SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerncanuck

Need to install ductwork finally, your help is appreciated.

southerncanuck
11 years ago

We downsized years ago and converted 3 season lakeside cottage to a 4 season dwelling. Had the opportunity to install whole house HVAC system then but didn't think it necessary as we didn't see this as a long term living option. Have decided this will be the place for as many years to come as possible.

Currently have:

Wood stove in main living area,
Natural gas fireplace at opposite end of 24'x 20' main living space.
Use 2 portable oil filled heaters (electric) 1 in large bath,1 in bedroom 600w setting 95% of time in winter.,
1 window AC master bedroom
1 portable AC unit main living space that services balance of main floor

Dilemma is that our insurance provider is telling me to get wood stove to code or remove it within 90 days then fire insurance is null and void after that date, my choice. Cost will be approximately $5000.00 and higher to upgrade to code

The current heating is adequate 95% of the time. When hurricane force winds blow off Lake Erie I need to keep that stove going at full capacity which is not great as I am getting closer to collect my Canada Pension. As well electrical auxiliary heaters are cranked to 1500w. Even then might need to wear a Toque.

I will need to get ductwork into walls and herein lies the problem. The municipality is telling me I need a minimum 4" duct work to supply the registers, exterior walls are a full 4" 2x4 which is fine but tight, all interior wall are dimensionally 1.75 " x 3.5". A 4" duct won't fit. Contractor tells me to bring the drywall out to accommodate the ducts across the entire wall(s) or create bumpouts where the lines will go!
When I ask why can't I use flexible ductwork that can be depressed which will maintain the same volume and carry the same cubic feet per minute I can't get any answers other than we don't make the rules. My HVAC guy says why not but can't sign off on that.
I have decided I can live without the wood burning and will not miss the inefficient and very loud AC units, and will finally have a much cooler upper level for guests which can be unbearable.

Heat loss calculations tell me I need about 80K BTU without the NG fireplace on.

Don't have much space for a full size furnace which will go in the upper level horizontal mount.

If I use the NG fireplace (30,000 Btu) Can I get away with a micro furnace as seen in southern applications? Had one in a closet in South Florida.

There aren't many smaller furnaces available up here. I'm only 2 hours from Buffalo but warranty issues are a huge hassle when taking products from US into Canada.

Hope I have given enough info here and after reading back sorry about the lengthy post. Any suggestions folks.

Thank you

Johnny D ( I know, what's a toque?)

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 17:36

Comments (26)