SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

High end European kitchens are particle board???

uscpsycho
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was just about to order my kitchen from an Italian cabinet maker when I discovered that they use particle board for their cabinets. He said that all the high end european cabinet makers do the same. Hard to believe so I did a little research and I think he may be telling me the truth.

Can anyone confirm that this is normal and that it is satisfactory?

The designer tells me the particle board is heat treated and meets some super high standard of waterproofing so that it won't be damaged by water and steam and such. The waterproofing standard is called v100 M1 class water resistant. (I couldn't find much information about this online.)

I don't know yet if there will be additional cost but he said that I can request plywood instead of particle board if I want to. Again, from doing the research it sounds like the high end particle board might actually be better than plywood, at least aesthetically.

What do you guys think? Is the particle board from a high end European cabinet maker as good as or even better than plywood? Would you take the plywood option if it's the same price? What if the plywood is like 20% more?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville