SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbia

Foreign furniture

brownthumbia
12 years ago

I just bought some living room furniture....leather sofa and matching chair. They told me it would probably be about 2 weeks before they could deliver it. When the 2 weeks were up I called to see how things were going. They told me,after checking on the computer, that the furniture had just gone through CUSTOMS!!??! I asked them what in the world they were talking aboug and they said the furniture was made overseas. I asked in what country and they said China. I exploded!! I said,"you mean to tell me that my furniture was made in China when we have military people coming home from horrific wars and can't find a job and YOU are letting the Chinese make my furniture???" Then they told me all their leather furniture was made in China. Now I could have, and should have cancelled the order right then and there and because I didn't makes me just as guilty as they are. However, I have bought my last piece of furniture from that company. It is an Iowa based company and for some reason, I guess I thought it would not have been possible for them to stoop so low. Money is not that important to me that I would take jobs away from our bravest but not so for the rich. How sick and sad.

Comments (51)

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I disagree with caran. I would be surprised, too. We still have great furniture factories here in the U.S. At this point in my life, I don't need anymore furniture but If I do, I will be sure to check where it was manufactured. In lieu of all the problems people have had with dry wall coming from China, I would worry about what it was stuffed with.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no, I didn't cancel and that's why I said it is my fault as well. And anyway as you pointed out, it wouldn't have done much good because another brand would have been made the same. Yes, I know everything is made somewhere else and I'm sorry, I hadn't bought anything for a long time because money IS an object with me. I can't go out and buy what I want without saving up for a long, long time first and of course they would have kept my downpayment. And it sounds like you are a little miffed at me and I'm sorry if I hit a nerve. I also do not believe in being sitting ducks and not let them know what we think of their policies. I just had to explode over this and I'm so sorry for the military that can't find a job, yet go shopping for their families and finding 'made in timbuktu' on everything they look at.

• Related Discussions

Garden Furniture jepara

Q

Comments (0)
    Sell garden furniture from Jepara furniture cheapest wholesale prices, ready to accept orders both local and foreign. we are also looking for buyers who are interested in developing products garden furniture from Jepara. and we will give you the cheapest price, ready to work for the development of furniture products. contact us http://www.furniturejepara.tk/ or ali_future@yahoo.com
    ...See More

Ashley Furniture = Don't do it!

Q

Comments (16)
    dianne47 is correct for the most part. I've been in the furniture biz for 30 yrs. All those manufacturers still produce & have plants in the US. Most of the foreign aspect comes in with the parts - for instance, manu. will send US materials overseas to make parts of the furniture then ship it back for assembly in their (mostly) NC or VA plants. If more than 50% of the labor/materials is overseas, they legally have to say it was made in China, Thailand, VietNam, etc. Most have their own plants there & do not include sweatshops. Most textiles have moved to China & Canada, unfortunately. There are, I think, only 2 mills left in the US. A lot of upholstery is "cut & sewn", meaning that the fabric is produced & sewn in China, then shipped to the US where it is then upholstered on the furniture. This manufacturing process has changed because Americans no longer wanted to pay for US made prices, in general. Competition is incredible, & US freight costs account for the majority of overhead costs. If a furniture STORE nets 2% a year, it's doing well - so much for that perception of a ridiculous mark-up in furniture. That's why so many have fallen to the wayside. The manufacturers who have tried mightily to stay 100% US made...are no longer in business. Every manufacturer has a "good, better, best" category. The "best" will be all American made. La-Z-Boy & Ethan Allen is THE ONLY furniture manufacturer I know that is still run on their own, not by a conglomerate. Furniture Brands Inc owns I think EVERY manufacturer other than Ethan Allen & La-Z-Boy than dianne mentioned. Even Stickley has 30% of it's line is foreign. I have worked for EA & LZB & they are EXCELLENT & UPSTANDING companies. Bassett is another fine company. Ashley...not so much. I would NEVER buy a stick from them. They are shady & shoddy. I could talk for HOURS about the furniture industry - it's very fascinating. I went to High Point twice a year for years & have been to many manufacturing plants up to 2 yrs ago. I was weaned on Furniture Today (industry publication) because my father was in the furniture biz for 30 yrs before me. I seriously read every copy that he brought home - it was one aspect of how I came to be a designer. Sorry for the rattling on. ~Jeana
    ...See More

Auction Results: 5-figure furniture.

Q

Comments (19)
    The people that I know that buy art and antiques or vintage furniture don't buy as investments, they buy to collect. It's a different mindset from the investor, but there is still a concern about value, because they may want to acquire now, because they see prices only going up, and they may not be able to afford it later. Because isn't this only an investment that pays off if you Sell it? I have mentioned this story several times in different contexts but I know a elderly man who lives in a small, ordinary house and he has an exceptional small collection of Impressionist, post-Impressionist, and Modernist paintings all bought by his parents directly from the Artist or their representative when new. He is (or was) actually rather impoverished until he was able to sell some of the smaller pieces that could be authenticated. However he has one work which could potentially net close to 8 figures at auction IF the piece can be authenticated and a number of experts say it's real and a number are skeptical because it has never been seen before. This part has been done through photographs and documents, but to be sure, the piece would need to be transported to Christie's or Sotheby's, and authenticated. He can't afford to insure the piece for transport which would apparently cost over $100,000, or afford the authentication process, which no one has offered to do on spec. I think this is why he is selling off the other pieces. So it sits hidden in his house. Or he could be making it all up, I've never seen it and wouldn't know if it was real if I did.
    ...See More

Frank Lloyd Wright home with original furniture

Q

Comments (23)
    I actually begin to feel anxious when looking at pictures of FLW houses. I grew up in Chicago and lived in Oak Park, so eventually visited all his buildings that were open to the public. I understand their architectural significance, their museum quality, and even their appeal to some people. But not to me. IMO they are cold, uncomfortable, dark, and off-putting. Where do you read a book, seduce a lover, change a baby? You could put a barn on that gorgeous property and it would look beautiful!
    ...See More
  • Caran79
    12 years ago

I apologize if I came off too sharp, myself.

But.. this is also a sore subject with me...and I
    also try my very best not to buy from China. A very
    hard and difficult thing if you are going to live
    here.

And, georgyman...just because furniture is "made" here,
    the supplies aren't always.

This is way more involved than what it sounds like.

Actually, I hear people complaining a lot...and when
    I see them get into their foreign-made cars, it is
    kind of hard to take them seriously.

Please forgive me... the truth hurts a lot sometimes.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

I see them get into their foreign-made cars, it is
    kind of hard to take them seriously.

Before you judge you need to know that a lot of 'foreign' cars are made right here in the USA. My last Nissan was made in Tennessee and the Mitsubishi Endeavor I drive now was made in Illinois.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foreign cars made in the US

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Toyota Corolla, Lexus RX-350, and the Rav4 are all made in my neighbouring city.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

While your complaining about foreign cars I'll ask you. What two cars are made entirely in the USA?

I'll give you a hint, neither one of them are made by the big 3 U.S. automakers. In fact, the last U.S. automobile engine plant was the Ford engine plant in Cleveland, and it was closed in the mid 80's.

According to consumer reports the only two cars that are made entirely in the U.S. are the VW- GEDI and the Toyota -Celica, both of which are made entirely to U.S. specs and not even offered for sale outside the U.S.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I try to buy as much as I can made in USA in furniture because of the quality of materials. Not going to get into cars, that is another story. Even food products will said distributed in America, but many times will not tell where they are made. I have noticed just recently some of the food products in Walmart will list made in India or Philippines, or ????. Not sure what brand, but will check out next time I shop.

• workoutlady
    12 years ago

I know what you mean about thinking you are buying US made only to find out it hasn't been made here at all. I don't mind buying stuff from other countries such as Canada and some European countries. I'm fine with that because I know that places like Canada also have high standards. I hate it though when I am forced to buy Chinese made products mainly because I know that they do not have good product laws.

I have a girlfriend that works at a factory and she said that this company has been outsourcing work to China. It then comes back here and they have to rework the whole piece because of the poor material used. It tends to get rusty by the time it gets back here. I can't imagine that this company can make money since every piece has to be reworked. That just seems so strange to me.

• summershine1
    12 years ago

I too try to buy American made products. As far as cars go,I won't buy foreign because the profits on those vehicles go overseas. I don't care if they are mostly made in the states or not. Those profits go overseas! There are too many American car companies that make a great product to purchase foreign in my opinion. I live in Michigan and I can tell you that the automotive industry is detrimental to the economy.

• Caran79
    12 years ago

Good for you sunshine...you get it.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

What does, "I live in Michigan and I can tell you that the automotive industry is detrimental to the economy" mean, summershine?

• summershine1
    12 years ago

Hi shermann,
    I think I misspoke. Sorry. I meant that a strong automotive industry is needed for the economy. Wow, I really screwed that one up! lol

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Funny, that's how the Pittsburgh area felt when all the steel jobs went overseas in the 80s - that steel as an industry was needed.

But the rest of the country wanted cheap, cheap, cheap... and didn't care about where the steel was coming from.

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

I've heard many workers say, "I don't care where we're owned ... as long as I got a job".

If headquarters here - that's (usually) where the research is done.

And the head office admin, stuff.

And the highly-paid execs/bosses live.

And where the profits shjow up.

When our major mining companies, along with many others, were sold to overseas owners ...

... all of that stuff (well, most of it) isn't done here, any more.

ole joyful

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Going through US Customs can really slow down entry of goods. But let's hope thay are on their toes and doing their job. Leather goods carry a potential hazard. Anthrax infection can be transmitted by improperly cured leathers. Maybe 20 years ago or more, there were cases of antrhrax infection from improperly tanned leather purses and coin holders made in Mexico.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

It's a global economy. As long as you want to buy furniture for the best price, you are likely not going to be buying a U.S.-made product. If you expect people to tell you whenever you are buying something that it's not made in the U.S., you'll be hearing that with 2/3 of the things you purchase. In fact, you should never go into a Walmart again if you're not comfortable buying foreign-made goods.

Finally, don't feel guilty for not cancelling the order; you should only feel guilty if you placed an order with the company and then cancelled after they ordered it for you because you later found out it wasn't U.S.-made. It doesn't sound like they deceived you, so it would be unfair to cancel now.

• tobygirl
    12 years ago

Brownthumbia: I hope when you get your new furniture that it does not have an undesirable smell.

I recently bought a pair of Clarks shoes. When I got them home, I realized they had a horrific toxic smell. I went online to see if anyone else has encountered this phenomena, and found out it is a problem with leather products made in China.

There was quite a discussion on this very topic at one of the QVC message boards. People were returning their designer purses and shoes for just this reason, and some were demanding that QVC pick up the tab for the return shipping.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well as far as the furniture is concerned, I must admit it is very nice looking....how long that lasts remains to be seen. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it but we'll see about that too. There is no odor to it that I can tell. I must say when it was taking a long time for the furniture to get here my son also stopped at the furniture store to see what was taking so long. When they told him it was made in China he was NOT a happy camper. Asked them where their signs were in the store that told the buyers where there furniture was made and they said they didn't have any signs like that. Now, maybe THAT'S what should be done. Just like clothing stating where it is being made, everything should be marked the same way, or signs put up in the stores. I appreciate all the responses I got. It is still very sad that we are no longer able to take care of our own without going across the pond for a sofa and chair I've learned my lesson for sure. Next time I ASK. They can watch me walk out the door with my money still in my purse.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Last night we were watching TV and an infomercial came on for a mesh back door screen that opens and closes automatically. Supposed to be great at keeping flies and other critters out. Hubby says "That looks great. Let's order it." I told him,no, don't ever order that As Seen On TV Stuff. It's all crap made in China. He agreed with me. My Mom was super-angry with me when we bought two Japanese cars, a Honda and a Toyota. She yelled at me "I've hated those people ever since Pearl Harbor." Yeah, but that was a long time ago. Now there are our allies and they make great cars...

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

There's another side of the coin.

How about if people in other countries boycotted US made goods, in return?

We would be in very poor shape.

• Chi
    12 years ago

As much as people complain about items being made overseas, I'd be willing to bet that the majority would also complain at paying twice as much for US-made products. If you had the same dining room table, one made in China selling for $300 and one from the US selling for $600, most people would buy the one from China.

That's how economies work. If people refused to buy goods produced in China, then manufacturing there would stop. But most people care more about value than country of origin so the demand remains.

It's difficult, but certainly possible to buy 100% American but I don't know anyone who has done that, even the people who complain the loudest. That being said, I don't think it's anything to feel guilty about though. I agree with Kudzu that it would have been worse to cancel after the company ordered it for you. It's not their fault that you didn't ask.

I hope you enjoy your furniture!

• nicole__
    12 years ago

I agree with buying American leather....but.....the price.

21 years ago I tried buying an American made leather sectional, the price tags were around $7K - $15K!!!!!! I purchased Italian for $3K.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

This discussion reminds me of a rather funny incident that happened in Massachusetts in the late 80's.

Back in the 80's when the major industrial bases first began seriously outsourcing to the far east the Govenor of Massachusetts implemented a serious ad campaign to encourage ppl to buy products made in Massachusetts.

They put up huge billboards and passed out bumper stickers to anyone who would put in on their vehicle, all of which had the campaign slogan...

"MAKE IT IN MASSACHUSETTS"

however if one examined the billboards and bumper stickers closely they would see the they were printed by a publishing company in Chicago,Ill.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Lazypup, that's just like the union workers here; many who have bumper stickers on their vehicles "out of a job yet? Buy foreign".
    We literally laugh out loud when we see these on a Volkswagon......none which are built in Canada!

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we can blame the unions for some of the problems of cost because they did get out of hand with some of their demands, but let's not forget the greediest ones sitting in their ivory towers that wouldn't think of taking a pay cut...not on your life would they even consider such a thing.... forgetting that the 'little' guys working on the floor were the ones that gave them their ritzy life styles in the first place. But then the brains decided they could go to another country, abandon the one that got them where they are, used the cheap labor and all and by gosh make even more pocket money!!! Genius!!! Pocketed that money but did they pass the savings on to us, the consumers? Yeah, right. Not that I've noticed. But it's always the little guy's fault. Let's at least be fair and put some of the blame where it belongs. And don't forget...Buy American...if you can find it.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Well said, brownthumbia. the Emperor indeed, has no clothes. Those in the ivory towers learned that they if could repeat their message (propaganda) over and over, they were able to get away with the obscene and shift blame to the victims.

• redcurls
    12 years ago

I can't think of ANYTHING that is made in the US anymore, although a FEW products are ASSEMBLED in the US from parts made elsewhere. Seems like I read that the only furniture made in the US anymore is Amish furniture. Not sure if that's true, but I did read it. I also read that most FOOD is not packaged in the US anymore either. It may have the corporate name of their OFFICE listed on the label, but only says "distributed by" or something. There is a way of telling where the product came from by the UPC codes.

Sad, indeed.

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Redcurls,I believe you are right about the Amish. They have too much pride to farm it out. I do know the ones here in Iowa make caskets and sell them to the public. My friend was buried in one and let me tell you, it was a beauty, inside and out. No, I don't think they would tarnish their names and reputations by letting ANYONE screw it up with inferior work.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

redcurls-
    If you Google "Made in the USA" you will find thousands and thousands of companies manufacturing products in the U.S, including many furniture manufacturers. It's also not true that most of our food is being packaged outside the U.S. Transportation is a major part of cost and it's more economical to produce and package many products, particularly those requiring refrigeration, here in the U.S. I can't tell you what percentage is from outside the U.S., but I took a look in my pantry and there were plenty of cans that said "Product of USA," or similar. Yes, I do have olive oil from Italy, and hearts of palm from Costa Rica, but the standard foods are from the U.S. Just because a product says "Distributed by..." does not mean that it's not also a product of the U.S.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Kudzu, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your statement that Product of USA means they are made in the US.

That phrase means nothing. It can simply mean that the packaging was done in the US.....and if it was, they can legally state Product of...

There was an in-depth news show on a Canadian station a few years ago that spoke about this very thing. Specifically all the products from China.

For years, Highliner frozen fish was made in Quebec. Always was. Just out of curiosity, I picked up a package and looked closely at it. On the front it said Product of Canada. In the fine print on the side or back, it said made in China.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Last summer I was in a Dollar store and saw frozen packaged boneless steaks in their freezer, $1 each. "Product of China". wow!

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Meat would be the last thing I eat from China, if I never ate another bite. Can't prove this of course, but I did hear they eat cats and dogs over there. Nope, I'll live without it.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

I can say the custom cabinet manufacturer I work for - the only thing that does not originate in the US is the slides, hinges and knobs. Those are mostly purchased from well respected companies in Germany and Italy - with US plants for manufacturing. The US just does not have the quality available.
    All of our standard solid wood and plywood are 100% US sourced and manufactured. For LEED projects, I can and have proven chain of custody. (occasionally we will get request for exotic, non-domestic species that we acknowledge. ie:bamboo)

As for the Amish, be careful not to put any one - or group on too high of a pedestal, you may be setting yourself up for dissapointment. I have seen mass production chairs stacked to the ceiling in a barn, and sold on the roadside one or two at a time...not saying they were made in another county, but certainly not made by that farmer and his sons. Just my 2 cents.

My favorite US furniture maker is Smith Brothers. Most all of my upholstered furniture is from them. (I cannot verify where the fabric comes from)

I would love to buy all USA made products. It is simply not possible, and I usually buy the best product I can for my money. Where technology is concerned (TV, computer...) it is not even a close race.
    But if you spend a little time, you can find many proud US manufacturers in a variety of goods.

Here is a link that might be useful: smith brothers

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

jasdip-
    I will agree that a can label that says "Product of USA" does not guarantee that all of its contents originated inside the U.S. (but often it does mean that). My overall point, though, is that this country annually processes tens of millions of cattle, chickens, and hogs, has a huge farming industry, and a huge processed foods industry. We not only produce for ourselves, but we sell to other countries, as well. Sure we import stuff, but the American food production and food processing industry is not in any danger of extinction, and the idea that our processed foods are imported is just not correct.

brownthumbia-
    I have eaten a lot of food in China, and I can say that what I had was at least as good quality as what I get here, and generally fresher. And, no, you don't get dog on your plate unless you specifically order it in the comparatively few restaurants where it's offered since it's not a standard part of the diet. Besides, can we really criticize what's eaten in China as long as we are eating Twinkies, fried pork rinds, and pink slime hamburgers here?

• brownthumbia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess anyone who wants to eat dog can do so. I just don't want it shipped over here and we're believing it is beef, pork or whatever. After all if they can send contaminated kids' toys over here, why would anything else bother them? And as far as the twinkies, I can't remember when I had the last one, and after all, they are a form of a cake. Pork rinds? never had one. Never will and whoever chose to call it 'slime' in hamburger really knew what they were doing, didn't they? Sure created an uproar. I still do not quite understand what it is.

• Chi
    12 years ago

I don't get why people think it's so disgusting to eat cats and dogs but it's okay to eat cows and pigs and lambs and rabbits. It's our culture that places the significance over which animals are food and which are pets, and different cultures have different classifications. I personally see no difference between someone who eats a steak and someone who eats dog.

I do understand not wanting mislabeled food products, but really, any sort of processed food always has a percentage of undesirable content - hair, bugs, fingernails, dirt, excrement - so it's pretty much impossible to eat only exactly what you want unless you grow and process it yourself.

People generally tend to adapt the "ignorance is bliss" mindset about where their food comes from. I can't tell you the number of people I've encountered who say "I feel bad for suffering animals and I'd totally be a vegetarian except (insert excuse here)" so when news breaks that there's actually something wrong or gross about the food supply, people freak out because their cozy little self-delusions are shattered. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just general observations in life.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

You are so right, chi. On another note, I'd love to use recycled materials in a remodel, but the fact is I'd have to be quite wealthy to make that work.

I wish laws concerning labeling were more stringent because some companies have become very clever about hiding food production of origin.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

Sjerin - maybe not as expensive as it once was. More and more products have quite a bit of recycled content to them.
    Search the US Green Building Council for members in your area.

• cynic
    12 years ago

I haven't looked for a long time but most furniture used to have a little tag on it saying where it was made along with other info. If that's the case, you shouldn't need signs. Look on the tags if they're still there. And this is not directed at anyone, but people really do need to start taking more personal responsibility. Why do stores have to put "wet floor" signs out when it's obvious a floor is wet? For the blind who can't see the wet floor? (Who couldn't see the signs anyway...) Why do we have to put warnings on coffee cups that coffee might be hot? And people think there's no cost to this? Ah, but I digress.

And not to insult, but the OP was wrong to yell at the person. Totally inappropriate IMO. "... YOU are letting the Chinese make my furniture???" No, Sorry but the fact is YOU let the Chinese make your furniture. I do commend you for not canceling the order but had you done your due diligence, you would have known where it was made. Apparently place of origin is important to you (as it is to me) and I agree with your basic thought on the subject. But I'm pragmatic and know that if you don't ask do your homework, you shouldn't be surprised if it's made somewhere other than down the street. We all should know the odds of something being made overseas. Don't blame the retailer, and *especially* an employee of a retailer who answers phones because people won't buy what you want to buy. That's out of line.

I was in the camp of "buy American long before it was fashionable. For that matter, I don't need to put a Chinese made flag sticker on my vehicle to prove my patriotism either. All this "buy American" talk is approaching the status of a peeve with me. Why are no TV sets made in the US anymore? Do I need to answer? People have chanted the mantra since before any of us were born and you know what? We'd still have TVs made in this country if people practiced what they preached. The same thing goes for the why don't they sell __________ anymore? If people bought it, they'd still sell it. No need to yell at the retailer - better for most of us to look in a mirror. It's become let the other guy buy American.

I'm reminded of the retail choice in a service shop: Quality
    Fast
    Cheap
    Pick any TWO
    Most (North) Americans choose the latter two.

I've wondered about a few things: Fiat owning part of Chrysler - is Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep an "American" vehicle anymore? Ford owning foreign companies - is that supporting foreign states? Is a company that is foreign-owned but assembles in the US good or bad for the Americans coming home from wars? Does the place of production trump the place of packing? Does the place of packing trump the place of production? Or does it need to be grown here, packed here and sold here? And a lot more questions, but I don't have the answers. Could be interesting discussions if people don't pop corks (foreign or domestic) over it!

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Truth is...if that furniture had been made in the US - you probably couldn't afford it. Especially if it was made in a union shop.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

brownthumbia-
    Just to reassure you...dog is an expensive item, so no one is going to sneak it in and try to pass it off as beef or pork.

• Lindsey_CA
    12 years ago

A few years ago we purchased some "Schoolhouse" chairs from Pottery Barn. Two arm chairs and six side chairs. The printed catalog and the web site both stated very clearly that the chairs are made in Italy. On the web site there was even a video of the man who makes most of them; with scenes of his woodshop, etc.

So, since I'm Italian, I thought it was really neat that we'd be getting some chairs that we like from a country that I love.

Imagine our surprise when the chairs were delivered, to see Made in Vietnam on the boxes. The web site and catalog were still saying all of the Schoolhouse chairs are made in Italy.

We've never even opened the boxes.

For all I know, furniture made in Vietman could be really high quality. But Pottery Barn committed a violation of California Civil Code Section 1770. We're still in conflict with Pottery Barn's legal office. But hubs is an attorney, so we can wait it out. We won't pay for the chairs until we get what we ordered -- chairs made in Italy.

And Pottery Barn no longer sells the Schoolhouse chairs.

As for products that are made in the USA:

Men's shoes -- Allen Edmonds. Made in Wisconsin for 90 years.

Men's suits -- Hart Schaffner Marx (since 1887, I think); as well as Hickey Freeman (not sure of their date of origin).

• emma
    9 years ago

Furniture is expensive, I don't order anything like that, made in China or not. I want to see it, touch it, take it home and see if it works for me and return it if it if necessary. I read about a TV show about things NOT made in this country. They got rid of everything in a home except for attached things like plumbing. Then they went hunting for American made, they could not replace all the furniture and showed how empty the house was.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Emma, you've bumped several threads lately that are years old. I understand that they tend to pop up on this new site, but all the more reason to pay attention to the dates of what you're commenting on, rather than resurrect old conversations long over.

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

Emma didn't bump this one, a spammer did, and the spam was removed before you saw the thread, Snidely.

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

When I can buy reading glasses for a dollar in the Dollar store (plus 13 cents harmonized federal and provincial sales tax) ...

... I figure there's got to be some slave or semi-slave labour involved in that manufacture and distribution system, somewhere.

But ... | do buy them.

Most of them don't last a long time ... but what should I expect?

Also ... with the Canadian Dollar now being "worth" - whatever that means - about 80 cents in U.S. funds, quite likely the glasses will cost more than a Dollar (of the local variety, that is) before long.

ole joyful ... who tries to see things as they are

• justlinda
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hummmmmm...."i will do whatever I please"...... ya, okaaaaaaay emma!!!

• sephia_wa
    9 years ago

justlinda - I notice you rarely have anything of substance to contribute except for snarky, rude comments. Why is that?

• emma
    9 years ago

Was that comment rude? I did not take it as rude.