SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Extreme Excitement-Induction Cook Top

mustangs81
11 years ago

I wanted to share with you my excitement because no one at the ball field, in my neighborhood, or the vet center cares about my appliances nor do most know what induction is (but I love my friends for their interests).

I bought an Induction Cook Top today. It isn't the brand and doesn't have the features I wanted but the price fit my budget. The appliance salesman I have been dealing with for years notified me that he an open box unit in one of his stores--was I interested for $999. I said I don't to 99 anything but would consider $900. He called back to say he got it approved for $900!!! and I owed him cookies. I made the cookies and went right to the store.

I will be studying in preparation for Wednesday's installation.

In my excitement, I also have unhappiness--being a pot junkie (not that kind of pot) I have to get rid of numerous pots and pans including some of my favorites. :>(
QUESTION: Has anyone used an Induction Interface Disk?

Comments (49)

• compumom
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats CATHY! I'm a dummy at induction, but wanted to cheer you on! Le Creuset had an induction burner in simmering in their store. This could be a whole new opportunity for pots & pans. I assume the oven is still broken?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I went through the same experience last year when the cooktop I wanted came up at a price we could afford. I *love* it to death. Really, I would marry it if it could consent.

Getting to your question, yes, I have used an interface disk. Don't bother. Yes, it allows you to keep using your non-magnetic pots, but it defeats all the pluses of induction.

Induction is (1) fast and (2) responsive. The disk negates this completely, turning the hob into a very inefficient radiant element. Further, the disk can heat up and damage the cooktop surface. Some manufacturers warn you that you can void the warranty by using a disk.

I used a disk with one of my favorite aluminium pots last fall when I had hundreds of pounds of apples to turn into preserves, or can. The disk+pot was just so slow, and adjustment to different settings took so long that I took out smaller induction-ready pots and did batch after batch. I am slowly downsizing my huge collection of anodized aluminium by giving away pots to friends.

Cook's Illustrated did a test and concluded that the Max Burton disk was the best, and that it would allow you to use non-magnetic pots. So, yes you can use it. But be prepared for slow, cumbersome cooking.

Cheryl

This post was edited by jadeite on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 16:54

• Related Discussions

Help in selecting an induction cook top

Q

Comments (17)
    As I explained in my first post, I do need large burners...Certainly more than 1 (4 or more), which is why I was considering alternatives to the 36" units that I've researched over several months. Again, johntex, sorry for taking up room on your thread. I was just hoping to see if avid induction people would go to these lengths to have it or if I was totally crazy. As for your original question, I can only offer what I found in my research and the thoughts I went through in considering my options. Everyone, regardles of brand, seems to love their induction. This is the first I'd heard the specifics of the Thermador recall or any problems from it. The Electrolux/Kenmores are definitely the leader in pricing with Viking being the most expensive. I was afraid of the Electrolux models being a pain to clean around because of the way they sit up from the countertop, but owners assured me it was not a problem. The glass surfaces would be pretty equal in cleaning, but the ones with speckles, rather than glossy black, should hide fingerprints and waterspots better. I know this from having ceramic cooktop before. I never considered a hybrid model, because I figured I'd love the induction and avoid using the radiant burners, and I wanted to use every inch of it with no reservation/hesitation. I didn't want to resent having to use the other burners when forced to...Also, I'd think that part would be a pain to maintain, since food spills would cook on, which they won't on the induction side. I came to the conclusion that the way to choose a cooktop was by price and by configuration...How many and what size hobs will you need? Do you want a huge one in the center, or more evenly sized ones with larger burners in different places? Electrolux has their largest burners right next to each other. That might be a problem for me if I wanted to have large pans on both at once...and I thought it might be hard to reach the small burner behind the larger pots. I noticed yesterday that Kupperbusch offers a bridge burner, which might be desirable. As was already mentioned, Monogram has induction coming out soon. By the end of the year Miele should have theirs in the US (already in Canada). I talked with a rep aabout them and they sound exceptional for the construction quality and how the hobs are independent for power use and easier repair. I've also read rumors about Wolf and Bosch coming out with induction. Bosch is related to Thermador and Gaggenau, so I'm surprised they're lagging behind. Best wishes on your decision.
    ...See More

Induction cook top safety.

Q

Comments (8)
    Fori, I very rarely have boil overs, but they're sure a lot easier to clean up on my induction cooktop. I do the same as you -- just quickly lift up the pot, wipe up the stuff on the cooktop, and wipe off the bottom of the pot -- and then back to cooking. Usually I can get it all done before the burner automatically turns itself off. It's so much easier than dealing with my old electric coils or my old gas burner grates. I also love the easy after-dinner cleanup -- just a spray of Windex on a paper towel and a quick swipe. If I'm particularly ambitious and feeling the need to impress someone, I may polish the top with a microfiber cloth. But usually I don't' bother.
    ...See More

First attempt at induction cooking & pressure cooking

Q

Comments (20)
    Bobby, I'm sure you will have a great time with Cathy on Tuesday. Kevin and I are thinking about a trip to Florida ourselves because he has a friend in Tampa he went to graduate school with, and she has been begging us to visit and stay at her house. I think it would be a nice trip, but as Gina noted before, there aren't good flights between L.A. and Tampa, and so we thought we might fly to Orlando, rent a car there, and then drive to Tampa. I have no idea when we will get around to this. I have to say that I am extremely careful about pot placement on my induction cooker, and so it is always centered in place. The PC pots are exactly the right size for this burner, and so I have not been concerned about the control buttons, but I will keep that in mind. I do love the timer, and yesterday I cooked a bunch of potatoes with some onion plus one cup of water. I closed the lid, set the cooker to #10 (highest heat) for two minutes and then turned it down to 250 degrees on the temp scale and set the timer for 10 minutes and let it go. I was waiting for sausages in the smoker, and when they were done, so were the potatoes, and oddly enough, there was no water left. I think it escaped as steam when I opened the steam valve. That was a new experience for me! So we only had potatoes and sausage last night, but we also smoked a large boneless turkey breast that I will use for sandwiches, etc. We also assembled our Big Green Egg (much more of an ordeal than we expected, partly due to insufficient/faulty instructions) and put up lights in the pergola. I can see that we will be spending a lot more time in the pergola, now that it is properly lit. I'm looking forward to cooking more things in the PC! I really like the conbination with the induction cooker, since it will turn off from the timer, and so I can sort of forget about it once it is set. Lars
    ...See More

Induction cook top

Q

Comments (22)
    Beverly, I had an induction range installed 3 months ago. I purchased Emeril's cookware that is made by All Clad. Hummm....don't like it. We paid $119 (huge discount for a product that was being replaced.) Cooked stuff doesn't want to get off the inside surface of the pans. So, about a month ago, I purchased a Berndes skillet from Tuesday Morning. Much higher quality. If you go to Amazon you will find that sets of Berndes for a reasonable price. We just got back from a week in St. Louis. Now I need to go to one or both of our restaurant supply stores in town to get an 8" nonstick egg skillet. This will be our only nonstick. I absolutely love our induction range (although I still my miss my extensive Cuisinart collection. I visited them in St. Louis. They looked fine.) My husband also loves that range! Induction is fast, controllable, and clean. I live on an island in Fl, and we can only have propane, not natural gas. Induction is light-years ahead of gas and I'm glad we purchased it! I'm using far fewer numbers of pans and I'm still searching for a couple. But as the number of induction ranges/cooktops grows, the availability of cookware will increase also. I hope.
    ...See More
  • mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellen, yes the stove is still broken. I'm waiting for parts after making the decision to keep and rebuild my triple oven; in the mean time I can't use the microwave, WD, or oven. Thanks for cheering me on. Thankfully the LC works on induction.

Cheryl, I did see the CI test and had hopes but knowing some of the tests that CI conducts I thought it best to ask users. I REALLY thank you for your feedback.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Cathy! You will love cooking on induction. Do your prep ahead of time...it cooks so quickly there's hardly time once you start cooking. I love our Electrolux range. Sorry about the oven though :(.

/tricia

• lsr2002
    11 years ago

Congratulations Cathy! I'm sure you will love your new cooktop. We've had ours for three years now and I had the same experience using an interface disk - it's not worth it! I saved my copper pots that were an appropriate shape for using in the oven. I rehomed about twenty other copper pots and a dozen or so nice SS pots and pans that were not magnetic. Our son and DIL got what they wanted and her Mom got the rest. I had a huge collection of copper pots because I had my own and then inherited my mothers.

Keep us posted after the instillation.

Lee

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Lee, that's a good point, that non-magnetic pots will work in the oven. I have a braisier that I have hung on to. I will keep it and use it for oven braising.

Cheryl

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

The disks don't work but the speed and responsiveness with your pots that are induction capable will be amazing. We imported a de Dietrich cooktop from New Zealand before they were widely available here and I love it.

Did you know you can melt chocolate without a double boiler? Lol

Enjoy your new cooktop.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Cathy - I am exited for you. I bought a $99induction on amazon 2 years ago to use during our remodel(which we are wrapping up just now after almost 2.5yrs. I must say this has just changed how I cook. I love it.. I used to be in the "real cooks need flames" camp and now have converted and am firmly in induction camp.

Or new induction capable cookware, consider IKEA, Walmart tramotina triply. Take a magnet with you to check what works. Most of your cast iron and good quality pots will work.

I love that I can lift a pot with boiling water with bare hands as the rim is still cool enough.

Lalitha

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate your encouragement and tips.

I have had analysis paralysis going back to when the Dietrich cook top from New Zealand was the way to go. I guess I am glad I waited because of the drop in price although I have missed out on several years of induction fun.

Melting chocolate-This is just one of several double boilers that will be "rehoused".

Here is a link that might be useful: All-in-one DB

• bookmom41
    11 years ago

I mostly lurk but am here to tell you (along with all the others) that you will love induction. As far as using a disk for "incompatible" pots and pans, I have a Lodge cast iron comal that I put under our beloved Whirley-Pop popcorn popper. It lets us use the Whirley-Pop but it definitely takes longer and really scorches the paper towel I put under the cast iron. For anything used more frequently, using a disk would defeat the point of having induction in the first place.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Congratulations on what's sure to become one of your favorite things in the kitchen! And double props on getting a good price on it, too!

For cookware, I have to say I wouldn't bother with a disk. The performance will suffer, and it'll just be frustrating. If you need it in a pinch, sure, but I wouldn't try to cook like that on a regular basis. If you are a cookware junkie, I'd look at this as an opportunity to find induction compatible replacements for your old favorites. :-)

Have fun, and please do report back on what you like/don't like with your particular model. Those who are shopping really find that kind of feedback helpful.

Cj

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Wow Cathy! That is exciting! A new induction stove top and soon to be mini eggplants growing in your yard.

I don't think life could get anymore exciting than that! Thank you for sharing and brightening my day.

Teresa who is waiting for 10" of snow coming my way!

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Cathy, Congratulations. You will love your new toy, but maybe not right away. There is so much excitement that the reality of the learning curve is forgotten. There is a curve. Just be kind to yourself.

Very few of your normal friends will understand. They will think you just got a new electric stove and won't get your excitement.

Also, you really don't have to spend a lot of money of cookware. Take a look at the demeyere website and see that all clad pots are not required for soups, braises, stews, and the like. A clad disc bottom works perfectly fine on induction. And demeyere sells pots.

There are a gazillion threads about induction cookware but then you've probably memorized them. Unfortunately, the clad Tramontina offered by walmart.com today are not the same pots offered a year ago. They have a line called 'gourmet' which is replacing the stellar, CI lauded, all clad ones. Additionally, thety have a line which is all clad but it's nto the same as the old line. They have some pieces from the old great line, but not all. In Jan or Feb., I ordered the 12" skillet from the old line but they sent me the new one and I returned it. Some walmart reviewers have posted on the 'discovery' and that confirms what happened to me. I have one piece of the old line.

I do love my several pieces of Infinite Circulon. And I love my relatively cheap stuff from Macys, TJ Marshalls, etc. I sure enjoyed the score.

Cleaning with non-ammonia Sparkle is great. Oh yeah, so is cooking. Easy.

• artsyshell
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your new cooktop! I have a single portable induction burner and love it. It has been a challenge finding the proper cookware for it though! Cast iron is not a problem, and at work we carry strauss brand frying pans which work well with induction. Now I just carry a magnet in my purse for when I'm out,so I can test for myself, if the pans/pots work with induction. I'm sure you will love your new cook top, and I look forward to hearing your glowing reviews :)

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!!

I had the HG watch some youtube videos to get a sense of what induction is. I especially intrigued him with a dish towel under a frying pan frying bacon. With a furrowed brow he got confused at what was going on.

Certainly there will be a learning curve but that's what we have CF friends for.

I have enough pots and pans that are compatible I'm just heartbroken that I will have to lose some of my favorites. But, I do have a magnet in my purse just in case I come across something that I can't pass up.

Thanks all.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Cathy, have fun.

Elery and I were at a Home and Garden show on Saturday, checking out everything from cooktops to the Big Green Egg and knockoffs thereof.

All I know at this point is that I want TWO ovens, LOL.

I know Nancy/wizardnm has induction, maybe she'll weigh in here.

Annie

• loves2cook4six
    11 years ago

Funny story

My mother wanted an induction cooktop after using ours and when they had to redo their kitchen after the flood she bought an induction cooktop. she replaced most of her pots and pans with induction capable ones. After having it installed she complained a lot that it wasn't very fast and that the cooktop got so hot it turned red.

I told her she didn't have an induction cooktop. Nope, she insisted she'd bought one and that's what she had.

Fast forward 6 months or so and we went down to visit them. We arrived late at night and the next morning she treated the kids to pancakes that she made in her trusty old aluminum pan that she hadn't gotten rid of "because it works on my induction, can you believe it?"

You guessed it The installer had installed the wrong cooktop and it was radiant heat not induction. It took quite a few phone calls but she did get it sorted out in the end.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I know what you mean, I've been down 1 oven and 1 microwave for 3 weeks. Makes me wonder how my mother cooked for a family of 7 with one oven.

L2C46, It's a good thing you were heads up. I asked the appliance salesman who arranged for the installation if the installer was well versed on induction. I learned that lesson with my triple oven, everyone is blaming the installer for not know what components were required.

• User
    11 years ago

Congratulations Cathy. It is always exciting to get a new appliance.

~Ann

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

I am sure your induction into the new world of induction cooking will be very exciting.

I agree. Forget about the Interface Disk. Do it right.

There was an induction stove which worked with all metals. One day, they will be selling induction cook tops that will work with any metal cookware. Technically it can be done. At the moment it is expensive to make them. You may want to store away all your favorite cookware.

dcarch

• amck2
    11 years ago

Cathy, we are embarking on this induction adventure at the same time. I just got a Max Burton single unit that I began using last week.

My DF range has to be replaced and I'm going through a rough patch caring for my parents right now. Was in analysis/paralysis but needed something to get me through the coming months. I thought the single unit would allow me to test drive induction and buy me time to better plan my permanent replacement and possible remodel.

Anyway, I share you enthusiasm. I am having a blast cooking with mine. I'm told if one likes the hotplate, they will love the cooktop. I can't imagine it can get better.

I discovered by chance that a new UK-based company, ProCook, recently opened some stores here in the US. One happens to be in a nearby outlet mall. They are known for offering good quality pots, pans & knives at very reasonable prices. You can pick & choose pieces, as opposed to buying in sets and most of them are suited for induction cooking.

I had been using my LC pieces, which worked great, but I wanted a couple nonstick pans for eggs, etc. I got a terrific little omelet pan for $27.00.

Please continue to post about your induction experience. I'm on the learning curve, too, and would appreciate any tips.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

amck - I see the induction hotplates a little differently. Even if you aren't wowed by the single hob, you will LOVE the cooktop. The single hobs are 120V units, so they are signficantly underpowered. The cooktops are all 220-240V. The difference in power is huge.

For cookware, I bought an induction-ready set from Costco. I think it costed $160 and the set included 3 skillets, 4 or 5 saucepans with a steamer insert, and lids for everything. These are my everyday workhorses. I already had a lot of cast iron, both enameled and bare, and an induction-ready pressure cooker. I added 3 skillets in different sizes, a big stockpot,.an even bigger canning kettle, two flat-bottomed carbon steel woks and I'm set.

Cheryl

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DC, I knew you would be able to provide some technical information. That's interesting that it's doable.

Amck, I hope you will share your experiences too! Love to hear any revelations.

Cheryl, I have mentioned before that the North America Factory and the only outlet store for Berghoff is a few miles from me. I really try to avoid it for obvious reasons but I think I have a reason so I am headed there now. It was soooo hard not to go in 3 weeks ago BI (before induction) when we had brunch at a lovely new restaurant across the highway from Berghoff. Anyway, I'm off to see what I can score.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SILICON MATS-any feedback on silicon mats to protect the cooktop from scratches?

I was thinking about getting a baking mat, cutting it in circles the size of the burners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Mat

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

I've had induction for the last 3 years. My kitchen remodel begins next Monday and I'll be getting a new induction range. Looking forward to it because the first range (from Sears) had some problems A&E couldn't solve. They had zero experience with induction.

Why are you worried about scratching the cooktop? The induction cooktop surface isn't any different from other electric cooktops. Mine has never scratched, but then I don't use cast iron on it--cast iron is too heavy for my wrists.

Good luck and hope your enjoy your new appliance!

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Over on Appliances there has been some discussion of silicon mats, or little discs, on induction. This isn't to prevent scratches on the ceram, it's to keep the base of the pot away from the surface, to prevent overheating. If the cooktop gets too hot, it will usually shut down to prevent damage.

I tried using large silicon circles under pots to prevent damage and found that this is NOT a good idea. At about 500F, silicon will scorch. It turns brown and becomes brittle. My cooktop will get to 600F easily so I don't put anything under the pots. I've never gotten the cooktop to shut down even at 600F+, so I stopped worrying about it.

What cookware did you get? Tell all!

Cheryl

• triciae
    11 years ago

Cathy,

Sometimes, when cooking with my LC I just toss a thin tea towel over the stove and cook directly on the towel. Keeps the stove clean and prevents the possibility of scratching although I don't always do this, usually just when cooking something that splatters, and scratching hasn't been a problem.

/tricia

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

I've had very little scorching of pan/foods with induction because it is so responsive to changes in temperature. I heat the pan then turn the heat down to an appropriate level. Radiant hobs were the worst--slow response and lots of nasty pans.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am bummed, I have 3 everyday pans (12", 10", 8") that I use almost everyday. I can't use any of them.
    Cheryl, Duh, forgot about the appliance forum. Someone over there copied all the links to previous discussions about induction. I am still reading through the posts and it's been very helpful. Thanks.
    I wish I had brought my camera (only had cell phone camera) to take pictures of the outlet. I think you all would be excited about this store...well as excited as one can get over cookware.
    I just got an omelet pan, sauce pan, magnetic hot pad.
    Tricia and Beach, In reading through the discussions mentioned above, I'm seeing that scratching isn't much of an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Forum Induction Discussions

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

You go girl! I am excited for you. I know NOTHING about this type of range, but I am really happy for you.

• triciae
    11 years ago

Hey, isn't today installation day? You must be excited! What are you going to cook first? We boiled water first - what can I say...we are easily entertained. lol

/tricia

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Cathy, I can't even imagine to what degree "extreme excitement" is an understatement for you! Getting any new stove is exciting enough, combined with it being induction, and you being a gadget lover.... me oh my!

And you have a great excuse to shop for new pans! What could be better? I'm sorry that you'll be losing some of your favorites though!

Since I live in an apartment, I can't buy an induction stove, but I do so love my portable unit. Sometimes, I put a paper towel between the pan and burner, just because I can! It freaks people out the first time they see it :o)

And, I understand about nobody understanding. I watched my co-worker's eyes glaze in confusion and boredom as they tried to figure out how I could be so excited about "cooking with magnets" (that's what they got out of it anyway) when I first got my portable unit!

I, too, have found many things that won't work on induction (my aluminum pressure cooker, the supposedly "safe" non-stick cookware, the reversible stove top griddle/grille, most regular non-stick cookware). I read about the plates and then decided against them after reading many scathing reviews. However, I still have a gas range to use those other things with if I must. I think it would be easy to find compatible replacements for most things.

I got super excited when I found a non-stick frying pan at Target that said induction compatible. It was a Giada De Laurentiis branded pan and it was stainless steel on the bottom and teflon inside. Good weight, nice sturdy long handle, and great size. So, I paid 35 dollars for it and tired it out on the turkey meatball recipe that came with it. Worked fine.... after I washed it twice, the coating started peeling. I've never had a pan do that before, even ones I've spent much less on! I should have known better... I never liked Giada anyway because she incessantly looks as if she's going to make out with the camera at any given moment :o)

Good tip about magnets... I don't usally walk around with a purse since I'm a guy, so I don't carry a magnet with me, but it's easy enough to find refirgerator magnets in stores...

I talked with the guy in Sears a few months ago about induction (I used to work at Sears so I feel it's my obligation to "talk shop" with the employees there whenever I go through... the poor things probably watch for me to come and decide to take a lunch break right then)... Anyway, he only had one Induction range on the floor and it was a Kenmore. He said that he hadn't sold any in the year that he'd been there because many people still don't know what they are or are scared of them, but that he personally liked them. I looked at Best Buy and they only had 1 Samsung induction range... I'm a little disappointed at the selection at most places because I'm really intrigued by the technology.

Two things that bothered me a little about induction ranges are that there is nothing visual (nothing lights up or turns red or is on fire) and that most of the controls are touch sensitive sliders or buttons... I'm a little more tactile than that and prefer a knob on a stove (my portable is one of the few that has a knob, but I haven't seen a full sized version that does yet)....

Anyway, I am really happy for you and I hope you love at as much as you are anticipating. Don't forget that some pans with "hum" on induction and there's nothing wrong if that happens. They say it happens more with cheap pans, but I've had it happen with good ones too...

Can't wait for first impressions :o)

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Installation went fine and I have only boiled water because of the repairmen being here pulling out the wall ovens then the AC repairman telling me my "new" unit isn't working.

I was disappointed that the cooktop has white circles on it. I saw it in the warehouse on the floor, at that angle they weren't so pronounced.

Bobby, Like you, I'm finding out that a small percentage of people know what induction is. They often think "convection". So, I have not mentioned it to acquaintances so as not to embarrass them.

OT: Would you ever go back to work for Sears?
    How's grandma?

• triciae
    11 years ago

Well?? What do you think of it??? WFD on the new induction? Wow, that's quite an oven unit!

/tricia

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tricia, I didn't cook dinner but I did do breakfast this morning. I burned the bacon WHILE I WAS WATCHING; I mean beyond being edible! Okay lesson #5-don't cook anything but water on H.

I did cook an unnamed corn product, it didn't stick to the bottom of the pan as usual so I didn't have to stir constantly for 60 minutes as with the radiant cooktop.

I made eggs over easy for the HG. I have never done over easy well but this time...Perfection!

Cheese omelet for me-very easy and quick.

PROMISE: I won't take up the CF's time with my Induction Adventure at least not minute-by-minute. Where else could I have gotten all this input and support, thank you!!!

Signing off,
    Cathy

• westsider40
    11 years ago

While you were watching? Thanks for a big laugh. I, for one, love reading your induction adventure.

Everything is easier than you had imagined. Enjoy cleaning? yes!

• cj47
    11 years ago

PROMISE: I won't take up the CF's time with my Induction Adventure at least not minute-by-minute

Oh, phooey, why not?? Anyone who doesn't want to read it won't, and those of us who are enjoying hearing about it, will. Post away! I echo Westsider40--is it what you'd hoped it would be?

What brand is it? And what kind of ovens are those? Wow, exciting stuff going on in your house! :-) Tell it, sister!!

Bacon--that's really funny. I have learned not to walk away from the cooktop when I have food going...things just happen too fast. The good news is that it's so responsive to my commands that things are easily fixed when they start going wrong. Once you get the hang of it, it'll be second nature to do what needs to be done, ie, find the right button/slider/etc.

Enjoy!
    Cj

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Cj, since I wasn't really contributing, I didn't want to take up CF time.

Yes, I was actually watching the bacon burn and didn't react quickly enough to prevent it.

While it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I couldn't pass up the price because of some unexpected expenses and I didn't want to wait any longer. Below is the model. I got it for $897. Lesson #6: You can't multi-task while using a induction cooktop.

So far it's fun. I was frying pork belly so it was an opportunity to try the newspaper under the pot to catch the splatters. Worked like a charm!!!!

*To answer your question about the ovens, it's a Thermador Triple Oven. I love it...well, when it's working.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooktop

• cj47
    11 years ago

AWESOME deal on the cooktop! I wouldn't have passed that up, either!

Sorry your ovens aren't working properly--hopefully they'll fix 'em and you can get that behemoth off of the floor and working!

Cj

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

Sorry to be so late to the party, I've been out of town.

Cathy, I'm excited for you. Induction cooking is the best. I've had my induction cooktop for just over two years and can not imagine ever going back to anything else.

One of the first things I noticed was how evenly foods browned and cooked. I swear my cooking improved 1000%. I think one learns very quickly that the cooking process can be much faster, so having all prep work done before hand is important.

I still can't get over how responsive it is. Numerous times I've had foods almost to the boiling over point and just turned down the heat and watched the bubbles go down instantly, no more moving the pot off the burner.

I love, love, love being able to have some paper towels around the pan to catch grease splatters when frying. When I'm done cooking I use those towels to wipe off the cooktop. Which reminds me, my cooktop is always clean, no work at all. It also looks as good as the day it was new, no scratches. I've also noticed that the bottoms of my pans stay much nicer too.

I could go on, but you are already finding out for yourself how wonderful it is. Enjoy!!!!!

Nancy

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I love my induction but I miss being able to make pan gravy...my roasting pans are stainless and don't work on the cook top.....

• pkguy
    11 years ago

Congrats. I'm still wanting one myself. Just two weeks ago when that KA dw of mine broke I went back to the store I'd bought it to buy an extended warranty. We're standing around chatting and I asked if he had any inductions. He led me to just the one they were clearing out, A Frigidaire with two induction elements on the left and two regular glass cooktop units on the right for $1049. I was so tempted. Samsung has one as well with 3 induction units and 1 regular unit on the top. I think its a good idea actually keeping at least one regular unit for glass or aluminum pan usage. I just one one in white is all and I don't think at this time you can get white ones. They're all stainless or black.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy, I can't imagine your cooking "improving 1000%", so that has to make you the best cook in the universe as you were already terrific! I hope all was okay on your trip, is she okay?

PK, I was considering for a long time the Electorlux hybrid, it just made so much sense. But after about a year of researching it, the consensus was against it so that was one of the must-haves that I dropped. Of course I didn't get everything I wanted anyway because I sold out for the price.

All is great so far!!!

• cj47
    11 years ago

Pkguy, if you do some digging on this site, you'll find that the consensus is that people who get the combination units wish they'd have gone with all induction. They find themselves preferring to use the induction hobs, and the radiant ones go unused. I can see how that would be. Radiant hobs are so much slower, weaker, and harder to control, I know I'd never use them unless it was my only choice for a burner. I have 5 induction burners and have 4 going at once more often than I thought I would, and if 2 of those were radiant, I'd just be annoyed. I'm not trying to insult those who prefer cooktops with radiant hobs, it's just that I lived with those for 13 years, and never did like them even a little bit.

Cj

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Cathy, I'm glad to see you are getting to know your induction cook top! Those prominent circles would bother me a little at first too....

When I first got my portable unit, I was talking a co-worker about it and he told me a great story.... he said he had a house a few years ago that had a stove that only worked with a couple of is pans and it would beep and not get hot if he tried to use the other other ones... he thought it was broken and almost called an appliance repair person to come "fix" it, but didn't because he didn't cook enough to worry about it! He didn't realize it was a "special" stove until our coversation.... years after he'd moved out of that house.

It looks like you got a really good deal on your unit, and reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

There is some great technology out now... Panasonic, Thermador, and Gaggeneau all make induction cook tops that sense the size and position of the pan and you can put the pans anywhere you want on the surface.... and it's controlled with a touch screen (they are putting touch screens on everything now... Kenmore even has a dishwasher with one)... The Panasonic verson which is just a concept model will also power a blender and juicer that are made specifically to go with that cook top! There's a video on Youtube...

The UK has all the pretty induction ranges... we don't seem to get them here... do a google image search for a Rangemaster or Falcon induction range an see what I mean... they even have slide out grills and dual, side-by-side ovens!

(responding to off topic questions, I wouldn't work for Sears again because they didn't pay well and I don't think they are doing well overall, but I had a blast when I did work for them because I was selling vacuums and sewing machines... it's a good memory!.... and granny is back home now from having had the chemo port put in so she's doing better... thanks for asking)

We still have to set up something if you haven't already gotten rid of all those pots and pans (and even if you have :o)

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

This is a great thread even though I still don't understand induction after reading through all this information. ;-)Really, you can put a towel under the burner and a pan on top and the towel doesn't burn? Who knew?

I'm so excited for you! All I know is that for some crazy reason I can't have a gas cooktop any longer I'm calling you.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Cathy, I am happy that you are happy with this. I too have learned a lot, and mainly that this would not be for me. The thought that after all these years of having to buy new cookware fills me with a strange horror because I love mine. They are old freinds and I know them well. I have never had a problem with even browning and I always multitask when cooking. I would definately mess up the timing of getting dinner on the table. And while I don't pressure can to the extent of our Annie, I want to be able to do it without having to get a second stove.

Thanks for all the insights!

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Mustangs, Have we had a cooking update since the 'watched bacon'?

Have your grandbabies seen your new magic stove?

And I would have gotten a GE also, if, at the time, they didn't require 12" clearance underneath. I got a Bosch and I love it, but I can't think of an induction top I wouldn't have loved. Zoneless is so not worth the money to this infrequent cook.

And isn't it clean and easy to clean? Maybe the best part!

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bobby, lets arrange a get together. I know you are very busy but if you can carve out some time to come to lunch or dinner, stay over, or whatever, then you can take you pick of the pots or all of them.

RR, Your gas cooktop just fits your kitchen. It looks like it rules the place so you are good. Yes, you can put paper under the pot. I used newspaper to catch the splatters.

Pep, I do realize that it's not for everyone and it was very hard to give up my coddled pots and pans. I do have a stand alone burner for canning because I had a radiant cooktop and canning isn't advised. I couldn't give up the canner that you gave me so I bought the single burner.

Westsider, No cooking update because I promised on a post above not to bother the CF with my induction adventures but I didn't want to ignore the supportive and inquisitive posts! No, I haven't shown the grands anything yet, I've been working on my Grammy Ninja moves to impress DGS and cheering to impress DGD. Not working, I fell on my butt.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio