SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Imported Kitchen Ware: Are Foreign Standards As High As Americas?

cupofkindness
17 years ago

So much of the things I buy for my kitchen are made abroad, the main producer being China. I have always harbored a skepticism about goods made in third-world countries or in some Asian countries that have poor or minimal standards when it comes to industrial practices that liberally use metals like lead or cheap oil-based materials in the final product. I'm concerned with ingesting toxic materials. So for example, I don't own dishes that were perhaps made with poor quality glazes, pans with cheap non-stick finishes, etc. Not only that, but I have issues with other aspects of production (labor practices, impact on the environment, pricing) but this thread isn't about these matters.

Well, I've been wanting to buy a glass canister set that come in sets of three with metal lids that look like pewter. Today, I found them at TJ Maxx priced individually so they are a good deal. So, although it was hard to resist the amber, cobalt blue and brilliant red, I bought the clear glass jars with a fairly ornate lid (the top looks like an acorn) that has a silicone ring seal on the inside edge. When I saw that these were made in China, I wondered if I should worry about storing foods like flour, sugar, etc in these canisters. I would think that glass is very stable and this glass isn't colored. But I don't know what to think. I could put different varieties of pasta in these canisters, however, I really want to use them to hold food rather than serve a decorative function only.

Has anyone heard about the safety of glassware imported from abroad? You know, when I go to the dollar store and look at some of the junk that people will buy to eat off of, I get sick. I've also decided not to even keep the cheap cups that my children are always bringing home from school events. I look for recycling symbols on plastics. If the piece doesn't have a recycling symbol, then I suspect that it is poorly made and I throw it away. All of my dishes and serving pieces are Corning, but come to think of it, my cute eight sided cups (that match my octagonal kitchen) are probably made out of cheap plastic. Egads!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (7)