SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Tonsillectomy As An Adult: Any Experience?

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

DD is a 22 y/o college senior and has been plagued with bouts of strep throat for the past year. Frustratingly, her university is a hard 8 1/2 hour drive from us, and it hurts to know that she's suffering and I'm too far away to be with her. Thankfully, DH (a family practice doc) is able to diagnose her via Skype and call in prescriptions for her. She also keeps other needed over-the-counter meds always on hand, so she has them immediately when needed. And, her being a physician's kid, knows what to look for and how to describe her symptoms accurately. But this last bout was the week of her final exams and the week before we all flew to Georgia for an 8-day vacation. The strep was horrible this time, but my sweet, strong daughter managed to make it through exams, getting good grades on them all. But, she was still pretty wiped out for the first few days of our trip, poor thing!

We all agree, though, that she needs to have her tonsils out as soon as possible. That won't be until mid-July, as she's taking her Spanish 3 class at OU first this summer. I still have my tonsils and DH had his out as a kid. I know that the pain is so much worse having them out when you're an adult. And, the recovery time longer. Yes, DH is a very experienced physician and can help take good care of her. No, he won't be operating; we'll have the best ENT doc he knows operate, but I'm still her mom and I want to do everything I can to make this as easy as I can for her. I've already told DH that I plan on staying in her hospital room with her, 24/7, until she's discharged. That's non-negotiable. I've also asked him to be in the operating room with her. I know that he can be, but I'm not sure he'll do that.

At the moment, besides strong Rx pain-relievers and popsicles, I'm not coming up with many ideas. I'd really appreciate any advise, personal experience stories and ideas.

Comments (20)