SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diykristi

Removing 2 layers of hardwood flooring with asbestos tile between

diykristi
14 years ago

I'm working on a "can of worms" kitchen remodel and need some advice. I'm having a dishwasher installed and additional cabinets added so planned to tear out the ceramic tile floor that was installed approximately 10 years ago directly on top of the hardwood floor. Compared to adjoining rooms with hardwoods, the floor was still higher than just the thickness of the tile and Liquid Nails that was used as adhesive so guessed there might be another layer of hardwood underneath. Now that the tile has been torn up, the hardwoods deemed unsalvageable, and a doorway piece of the wood floor pulled up, I can see that the guess was accurate, but unfortunately can also see the edges of a layer of tile or linoleum between the original hardwoods and the 2nd layer.

The house was built in 1942 and I have no idea when the tile and 2nd layer of hardwood was added, but it looks like it has been there quite awhile and was most likely during the years asbestos flooring was used.

To allow clearance for the dishwasher and add the new cabinets on the same level of flooring as the existing, need to get rid of the extra height/layers (might still have to raise cabinets - funky war-era dimensions), but hadn't accounted for a potential asbestos situation.

I don't know what condition the tile or linoleum is in yet, but do you think it is safe to start removing the top layer of hardwood, knowing there would be nail holes thru the next layer? Thinking it would be better to just remove the original hardwood also along with the tile rather try to pry them apart to salvage the floor (who knows what condition it was in before the tile anyway). Does that make sense? Despite the large number of posts to the "asbestos tile/worried sick" question, I haven't seen this scenario covered so any input would be appreciated. Anything special to keep in mind regarding clean up if it is removed down to the subfloor? What about dust potentially falling thru to the basement?

I know health has no price, but can't help but weigh the pros/cons of professional removal & potential disclosure to future buyers vs. following all recommendations for removing myself and just assuming it is asbestos without testing.... any ideas what a 12'X6' room would cost in the Midwest for professionals to remove it?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)