SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

I am hoping to get some insight into blogs and image rights.

I started to work on a blog for my business as a companion to a newsletter and website. I use my own images, my vendors images or creative common images for my visuals in my newsletter and website. I did just discover that many shelter mags give permission to link to their site and I have requested permission to use their logo as a button on my site to their site. I'm waiting on an answer for that. (I swear, keeping up with the IT end of things is another full time job!)

I have noticed bloggers crediting Pinterest (and Houzz and other bloggers) as the image source. I'm thinking Wow!, I can use images from Elle Decor, Architectural Digest, any image that is posted on Pinterest!! So I sign right up. Then I think about it a minute. Why should Elle Decor, Architectural Digest or any magazine for that matter,

allow anybody to use their images?

So I shoot Pinterest an email asking if siting them as their source is enough and here is the response:

Do not credit Pinterest. If you would like to use the images, particularly in business emails/newsletters, click the images you find on Pinterest and find the original source. When you use images found on Pinterest, it is always best practice to credit the original source (ie: artists, photographers, bloggers) and link to their website as well. For business emails especially, ask permission to use the images from the original source and make it clear that you will give them credit. Many are happy to see their work shared as long as they are properly mentioned, but for business-uses, they may want clarification on how you will use the image.

Most sites have this fine print about posting images anyway (this one included).......

(i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to the rights in such ....

I have posted many images here without thinking twice - heck, I figured I wasn't trying to make any money on gw so why credit the source?

I know doing the right thing is in the fine print, but is that just for the other guy and not me?

That line just made me snort at myself and answered my own question, but I would love to hear what you all think.

Anybody have any insight or experience with this? Do you ask permission from the source? Or does the source really not mind since it's free advertising? Are blogs exempt from copy right infringement?

Comments (8)