SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Induction cook top safety.

The discussions regarding pressure cooking chicken stock got me thinking a little.

What puzzles me is the common statement that only iron or magnetic material can be used for cooking on an induction cook top and Annie1992 thinks that her boss PC is aluminum.

As I understand electricity, any conductive material, not just magnetic material, when subjected to a magnetic field, will generate electricity. ThatÂs how a transformer works, having a primary coil to produce a magnetic field to excite the secondary coil to generate electricity. The transformer coils are almost always copper and not iron. Also thatÂs how a soldering gun works. It uses the secondary copper coil to generate the heat.

It is entirely possible that aluminum cookware can be made to work on an induction cook top because electric heat occurs by means of two factors, known as hysteresis loss and resistance heat by eddy current and in aluminum eddy current can occur.

Because of the fact that magnetic field can induce the generation of electricity and there fore heat in any metal, I am very curious about one thing:

Do they have warnings about possible danger if you have a pace maker to be near an induction cook top? I donÂt have an induction cook top so I donÂt know.

dcarch

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH