SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_me

I suppose...

lisa-in-me
13 years ago

I should introduce myself. I've posted here very sporadically over the years but don't know any of you very well.

Anyway, I am Lisa and I do live in Maine. I'm the mom of two grown kids and one wonderful, adorable, sweet grandson named Deklan. My husband and I have been married 30 years. We live in a very small town in Maine, about an hour and a half from Bar Harbor or Belfast, depending on which way you want to drive.

I've been interested in cooking and baking ever since I can remember. I love reading cookbooks and cooking magazines to get ideas and of course I am motivated by all the meals I see posted here, as well.

I have two cats, Yoko and Francesca. Francesca is an older cat that I got from a rescue place here. She's the sweetest thing, long grey hair and golden eyes. Yoko is a tortoiseshell Persian and she's about a year and a half. We also have a yellow lab that's nine years old.

Besides cookbooks, I love to read just about anything. It's a huge passion of mine. My husband and I have a garden and a raspberry patch. I planted a big asparagus bed last year so I'm kind of excited to see how many asparagus we get this spring. Right now it's covered with snow so it'll be a little while.

I just started collecting Fiestaware in plum, turquoise and sunflower and like to set a pretty table.

Any questions, ask away!

Comments (21)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Vintage Fiesta or new?

Standard questions of course are how well do you like chocolate....and do you put sugar in your cornbread.
    But welcome any way....even if you answer the questions wrong...(wink).
    Linda C

• lisa-in-me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both vintage and new! lol

Chocolate is a friend of mine and I do NOT put sugar in my cornbread. I grew up in Tennessee and my grandmother taught me that cornbread is not sweet. I still love cornbread. Pinto beans and cornbread might be my number one comfort food meal. Cornbread slathered with butter, of course and a tall glass of sweet tea.

• Related Discussions

So...am I supposed to divide Heuchera?

Q

Comments (12)
    Some cultivars are more vigorous than others, so it depends. A year ago in early spring when (daffs in mid-season & no tulips yet) I received thick woody crowns of Palace Purple with barely any roots (just stems emerging with tiny leaves) wrapped in burlap from a plant swap, so I cut them up with pruners with each having a bit of the crown & a shoot forming or present & planted in 4" pots with a blend of soil (leaf mold + potting soil). Some I just planted out directly by making a hole in the soft soil with my finger, put it in, then formed soil around it, & kept moist in part sun/shade. After about a month I had the beds & large planters ready, so transplanted. I lost a few of them, but most showed white roots. By the end of summer the largest ones in the large planters were 12-15" mounds. Again this past spring some were heaved up a bit with woody crowns still, so I cut them up to replant more divisions a bit deeper. I've left the largest Palace Purples in the planters alone because they're looking great. Even now currently in bloom. I did the same thing with another type of heuchera with a woody crown 12" long with shoots every which way. The tiniest one didn't survive, but the others did even blooming this summer. I have Caramel in a hanging planter with purple ajuga & some pansies. Last spring I replanted part of the pot adding some annuals, but didn't do anything this spring, so will divide next. It's slow to wake up in spring, so I will do it a bit later than Palace Purple.
    ...See More

Am I suppose to cut my lavender

Q

Comments (6)
    You should see new growth on the old stems and often very low on the really woody growth. I have grown it for years and don't ever recall seeing new growth from the ground. It doesn't look good but I would hang in and give it quite a bit more time. I never trim in fall, in spring I cut and crumble off any top growth that is grey.
    ...See More

Am I supposed to deal this?

Q

Comments (1)
    seal this-- typo
    ...See More

Am I supposed to plant these, or use them as a Tiki torches?

Q

Comments (3)
    Our Lowes has those too. I bought a Blue Girl who was heavily coated in wax. She has grown alot since I bought her..they just kinda grow and the old wax cracks off. I dont know if the wax is used to keep insects off. I always thought it was to protect the canes and keep them moist. Maybe they use it for both reasons now.
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

Welcome Lisa!

Glad you introduced yourself. I'll share a little bit about me so you can get to know me a bit better. Hopefully others will too.

My DH and I are retired. We have two grown kids. No grand babies yet and I'm not holding out any hope for any anytime soon!

Our passion is our cottage which is about 3 hours north of Toronto. We just took a huge step in our life and sold our house with the intention of moving into a condo in Toronto, pretty much right downtown! YIKES!!!

My husband and I take several road trips a year and last fall we traveled along a portion Maine along your spectacular Atlantic coast. I fell in love with your beautiful state and hope to return soon.

Again welcome,

Sharon

• barbarainme
    13 years ago

well guess I should jump in here also...my name is Barbara and I live in Maine also..have been a lurker for such a long time..thanks for sharing all that you do ...from planked salmon to Annie's salsa..enjoy and admire so very much your love of food, photos and each other...yes to the chocolate..and yes AND no to the cornbread....BarbaraV

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa, I'm waving to you from a small town in northern Michigan ~ ~ ~ the water is always warm here, so just jump in whenever you can. I have a chocolate lab that will be 9 soon. Labs are wonderful pals.

This is a great forum with many good cooks. I see LindaC already welcomed you, don't tell her I said this, but she is a real treasure chest of cooking knowledge.
    There are many here who enjoy eating fresh from their garden or from the local farm stand. So it sounds like you'll fit in very well. Welcome!!!!!

Nancy

• lisa-in-me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the welcoming, ladies!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Welcome, Lisa! I'm Teresa in North Carolina waving at ya!

I think you might have originally been from the South and you were relocated in a witness protection program. At least, you are Southern in your heart if you love pintos, cornbread and sweet iced tea!

These days I'm doing restricted carbs and not cooking like I love to do, but that's o.k. The farmers' market where I bake breads to sell will be open soon enough, so I'm trying to get as much quilting in before then as possible.

I hope you will feel very at home here. Pull up a comfy chair, your beverage of choice and a cookbook and you will fit right in.

Teresa

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Lisa, welcome to the cooking forum. I love Maine, I've been there twice for week long vacations, and it very much reminds me of the Upper Peninsula except you have whales and puffins, something we do not. Also lobster, yum.

Barbara, welcome to you too, I'm glad you stopped lurking and joined the fun. And I'm glad you like the salsa!

I was married for 30 years, got divorced and married Elery not quite 3 years ago. Everyone here kind of went along as we dated, I got proposed to, we married. I have two beautiful daughters and two bright and beautiful grandkids, The Princess and Bruvver. My youngest daughter, Ashley, is getting married May 21 and I'm doing all the cooking and baking the wedding cake.

I bought a piece of the farm I grew up on and Elery and I intend to move out there and build a house. If the housing market hadn't taken such a hit we'd have already sold both of our respective homes and built, but....

In the meantime I have my horses out there, grow grass fed beef, garden and can, and work full time.

Elery and I live three hours from each other and until we both retire, I guess that'll be the way it stays, I tell him that if we don't have to live together we can stay married forever. (grin)

I also love to read, and have piles of books, magazines and cookbooks lying around.

So, jump on in, any time. Oh, and I was born and raised in Michigan and I love pinto beans and cornbread. As for sugar or not, I eat it both ways, I just like it nearly any old way.

Annie

• cookie8
    13 years ago

Welcome. You have a lot of the same interests as me - cooking, baking, cookbooks, gardening, two cats (well, one now) and a dog. I'm trying at my raspberry patch but with not much luck. Between the squirrels, husband and kids, in four years I probably had about 10 raspberries for me. Hope it's been better for you!

• lisa-in-me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Teresa and Annie!

Teresa, my father was in the Air Force so I've lived in quite a few different places, including NC, Alaska and the Azores. I've learned to love all kinds of different food. Except cilantro.....

Annie, I've been reading about your daughters upcoming wedding and am seriously impressed with the menu. Amazing! You must have the energy of 5 women! How do you do it?

• jude31
    13 years ago

Hey Lisa and Barb, a big welcome! I'm jude, from East Tennessee. My DH and I have been married 50 (almost 51) years, have 4 grown children, 4 grown grandchildren and 3 great grands.

DH gardens and I do the herbs and wildflowers. I love to read cookbooks, cooking magazines, drool over the food photos on the forum, cook every once in a while, and do some canning in the summer and early fall.

All of us don't have farms, raise grass fed beef etc. but we manage. Sorry Annie, I couldn't resist.-)

I think you'll find some friendly, helpful folks, excellent cooks and have the opportunity to hone your cooking skills just from tapping LindaC's, and others, vast store of knowledge.:-)

Do jump in, as mentioned, the water's warm.

jude

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yeah, but Jude, your husband lives with you, so you have to keep him occupied. With Elery gone much of the time, I have time left for cows. LOL Since Ashley is getting married on your anniversary, I think, I hope that's an omen that they actually get to live together! As for that beef, I was out in the snow and wind today, fixing fence and thinking that I was just plain freaking nuts....

Lisa, I tend to be kind of a high energy individual, and am easily bored, so I like to keep busy.

Annie

• metaxa
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm one of the resident Cabana Boys they keep around for serving afternoon pina coladas by the pool.

I'm a 12 year old according to my wife (although she doesn't say it exactly that way...its more like "What are you #@!$%% 12 YEARS OLD!!!" but I hear only the love) and I enjoy pontificating on smoked meat of any sort.

You can learn a lot of stuff here.

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa and Barbara, welcome to you both.

My husband and I are originally from Ontario, but have lived in a number of places in including twice in the US. We finally settled on Canada's west coast on Vancouver Island. Our son Matt, lives just 45 minutes down Island so we get to see him often.

I think that you will find that participating here is so much more fun than lurking.

Welcome again.

Ann

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Welcome, Lisa and Barbara. I get to live with my dh in a suburb of Dallas, TX. We share our house with 8 rescued cats and our son, dil and grandson. We also have a place we hope to retire to up in NE Oklahoma. We can't wait till we can be there full time, but for now, it's an occasional weekend place.

I love to bake and cook and garden, and love almost all kinds of food. I am one of the few vegetarians on this forum. I'm with whoever said it above, I'll eat cornbread almost any way it's served.

I've learned a lot here on this forum - much more than I've shared, since so many here are much more knowledgeable than me.

(By the way, I think Annie really is 5 women - how else can she do all she does!)

Sally

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Welcome Lisa and Barb! I've been around here since about 2004. I'm a mostly vegetarian who occasionally posts about meat, but I eat and cook primarily vegetarian, that's my specialty. I'm a hash cook, can't bear to cook anything that has to be "shaped" or has lots of steps. I cook because I like to eat good food, not because I like cooking. I'm a biology teacher, currently marginally employed and always job hunting it seems. I live in SE Pennsylvania, but my family is from Michigan and I go back frequently. In my heart of hearts I'm a north country girl. Like Annie, I like my cornbread any old way, I just like it. I eat beans almost every day. But I don't like sweet tea. I like chocolate, but I'm not a chocoholic, thankfully. I can usually resist it. I try to eat healthy, I'm not a huge fan of rich foods. Lately I have some diet challenges due to health, I'm having to lay off acid foods.
    I would love to go to Maine, since I love the northwoods and water! It is on my bucket list.
    I'm single but I am currently in a relationship with a wonderful man. No pets, I'm gone from home too much, sadly. No kids either, sadly.
    I love to garden, I am a plant weenie, and I have a tiny raspberry patch. I sure wish I had room for more! I also wish I had room for asparagus. I'm hoping to convince my BF to plant both in his yard, he has the room! My yard is postage stamp size behind my row house.

• obxgina
    13 years ago

Welcome Lisa and Barb, it's so nice to meet new lurkers! I've been to Maine once, the Moosehead Lake area. We went in August and it was 30 degrees, my DH vowed never to travel North of the Mason/Dixon line again! lol!!! Beautiful state though!

I also have 3 grown children, we are now empty nesters, but have a 170 lb. American Mastiff puppy named Mosby and Mr. Peppers who is our outdoor/indoor miracle cat!

I grew up in Pa., we moved to the Outer Banks of NC in 98, lived there for 8 yrs, got tired of dealing with hurricanes and tourist and decided to move to the Inner Banks!

My passions are cooking, baking, running, gardening and everything in between!

This is a great group, you'll learn alot and have a lot of laughs!!!!
    Welcome,
    Gina

P.S. Never had pinto beans, but like my cornbread sweet and my ice tea unsweet!

• twoscoops
    13 years ago

Hi All!
    I am so happy to have found this forum! I've been a follower of the kitchen forum for quite awhile and never explored much else on the site.
    I'm also a Mainer, raised my daughters in Orono and then moved to the coast when my marriage ended and my youngest graduated high school. I bought a little seasonal take-out restaurant and have operated that for 8 seasons. I had no background in the food business except loving to eat and cook and I just took a leap of faith. Both of my daughters, as well as numerous nieces and nephews, have worked summers with me through their college years~talk about a fun bonding experience~ and best of all, I'm engaged to the man I bought the business from.
    Foodwise, I love making bread and baked goods. I'm not really into haute cusine, I tend to cook a lot of Italian influenced meals since my mom is Italian. I love simple peasant foods, soups and pasta, and made gnoochi for the first time this Febuary. It's really nice to find this forum and I know I'll learn a lot from everyone! Thanks to Lisa for starting this tread, I'm glad Barb chimed in too~yay for the state of Maine!
    Jeannie

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Jeannie, welcome to the Cooking forum, you'll learn all kinds of things here. some good and other things just....interesting. LOL.

Now I have a lot more people to look up when Elery and I get back to Maine!

Annie

• lakemayor
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa, Barbara, and Jennie
    Welcome to this wonderful forum where I have learned so much over the past year and a half.

My DH and I are recently retired and spend 3 months in Florida where I am right now. We will be leaving Saturday for our real home which is in Southern Lower Michigan.

We took a roadtrip out East this fall and spent 3 days in Bar Harbor. Maine is absolutely beautiful. During our trip we met two CFer's. Jimster in Cape Code and Hawk in Pennsylvania. It was a great trip. While I've been in Florida I met Mustangs another forum member. She is a wonderful lady!

I love to garden, cook, read and exercise. (I know, that's crazy isn't it.)

We have three adult children and 5 grandchildren. Our two sons just married this past summer. It was a busy time. Now, we will be waiting for more grandbabies.

I don't like sweet tea either. I guess I couldn't manage too long in the South.

Karen

• lisa-in-me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello to everyone!

It's good to get to know you all a bit better; thanks for sharing more about your lives.

I tried to reply to this thread yesterday but kept getting a message saying message rejected. Boo to that!

Gina, I LOVE Moosehead lake. We're about an hour away and make sure to visit the area at least 3 times a summer. They have a seaplane fly in around September 5th every year that's a lot of fun to go to. I'd move there in a minute but DH says no. Darn it.