate with others in the same boat as well.

Good luck!

Beth

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I wish you all the best with your surgery and hope your recovery is quick and easy! Take extra good care of yourself, and don't worry about those unfinished projects! They'll wait. For now, the focus is on you.

If you like offbeat movies, you might enjoy "Away We Go" with John Krasinski (from "The Office") and Maya Rudolph. I thought it was really cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: Away We Go

• Oakley
    14 years ago

The reason I had gas pains was because I couldn't go to the bathroom. That's what caused the horrible gas. The MOM got me going immediately and boy, it was a life saver. So IF you get gas pains and haven't had a BM after your surgery, just make sure you have it on hand when you get home. It's very gentle on your system. I walked and walked the day after (in my room) and was just dying. And I still couldn't "go." It took me four days of suffering before I read about the MOM. lol

They put a patch on me and a week later it fell off. I decided to see what a real hot flash was like and guess what? I haven't had any menopause problems. Nothing. So I never had to take hormones. I was lucky!

I had my MIL buy me two house dresses so I wouldn't put anything around my waist, and they really came in handy. I looked like a dork, but oh well. :)

One last thing, and this is a personal decision of yours. Think about having your ovaries taken out too. You'll never have to worry about the "silent killer" of ovarian cancer.

I had to have two blood transfusions before they'd touch me because I lost so much blood and I thought it would go away on it's own. I was at home and nearly fainted so I thought I should go to the ER. Glad I did or I could have had a stroke!

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Another thing you might want to do is stock up on books or magazines. You might not feel like concentrating on anything right away when you get home, but you'll have plenty of time on your hands soon enough! Go to a big discount store or Barnes and Noble and get a stack of shiny new magazines and set them aside for your down time.

The housecleaner idea is a great one! Best wishes for a great surgery and easy recovery, Tomorrow! Since you'll be on the computer you can check up on us and let us know how you're doing! I'm sending positive thoughts your way :).

(Too bad you're only in the hospital overnight. If you'd be there longer you could send us photos of your hospital room and we'd all give you lots of suggestions and Photoshops of new curtains, rugs, bedding, etc. for you! We'd be careful to exactly match the blue and white of your hospital gown, too.)

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I had a hysterectomy w/bladder surgery a few years ago at the age of 37 and am so glad I did. I kept my ovaries and the doc didn't say anything about them only lasting for a few years after the surgery?

The pain was manageable with the morphine pump and then pain pills for the first few days. By the time I went home a few days later, I don't recall having issues with pain that weren't remedied with my prescription.

My complications post-op came from the bladder sling. It was too tight - which is rare - so I came home with a catheter and kept it for a few weeks until I learned how to catheter myself every few hours. I was completely miserable and a month later, they did a correction surgery and everything was good. My urologist said that just never happens to any of his patients, and most are off the catheter in the usual time.

Good luck and don't do too much! My biggest mistake was not letting everyone cater to me for a few days!

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I don't want to start a debate, but concerning what oakleyok said, I want to point out that having your ovaries removed is not absolutely a guarantee that you won't get ovarian cancer. My mother had a complete hysterectomy, including ovary removal, in 1985, and died of ovarian cancer in 1994. Not to be a downer, but I hear people say this so often and it's just not true. I'm sure it vastly reduces your chances, but it's no guarantee.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I am a little on the fence about the ovary-thing. I see the doc again on Monday for a pre-op and want to ask some more questions about that. My mother is all over my case to have them out--her sister and grandmother had OC, so there is a bit of a family history of it. If I were a bit older, I'd probably be more inclined to just go on and have them out (knowing that a small risk still exists, thanks for the info, sueb20). I'm just not sure I want to give up my own hormones just yet, especially if the ovaries look good to the doc. Hmmm...I think there is a lot more internet research in my near future, LOL.

Hystersisters is great!! Thank you, Beth!

folk--funny you should say that about the room--I have actually found myself doing stuff like that. Once I took a fandeck to the doctor's office so I could try to match the beautiful tan of the walls. When nothing looked right, I thought about calling maintenance to see if they'd tell me what the paint was--but then I chickened out! Ordinary hospital rooms could generally do with a complete overhaul, but I have to say that the hospital where I had my son needed no help--It is known as the "baby factory" around town--and the rooms are spectacular!

• anntique
    14 years ago

I know this is big decision, and I wish you a very speedy recovery.

I don't have any movie suggestions unfortunately, but I can share a few things I learned.

If you can, treat yourself like a princess the day before surgery. You might as well practice being a princess, because you'll have to treat yourself that way afterwards! Enjoy this time. I think you'll feel better than you expect, but your body is healing so really take it easy, follow your doctor's orders and don't feel guilty about focusing on yourself.

The day before my TAH I treated myself to a massage, and believe that it really helped relax me and prepare me for surgery. If your doctor OKs it it might be something to think about. A pre-op pedicure isn't a bad idea either but you probably won't be able to have polish on on surgery day. It would be nice though to have your feet done and toenails buffed. I wasn't able to bend and/or think about getting up into the pedi chair for a little while post op. Just a thought. Keeping yourself busy the day before is great because it helps to keep your mind off of the fasting. Really, follow your doctors orders on the fasting part of the program too, its very important and it really helps post-op.

I know you know about not lifting or pulling anything, but I made the mistake of trying to roll the big trash can back up the driveway one day. I thought tilting and pulling the empty can back from the street was no big deal. I was wrong, don't do that. Same with pulling wet clothes out of the washer. Never never never do that.

The surgery itself was a breeze for me and recovery was much easier than I expected. I hope it will be for you as well. I am afraid I can't give you specifics as it is all a distant memory for me even though it was just a year ago. I put it out of my mind because I was so much better off shortly after surgery than I was pre-op. I sincerely hope that you will have the same experience. Best of luck!

I can't wait to read the boards next week and hear about how well you are doing! I'll be thinking of you!

• golddust
    14 years ago

I can not offer advice but I am sending my thoughts and hoping for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Spoil yourself rotten!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

How does one get ovarian cancer if they don't have ovaries? Both my GYN and GP told me I don't need anymore checkups. It's all gone, there's nothing there, not even a cervix! Which I didn't know until a long time later. lol

Did you mom have cancer of the ovaries when she had her surgery?

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Now I know, but it still doesn't make sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ovarian Cancer

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Wish you well on the surgery and recovery.

I am starting week four after knee surgery. I got books and magazines and planned all sorts of small stuff to keep me amused. Wish I had written down my plan.
    I got some recipes organized and in some laminated pages in a binder, went through my entire stash of Southern Living, Cottage Living, Country Living, Traditional Home, Beautiful Home, Remodeling, etc., and threw out tons of old mags.
    I bought a bunch of 99 cent pretty cards at Trader joes and finally sent cards to people that deserved them. Some got photos I've been meaning to give them, some got thank you's for long overdue thank yous, some got 'thinking of you' cards because they have had surgery or problems or stresses or issues.
    I called my mother twice a week as opposed to the once per month I usually have time for. (it's at least a one hour call--what can I say?)
    I bought stuff online. (I rarely do this, but now my DH has the new Droid phone from Verizon and my DD has some red baby shoes her friend couldn't find anywhere in town) Also sent for a new icemaker filter for my Kenmore frig!
    I bought potting soil, some nice pots and plants and got some potting done for fall.
    I meant to get some bulb catalogs and do some flower ordering but that didn't happen.
    I bought some fabric and am almost finished with dining chair seats, plus finally got the other set of dining chairs to the upholsterer so they will be ready next week.

I meant to redo my file drawers and get some things done in that regard, but didn't.
    Meant to get stuff photographed and listed (TWO WEEKS AGO!) on Ebay, but didn't.
    Meant to cut out fabric and make some drapes, but didn't.
    Meant to go visit friends that are at home but didn't.

So there are some ideas and there is the admonition to write down your plan. That way, you can schedule boring stuff for when you still are in pain, slightly more active stuff for when you feel better, and you can save the really active stuff for your last week home. I messed myself up and did some of the 3rd week stuff end of the first week. Bad idea. Bad. That's why I need a 4th week.

Again, gather your stuff, try not to be too anxious and prepare for Everything!

Red

• texanjana
    14 years ago

No advice since I haven't been through it, just wanted to say I hope everything goes very well and you have an easy, uneventful recovery.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, we'll be here for updates !!

As for entertainment, you might like to get engrossed in a tv series, we are liking The Closer right now, pick something that has a few seasons in the box already.

abc.com has 5 free current episodes of their popular shows, you might amuse yourself by watching those for free.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Hey tommorrow- I posted earlier but had no suggestions at the time. I have now gotten work squared away and can think of this coming week.
    In the past when I have had surgery( too many me thinks) I watch a favorite movie since I tend to fall asleep watching,at least for the first week. I plan to watch Lord of the Rings next week- I probably won't get through the first one! I have a bunch of books, but I know better than trying to read anything but a magazine with lots of pictures the first week. LOL like decorating magazines- I have a couple to take with me.
    I will be thinking of you on Tuesday.
    THIS is important- Don't try to tough it out. Keep up with your pain meds after you are off the PCA pump or whatever. Don't do what I did once and think I really didn't need any- until I coughed- OMG! I started taking them again and it took a bit to get back under control! Hold a pillow tight over your tummy if you need to cough- it does help.
    Take care of you!

• loribee
    14 years ago

My suggestion is to buy some Plum Smart...tastes good and works wonders.
    I had a more involved surgery so my recuperation time was longer-
    but the worst thing is comparing yourself to others.
    Everyone is different.
    Sending you good wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery.
    You will feel such relief after. :)
    Check in when you can and let us know how you are~

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

I had my hysterectomy over five years ago. The worst thing about it was that I wished I had done it earlier. Even though my recovery was a bit painful and longer because it was abdominal I have no regrets. Life is so much better now. I remember the Hystersisters! Wonderful site.

The thing I remembered most about my recovery was that I was bored. Couldn't drive the first two weeks, couldn't do yard work or garden. I didn't know about this site! That would have kept me busy. Try looking at all the GW forums and the next thing you know you will be back on your feet.

Good luck and take care.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

No advice, just wishes for a speedy recovery. BUT - take it easy and don't overdo. Those chores/projects, etc. will be still be there. This may be a great time for planning, not so much doing.

No movie suggestions, but I think the Netflix idea is a good one.

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Good luck with your sugery. I am thinking of having a hysterectomy as well, but scared to go through with it. Your thread helped a lot!

One concern is for ovarian cancer (runs in the family), but now I'm reading you can still get overian cancer even after the ovaries are removed? HOW???

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

I found my answer! Scary, but all we can do is keep up with our doctor's visits, insist that it is not in our "heads", and no, we are not being overly emotional about anything.

Best of luck to you on your surgery. I hope you return to share with us. I won't have mine done until next spring though. I like the epidural option and will ask for that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ovarian cancer

• mom2girls_2008
    14 years ago

I had my hysterectomy when I was in my early 40's too... My surgery was abdominal and one ovary was removed during surgery....The other posters are correct when they say to rest and listen to your body. Oh and yes, the MOM was helpful and so was walking around the house, slowly lol... Even after the first month, my stamina was not what it was.. it took a while but I was so happy with the results.. couldn't believe I had waited so long to have the surgery!!

I just recently watched "The Other Boleyn Girl" .. it was very good!! I enjoyed reading the book a few years ago too!

Be sure to accept help when offered... don't push yourself.. Good luck with surgery and take care.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I'm still reading but want to say this post is similar to advice I would give you

I have major advice for you. Buy a bottle of Milk of Magnesia!

I had a total hysterectomy a few years ago, and the gas pains were worse than the incisions! I forgot to read the instructions when I got home, but it said to take Milk of Magnesia to get your bowels going and get rid of the gas. Someone ran out and got it for me and a few hours later I felt so much better! lol.

My intestines were "moving" after the surgery so it was okay to release me, but I kept complaining of gas pains and they didn't do anything to help. That was the worst pain EVER.

Milk of Magnesia. Oh, and you'll need an extra pillow to put on your side when you sleep because it gets very uncomfortable sleeping on your back, and you'll have the pillow to help you sleep on your side without much pain.

You also need a pillow to cough or sneeze, hold it to your tummy area to prevent it...exploding or something. :)

And make sure there is food in the house that YOU like. I had my dh go to the store while I was in the hospital and he neglected to buy the foods I like. Typical man.

Hubby is taking Milk Of Magnesia - works. He's not taking a full dose - so try a smaller dose 1st.

Also buy Gas-X thin strips, I like the cinnamon. Great for gas pains. Gas pains will probably be a big source of pain depending on how the surgery is done, as well as your own body. Go to the pharmacy yourself before you go in so that you can pick the flavors you like; and if the pharmacy doesn't have what you'll like, you can go to a different one.

What I did so that I wouldn't sleep on my back was slept on the couch. I laid on my side, got a king sized pillow between my legs & a soft couch pillow under my arms. That was enough to keep me on my side.

Good luck.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I'm also supposed to have a pain pump post surgery.

Gonna tell you, be prepared for no pump even though the Dr tells you they will. Both of my back surgeries said I would, 1st Dr changed their mind at last minute. Dr 2 gave me one but the unit stopped working. It took 1/2 a day for the staff to realize it was the machine & not me.

My complications post-op came from the bladder sling. It was too tight - which is rare - so I came home with a catheter and kept it for a few weeks until I learned how to catheter myself every few hours. I was completely miserable and a month later, they did a correction surgery and everything was good. My urologist said that just never happens to any of his patients, and most are off the catheter in the usual time.

Keep this in mind; as is mentioned your bladder waking up could take time. Every surgery I've had, including a vag delivery of my 1st child (2nd was fine) I've had a cath. It's something I didn't realize until it was too full; and at that point, it's stretched so big that it's very painful. Then you have to wait for them to ultrasound & cath.

My hubby usually has no problems in the pee department. After his last surgery (removed the cancer in his neck) even he couldn't pee. He also has no issues with constipation & is the most regular person I know; he's had issues with that as well since his surgery.

This is why I say MOM and Gas-X strips.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all of the encouragement and suggestions!!

I had my pre-op at the hospital today and we are still go for tomorrow. Mom brought me a huge bag of decorating mags yesterday--yay :) I've also gotten my gas-x and the MOM ready and waiting. The house is cleaned and all I have to do today is put away some laundry and finish creating my "recovery nest" in the bedroom. Oh yea, and do the lovely bowel prep. Ick.

My very sweet DH got me set up with Netflix instant viewing in our bedroom! I've been filling my queue...ready to watch some old movies and TV shows now!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Just dropping in tonight to say I am thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery, a quick and painless recovery. Hoping you may even come out of this feeling a little indulged.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Today is the day, all the best of luck to you !!!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

You will be in my thoughts today.
    Is there a surgery time?

• rucnmom
    14 years ago

I had a hysterectomy this summer - emergency. As in, doctor says, " We are doing this tomorrow." Was is hospital for 5 days. General anesthesia, morphine drip, needed narcs at home. Did not poop for a week - that was pretty uncomfortable. Still feel sporadic weird pain but was pretty good after 10 weeks. Mine was like a c-section cut - the skin is numb in the area still. That is hard to adjust to- feels strange.

Pluses outweigh the minuses and glad I had the procedure. Best wishes and take it easy afterwards!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm baaaaccccckkkkk!

The surgery went very smoothly and I actually feel pretty darn good. I am happy to report that the doc found no problems with the ovaries so they got to stay. The only time I've felt "pain" was Tuesday, just after surgery. They hooked me up to the pain pump and that was the end of it. I am now doing the oral narcotics and they have it all under control nicely. I have to say that it's soooo good to be back home! My skin crawls with the narcotics so having my own (cotton) sheets, pj's, towels, etc. makes all the difference in the world.

So, all I can say at this point is that things are going very well, and it really was not all that bad after all :)

I'm still very tired, though, so I'll have to settle in with a movie--I'm quite sure I'll fall asleep watching it, but that is just fine!

Thanks again for your encouragement and advice--you guys have been super! I hope you are all having a terrific Thanksgiving day!

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

That's great news....please just remember to take it easy, though. Time for you to rest and recuperate.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

great news! no thing like being at home. take it easy. heres a pain pill toast!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*clinkckink*

To health and healing,
    CHEERS, cooperbailey!

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

YEAH !! I am glad that you TOO are on the road to recovery. May it continue to go very smoothly. Take it easy and keep us posted . c

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I left on vacation and dropped out of this conversation but thought I'd point out that I think the important thing that happened with my mom is that, because she assumed she couldn't have ovarian cancer because of the hysterectomy, she ignored the symptoms for much too long. By the time she was diagnosed, it was already too late. I have to think it is rare to get cancer after having a hysterectomy, but obviously it can happen. Just a lesson to all of us to be alert to those sneaky symptoms. Because of my family history (mom and paternal grandmother) I am religious about annual exams including pelvic ultrasound.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I've been away, just got on this AM and posted to "learning to cook" thread then had to take DD for Xrays (she jammed her finger playing Bball in PE).

So I'm just catching up (have to see what's going on with CB since I saw thread), glad the surgery went well and the pain is under control. Hope having your own sheets and clothes is helping, so just veg out, watch the tube, and post when you can!

(I'll have to ask you gals later about the sling surgery - surprised some so young have had it but I think I'm ready for it after 2 vag. deliveries - esp. DD's 5 min after my water broke, I think she pushed things way out of line she came so quickly.)