SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djyas

Help with New Trane XL15i Match...

djyas
12 years ago

To start, thank you all for sharing your knowledge, I've learned so much from this forum...

I'm about ready to have installed a new 4-ton Trane XL15i system (a 4twx5048 heat pump, bayevac10lg heat strip, and tam7a0c42 air handler) for use in Atlanta, GA. I feel great about the installer, system sizing, and modifications to my ductwork, but would really like to know:

1. Instead of the 4twx5048 should I specify the apparently newer revision of the same unit the 4twx5049e?

2. Instead of the Hyperion 7 tam7a0c42 should I specify a Hyperion 8 tam8xxxxx? I don't know if the XL15i can make use of the Hyperion 8/tam8 communication. If it can't, should I at least specify the tam7a0c48 (instead of the tam7a0c42 as it might be a better AHRI match)?

3. Apart from Trane's expensive XL950/ComfortLinkII thermostat, would the best thermostat match for the XL15i heat pump /Hyperion 7/8 air handler be the HW VisionPro IAQ? I am thinking that the 803 won't communicate with the XL15i and the HW VisionPro IAQ can adjust the Hyperion (tam7/tam8) air handler's variable speed blower instead of just over-cooling.

Thank you, Djyas

P.S. It looks like the bayevac10lg is a common heat strip for Atlanta, GA... Does anyone see any drawbacks to its use in this system?

Comments (6)