SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Stores that don't use pink slime

dedtired
12 years ago

I was horrified to learn that 70% of ground beef sold in grocery stores includes pink slime. There was a story on ABC World News tonight about it. The story is on their web site. It includes a list of stores that have never used pink slime. Unfortunately, mine is not on the list.

Here is the list:

ABC News emailed the top 10 grocery chains in America and seven responded:

1. Safeway

"We rely on the federal government to help guide us on food safety issues. USDA has been clear in its judgment that Lean Finely Textured Ground Beef is a safe source of nutrition. However, we are reviewing the matter at this time."

2. Ahold (Stop & Shop/Giant)

"Stores operated by the divisions of Ahold USA do carry ground beef made with Finely Textured Beef (FTB), although we are not purchasing any fresh ground beef that includes Finely Textured Beef produced using ammonium hydroxide. Finely Textured Beef is 100% lean beef and is absolutely safe for consumption. To make the product, beef companies use beef trimmings, which are the small cuts of beef that remain when larger cuts are trimmed down. These trimmings are USDA-inspected, wholesome cuts of beef. This process has been an industry standard for almost 20 years. Alternatives to the conventional ground beef supply, in the form of Certified Angus Beef and Nature�s Promise� ground beef products, are available to customers in stores across the divisions of Ahold USA. These products do not include the use of Finely Textured Beef. Customers are being encouraged to ask any meat associate should they have any questions or would like to be directed to meat that does not include Finely Textured Beef. Our labeling is in compliance with USDA regulations. Finely Textured Beef is USDA tested and approved ground beef and therefore does not require labeling."

3. Costco

Does not use pink slime.

"Anything that we sell at Costco we want to explain it�s origins, and I personally don�t know how to explain trim treated with ammonia in our ground beef," Craig Wilson, vice president of quality assurance for Costco, told ABC News. "I just don�t know how to explain that. I�m not that smart."

4. Publix

"We have never allowed the use of LFTB (pink slime) in our meat. It�s 100 percent ground beef with no LFTB."

5. H-E-B

"All our ground beef sold at H-E-B is 100% pure with no additives."

6. Whole Foods

Does not use pink slime.

7. Kroger

"Kroger carries ground beef both with and without lean finely textured beef. For customers who choose to avoid it, we offer a variety of options including Kroger�s Private Selection Angus Ground Chuck, Round and Sirloin; Private Selection All Natural Ground Beef and Private Selection Organic Ground Beef solid in 1 lb. packages, labeled 80% lean and above; Laura�s Lean Ground Beef; and ground beef prepared in store. All ground beef you find at your local Kroger is USDA-regulated, inspected and approved for food safety and quality. That includes beef products made with lean finely textured beef."

Tops Markets also told ABC News it does not use "pink slime."

A viewer, Miles Herbert, wanted to know, "Is there any evidence that organic meat contains this pink slime?"

It turns out there isn�t. If your meat is stamped USDA Organic, it�s pure meat with no filler.

Otherwise, you can�t know from the packaging because pink slime does not have to appear on the label. And the USDA is giving no indication it will force meat packers to lift the veil of secrecy any time soon.

SHOWS: World News

Comments (18)