SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hickoryhusker

Opinion on New Construction system

15 years ago

This is our first build and I am an HVAC novice, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Our builder has given us a bid from two companies and encouraged us to use the one listed below -- it was less expensive and the builder uses them regularly.

Here is the proposed system. This contractor uses Tempstar.

Installation of three systems in new construction home. Systems include:

Main floor -- 125,000 BTU 92% furnace; 5 ton 14 SEER A/C; Ductwork, humidifier, digital thermostat

Main floor -- 75,000 BTU 92% furnace; 2.5 ton 14 SEER A/C; Ductwork, humidifier, digital thermostat

2nd floor -- 100,000 BTU 92% furnace; 4 ton 14 SEER A/C; Ductwork, humidifier, digital thermostat

Per our builder, the two units on the main floor will split the job of heating/cooling the main level and basement. We will be able to "close off" vents to the basement if we want.

The bid is for $24,321.

We are in Iowa and our house is 3,050 square feet on the main level, 1,500 upstairs and we will eventually finish about 2,200 square feet downstairs.

I am sure there are many questions that need answered or asked before we go ahead with any HVAC units. Is this unit right for our house? What questions should I be asking? It would be ideal to have a seperate system just for the basement -- would this be possible/efficient?

Fire away and thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (17)