SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Thank you for Midsomer Murders!

alisande
12 years ago

My thanks to Mare and the others in this thread who recommended the British series "Midsomer Murders." I added it to my Netflix instant queue and am thoroughly enjoying it!

Comments (28)

• emagineer
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't posted on this forum before. Just starting to read all, or at least most recent. Missed the thread on British TV and have been a fan for years. Have enjoyed a good many that are mentioned and thanks too for others posted.

Misomer Murders is wonderful to see the interiors of the houses. I'd love some of the kitchens.

Watch Saving Grace a 2000 comedy movie with Doc Martin. I think it was filmed in the same town. Off the wall fun. Clume doesn't star in it, but think I read somewhere this is where the idea for the show came from.

Sherlock (UK) set in today's world is unique and humorous. There is a US version, but not as good to me. And the Young Dr. Harriot series just started about his beginnings in the Vet world as a college student.

Apologies if I posted in the wrong thread or went OT with the original poster. Thanks to you though I was able to read it.

Am enjoying your chatter on this forum.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

emagineer- welcome to the KT. Won't worry about your post - it's perfect and thanks for more recommendations. I tape quite a few British series but now I'll look for the Saving Grace movie too.

I hope you join in the KT fun and spend more time with us. Welcome again.

Maire

• Related Discussions

Halloween Murder scene thanks to Noel

Q

Comments (11)
    That is quite a catchy name.... yes the poor little family... but you know... somedays at my place.... even with out the hurricane my place looks kind of like that scene... and I know for sure I have LOST MY HEAD>>>> several times!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures !!! God Bless H*A*P*P*Y *** HOLIDAYS !!!***** susiesunshine
    ...See More

Would you buy a murder house?

Q

Comments (51)
    Murder in a house is not a material defect and it is not required to be disclosed. However, that being said, there is a pretty famous house in my area where a serial killer kept and held the bodies of at least 7 women. (well known) When he was discovered and arrested, a realtor bought the house, cleaned and flipped it within a few months and made a good chunk of money. It doesnt bother most people what happened in a house before. It only bothers a small portion of the poulation. I realize this post is 8 years old, but since its coming up again, it must be important to someone.
    ...See More

Do you need to declare a murder in any state?

Q

Comments (12)
    ...forgot to add that the living are always the ones that worry me. If you're buying a house, you might check with law enforcement- have they had received complaints about that address for such things as gang activity, drugs, or violence? Vengeful people & violent people might return to the house with weapons. Many years ago, when I split up with my now-ex, I moved into a tiny little old rent house. I had paid the deposit & the first month's rent, & was ready to move in as soon as the current tenant moved out. When the rental agent called to tell me that the house was ready, I reserved the van & went to pick up the house keys. As she put the keys into my hand, the rental agent said, "oh, by the way, the lady who just moved out of the house has a crazy ex-boyfriend that keeps wanting to get back together with her, that's why she moved. So if he comes by, just tell him she's moved." (So I not only have to worry about my vengeful ex, I have to worry about someone else's.) Seeing the stricken look on my face, she added, "but he probably won't come by when he doesn't see her car." Well, he did come by. Fortunately, abusers & stalkers don't usually reveal that part of their personality to other people, or maybe he was just in the "remorse" phase of his cycle, so when I told him that I didn't know her, never had met her,didn't know where she was, & that I was living in the house now, he said thanks & went away. but if I'd known it before I'd paid & rented the van, I would have found another house.
    ...See More

For Midsomer Murders Fans

Q

Comments (5)
    We've already seen those episodes on a DVD from our library. There's a cute little dog in the cast now, too.
    ...See More
  • alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Emagineer, Maire's right--no apology needed! Thanks for the intriguing recommendations, and welcome to the KT.

• mare_wbpa
    12 years ago

Glad you're enjoying MM Susan. You might also like "A Touch Of Frost". Another British mystery series. Not as pretty as MM but the lead character is indeed a character.

Welcome emagineer. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks

• User
    12 years ago

Susan, you are so lucky that Midsomer Murders is new to you. Lots and lots of episodes to enjoy. :o) Also check out the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries with Diana Rigg, very entertaining and witty, and the period clothes are great.

• pam_25f
    12 years ago

Ooh.so excited. I just checked the Amazon Prime movies and tv and I can watch Midsomer Murders for free! I have never seen it, so will start with season 1. I hope I like it as well as so many of you do.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Petra, thanks! Diana Rigg = Mrs. Peel!! I loved The Avengers back in the sixties. So I checked Netflix, and only one episode of the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries is available for streaming--and it's available only until tomorrow. Naturally, I started watching it right away!

I've always been fascinated by the 1920s, so it was fun to see the clothes and the cars--and the manners. I checked to see how much the series is going for on Amazon, but apparently a DVD of collected episodes hasn't been issued. The most I could find was four episodes together; the rest were one episode per DVD. Disappointing. But thanks for telling me about this show.

Pam, I started Midsomer Murders with season 1, episode 1, too. Let us know how you like it.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Ah yes, "Mrs. Peel, we're wanted!" Rigg was a sleek sort of hot mama, wasn't she? Our library has a DVD that's Series One of "Mrs Bradley" -- I think it's has four episodes.

We just bought a Blu-Ray for our condo. It has WiFi built in. Now I have to figure out how to 'stream' stuff and join Netflix. Kinda neat -- if any of our guests have Netflix accounts they can use this player to access movies on their account. (What a New World! And the Sony player was only $90.)

WELCOME, emagineer! Thanks for reminding us about "All Creatures Great and Small". I think we've seen one of those actors in "The Last Detective" -- another UK series we've enjoyed.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Gads, thanks for the welcome. I tend to hold off on posting anew, but this group seems to have great fun as well as caring for so many.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quelle misunderstanding! Netflix said the single Mrs. Bradley Mysteries episode (Speedy Death) was available until 1/31/12. I thought that meant I could finish watching it today. Not so! With a 1/2 hour left to watch, I have lots of clues to the murderer's identity, but I'm not even close to figuring it out. :-(

To console myself, I just added "Rosemary & Thyme" to my instant queue. Has anyone seen this British mystery series?

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

I don't have Netflix but Rosemary & Thyme, Foyle's War, Midsomer Murders and some others are on my cable. I love the interactions between the 2 women - they're quite natural together.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Maire. I think I'll enjoy it. Have you caught any of the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries? It was a good recommendation.

• mare_wbpa
    12 years ago

I watched a couple of episodes of "Rosemary & Thyme". It's very beautiful, but there are other series that I'm enjoying. I'll watch my favs until I see them all, or until they take them off, then watch R&T if it's still available.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

I saw the Rosemary & Thyme episodes a few years ago & loved them.

The pairing of a "downsized" (unemployed) academic with a "displaced homemaker" (woman who had given up a career to be a wife & mother & whose husband traded her for a younger model) was touching & poignant.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Well...we tried really hard to like Rosemary & Thyme, but gave up after three episodes. Beautiful flowers, though!

emagineer -- Care to 'splain your name here? (I'm channeling Ricky Ricardo today. lol)

• User
    12 years ago

We watched Rosemary and Thyme a while back. It was okay, but a little too cutesy and Felicity Kendall is sort of annoying. I liked it a little more than hubby.

Susan, I am glad you enjoyed at least part of a Mrs. Bradley episode. :o) I just checked and Netflix does have them on CD, if your Netflix plan includes those.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

remember poldark(sp)series? am enjoying the the new sherlock...

we get doc martin off and on...i must have watched "are you being served" reruns every night for years...

don't remember the name but the italian detective show has been interesting...

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Chisue...I taught CAD/CAM (computer graphics) to engineers for years from the time computers were the size of a large refrigerator to current creation of PCs. They couldn't do as much as the laptop of today graphic wise. Although number crunching was a bit more indepth. Am also an artist. The name was created a good 15 years ago when my husband had the opportunity to visit the Disney studios and see their developement of sets in miniature. They call themselves "Imagineers". Sort of stolen by me. I'm an analytical/artist which causes conflict between creativity and taking too long on details. Thanks for asking.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Imagineers" . . . that's why Emagineer sounded so familiar to me! My DH was a chemical engineer who did a lot with CAD/CAM back in the day on his $6,000 Dell computer with a 40MB hard drive. (My Amiga had no hard drive at all, so I was impressed!) :-)

• emagineer
    12 years ago

alisande...yup, chemical and oil here too. Applications evolved into RTA as we know it now.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Our DIL's sister married a programmer whose company was bought by Disney, so we hear a lot about 'Imagineering', although he uses other terms. LOL Jeff has every gadget known to man: latest cameras, computers, phones, etc. DS has been gratefully receiving the hand-me-downs.

I'm increasingly getting the feeling that the nation (maybe the whole world) has been 'Disney-ized' -- NOT in a good way.

• popi_gw
    12 years ago

If you like Midsomer Murders you might like "Kingdom" with Steven Fry. Lovely scenery, very British, he is a country lawyer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kingdom

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to you, Popi, it is now on my Netflix instant queue. This is fun! The friend I spend the most time with is British, and between her and these shows I expect I'll be sounding different soon.

• gabriell_gw
    12 years ago

I would love to be able to do the Netflix all of you are using.I'm told I would have to have a gaming device to hook onto. Is that the way you are able to get it on your tv? I am ignorant about technical things.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gabriell, you can use a Blu-Ray DVD player or a gaming device, or possibly something else, but as far as I know the least expensive is a Roku streaming player. You can get one of these for under $100. It's what I use.

Have fun (I am)!

• mare_wbpa
    12 years ago

Gabriell, you can also watch Netflix on your computer. Before I got my Roku I watched it on my laptop or desktop. It's just more comfortable to be able to see it on your TV with a device.Netflix usually has a free 1 month trial offer. Just google Netflix and get onto their site.

• jae_tn2
    12 years ago

my experiences and history of my hometown, oak ridge, tn,

the town was built in total secrecy in 1942 for the sole purpose of building an atomic bomb with which to end ww2. the workers were hired not knowing what they were making, why they were making it, and asked to trust those who told them what to do. there were 3 plants, y-12, k-25, and x-10. the largest, k-25, continues to be dismantled but is a slow process due to asbestos and nuclear contaminants. another is closed and another converted to a national laboratory. the workers never spoke about their jobs to each other or anyone else. the main street in town had many billboards promoting patriotism and pride in what they were doing, even if they didn't know what that was! interestingly, there were many female employees. at it's height, there were nearly 100,000 workers and the median age was 27. many didn't have college educations and they came from all over the country. lots were single and met and married co-workers and lived here the rest of their lives.

as mentioned before, my family moved there in 1946 when i was 6 months old. we lived in one of the trailers at first then moved to a "tdu" (temporary dwelling unit" which was a 2 bedroom duplex. from then until my mom died in 2009, the family home was one of three of this type. there were 7-8 types of houses and you were assigned to yours depending on the importance of your job. i think rent in ours was originally maybe $20/month. my dad was the projectionist for the movie theater so not high up on the totum pole!

the houses were never meant to last long and had interior walls that were the thickness of sheetrock. outer walls weren't much thicker. no insulation, coal stoves, and built up on stilts, if needed, to adapt to the contour of the land. one of our houses was built up high enough so that we could play under it and stand up. i spent hours sweeping dirt while playing house.........lol.

my husband's father was in the accounting dept. at one of the plants and they had a better grade house than we did. to this day, people refer to what type house they used to live in....."A". "B". "C", "D", TDU, cemesto or flat top. even back then there were social stigmas based on your house and neighborhood since all houses in any given neighborhood were all one type. after the war ended the houses were sold to the occupants. in the case of duplexes, which we lived in, the side with seniority of time in residence was given the first option to buy the whole building for about $4,000 - $5,000. we were forced to find another house to move to and rent one side from an owner who didn't plan to convert it into one large house. we lived in one end of 4 different places, having to move when the owner who usually lived in the other side, decided to convert. i was 12 when we moved to what turned out to be the last time. my mother continued to rent until her death in 2009. i can remember rent being about $40 when i was a teenager and she was paying $325/mo when she died! this house was unchanged since the early 1940's other than paint, removal of the coal stove, and replaced bathroom sink and showerstall. hard as i tried, i couldn't blast her out of that place!

the schools were segregated until the mid 50's. yes, i grew up in the front of the bus and never had any contact with a black person until late junior high or early high school. until the change was made, they had to be bussed to knoxville which was about 30 miles away. their neighborhood was physically segregated also and sat on the outskirts of town.

each neighborhood had it's own elementary school...9 in all. the schools were all named after trees, or nature related - linden, willowbrook, cedar hill, woodland, etc. there were 2 junior highs and one high school. my graduating class of 1963 had over 400 students. the schools were top-notch and the high school was consistently in the top 100 in the us. this was due to having so many scientists living here and working on "the bomb" and needing quality education in order to keep them there. there were community programs that were implemented for the same reasons. my favorite was the summertime playground activities. each elementary school had "coaches", usually one male and female in their early 20's who planned and executed the activities - arts and crafts, costume contests, softball leagues with end of the season tournaments and a huge parade at the end of summer. i hung out there ever day, all day long.

at some point in my youth, the city gave away blueprints that were made of some strange substance. they were layered and if you washed them multiple times they turned into a muslin type fabric that my mom made curtains out of! crazy......

another thing that might not have been unique to my town but we had a "rolling store" that was a converted bus that contained groceries and candy. it traveled through the neighborhoods on a regular schedule. there was also a library bus, the bookmobile, that came once a week so we could have access to library books without having to take the bus to the main library.

i remember having air-raid drills quite often in elementary school. the town was surrounded ny barbwire fences and there was no air traffic allowed over the town. we had to cover our heads and duck under the desk during the drill. the sirens were sounded all throughout the town. i remember playing outside in open fields and finding huge clumps of grass that we would jump into the middle of and claim to be our spot if an air raid signal sounded while we were playing outside.

in high school i was a cheerleader and we had to travel to neighboring cities for games. our opponents were seriously leery of us believing we were "radioactive". to this day, anyone who knows of the history of oak ridge is apt to comment on whether i glow in the dark having grown up there!

there were small grocery stores in each neighborhood and a larger one in the center of town. we drove to the country each weekend for chickens, caught and butchered on the spot, and eggs. the town was built in a unique way. going east and west was the main road from one end to the other for about 9 miles, gate to gate. the main offshoots from "the turnpike" were names of states. they went at right angles for as far as possible and were alphabetically named after states. not every state was used and in later years there were new roads put in that broke the pattern. all of the lanes and circles branching off of, say, tennessee avenue, were named something with a "t", and so on for every state named street. it made it fairly easy to find where someone lived even if you just had to drive up and down tennessee looking for townsend.....you'd find it before too long.

i left home in 1964, when i got married, and mc donalds had only been in town a couple of years. we had a u-shaped mall with jc penneys and sears and locally owned drive-in restaurants. eventually more retail opened but any major shopping had to be done in knoxville. in the 70's and 80's the main emphasis tended to be for the town to concentrate on medical facilities. the population is now tending to be elderly and very little retail.....just doctors and restaurants. the schools are still great and the high school athletics are still strong. we were state football champions in 1958 and that has been repeated a couple of times since. it was normal when we lived it but the older i got, the more unique and special my youth and experiences growing up here became. i guess i thought everyone would have learned in history class about the important part this little town in tennessee played in ending ww2. but then, wars aren't popular and maybe it's easier to not remember that time in the history of the us.

this is a 10 minute video produced by a man who wants to get support for his screenplay. i don't understand the 9/11 connection and his fictiional parts he wants to include but it is an interesting look at the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQO7pOfBdxY

i just found this site that has some interesting information and a short film, if you can get it to work.

http://www.secretcitythemovie.com/

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Here I am in the wrong thread. Maybe I haven't the nerve to post one.

Ran into an article about a Season 6 for Doc Martin. Rumor at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible Doc Martin 6