SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithnights

2 zone system in new construction..do it now or can do it later?

lithnights
10 years ago

I am having a 2 story colonial 3200 square foot house built in PA. The builder is putting in one 5 ton heatpump, with propane backup. My obvious fear is uneven temps between upstairs and downstairs, and after lots of great feedback from some of my other threads, I would like to do a zoned system.

They have already run ductwork for the 1st and 2nd floors (but have not installed the main plenum or return in basement). They are drywalling next week so I need to make a decision ASAP.

My problem is, the builder is quoting me an additional $3600 premium for a 2 zone system (Honeywell I think). We don't really have that kind of money but could do it next year or so. Furthermore, longterm I would love to have a 3 maybe 4 zone system, which would likely be even more. We'll hopefully be here 20+ years.

So..
1. I understand zoning involves the cost of 2 dampers, the extra and more complicated thermostats, some extra wiring, running 2 smaller plenums instead of 1 larger plenum etc., but an extra $3600? Is this really a realistic cost for this for a new install? Keep in mind the basement is entirely open, and the house is not drywalled, so we're not talking major work to run through walls like it would be as a retrofit. And the plenum nor return ductwork is installed yet. So is there really that much extra labor here to justify that price? Am I better off waiting until next year, when I can bring in a few reputable companies and at least try to get a couple different bids and ideas? Or could it possibly cost more to have someone come in next year to do it?

2. Assuming I could do it cheaper next year (by getting some competitive bids), I am leaning towards just having them run the wiring for future thermostats and anything else that can be done now, to get ready for a future install. Is there anything else they could/would run now that would make a future install easier/cheaper?

3. Based on my floorplan (attached) do you have any advice on zones? If I could afford 4, I'd love to do one for the left side of 1st floor, one for right side of 1st floor, one for master bedroom, and one for the left side of the 2nd floor for the other bedrooms. Thoughts? Should I expect to pay a much larger premium to get 3 or 4 zones? i.e. how much would it cost to go from 2 to 3 to 4 etc.?

I would appreciate any guidance on this major decision.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations