SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

How about favorite Chocolate Cake Recipes?

jel48
13 years ago

I was just reading Glenda's Wacky Cake thread and it started me thinking of Chocolate Cake. There are so many different great chocolate cake recipes. Let's get a batch of them together in one thread. I made this first one Saturday to take to a Memorial Service for my step-daughter's fiance's dad. I also made it for my grand-daughter's baby shower. And it's so easy, it can be made any time for any reason at all! Like the Wacky Cake, it contains no eggs. It does have a little milk but that could easily be replaced by water (making it suitable for my Vegan eating daughter). I'll post another favorite later, if I have time, but that one has to be manually typed in while this one is a link to an online recipe, so you get the easy one first :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

Comments (28)

• dotmom
    13 years ago

That cake sounds good. I remember a chocolate cake I used to make years ago using sour kraut. It was delicious, nice and moist. I have long ago lost the recipe but probably could find it on the I-net, but lately my dial up has been too slow to do any research. it tries my patience.

• paula_pa
    13 years ago

My favorite chocolate cake is fresh in my memory. I just made it for my son's birthday last week. I've made it MANY times but I always make 1 1/2 times the recipe and bake it in a disposable 1/2 sheet pan and decorate it right in the pan. It's a very dense and fudgy cake so it doesn't dome - perfect for decorating but I imagine it's a pain to get out of a cake pan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Fudge Cake

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: fabulous coffee chocolate bunt cake

Q

Comments (6)
    I must be dense this morning. Exactly what are you doing to the whipped cream when you are steeping it? It is still in it's liquid form and you add coffee beans and warm it? How hot? do you warm it on the cooktop in a pan? Micro? Can you clarify for me?
    ...See More

RECIPE: Chocolate Mousse Cake

Q

Comments (3)
    Is it difficult to remove from the pan without using a springform? Haven't had a chocolate mousse cake in ages. Ginger, Out of the 4 times I have made this cake, I have always used a springform pan. I think it would be very difficult to remove using a standard cake pan.
    ...See More

Long forgotten about cake recipe: Wacky Cake

Q

Comments (30)
    There are may versions of the Better Than Sex Cake.This recipe was given to me by an aunt. I made it once many years ago to take to work. It was a hit. 1 (18.5 oz) yellow cake mix 1 (1 lb 4 oz) can crushed pineapple 1 C sugar 1 ( oz) pkg vanilla pudding mix (not instant) 1 C whipping cream, whipped & sweetened flake coconut, lightly toasted Prepare cake mix according to directions on pkg. Pour into 13 x 9 pan and bake as directed. Cool. Combine pineapple & sugar & bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Poke holes into cooled cake with a fork. Pour pineapple mixture over the cake. Prepare pudding mix according to directions. Cool. Spread over pineapple & chill. Just before serving, cover with whipped cream & sprinkle with coconut.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Q

Comments (14)
    Here's the recipe I use for a 2 layer or 9x13" pan. Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake 2c all purpose flour 1 1/2c sugar 2/3c unsweetened cocoa 2 1/4c baking powder 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 1/2c mayonnaise 1 1/2c water 2 tsp vanilla Grease pan and sift together dry ingredients. Stir in mayo and slowly stir in water and vanilla until smooth and well blended.Pour into pan and bake in 350° preheated oven for about 35 minutes or til tests done. RL`
    ...See More
  • OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

t=teaspoon
    T=Tablespoon
    c=cup

2 1/2 c unsifted flour
    1/2 c cocoa
    2 1/2 t soda
    1 t salt
    1 t cinnamon
    3/4 c margarine or butter
    2 c sugar
    3 eggs
    2 t vanilla
    2 t grated orange peel (optional)
    2 c shredded zucchini
    1/3 c milk
    1 c nuts (optional)

350 degree oven

mix first 3 ingredients, set aside

Beat margarine and add the next 5 ingredients and add the flour mixture and milk. Mix well. Pour in to greased and floured bundt cake form (springform). Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes and then take it out of the pan to let cool the rest. Drizzle with icing if desired.

Icing
    2 c powdered sugar
    3 T milk

Really yummy with a dollop of whipping cream on top. :)

When my girls were still living at home, I had this one listed as Chocolate cake, in my hand written cookbook. And the following ingredient: 2 c shredded zucchini
    was listed as 2 cups secret ingredient, as they wouldn't eat zucchini.

Moni

• jannie
    13 years ago

At Christmas I made brownies from a box, added a can of cherry pie filling. My family loved it-I called it Black Forest Brownies!

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

omg there was this chocolate pound cake that just begged for icey cold milk...not sweet, either...gosh now you have me wondering if i can go thru mother's things and find it!

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

This is the best ever....

HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
    Prep time: 15 Minutes
    Skill level: Beginner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
    2 cups sugar
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup boiling water

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)

Directions

1 Heat oven to 350�F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
    2 Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
    Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
    Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
    3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
    Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
    Cool completely.

Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.

VARIATIONS: ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350� F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350�F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350�F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350�F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
    2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
    About 2 cups frosting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hershey's Perfectly Choc. cake

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

jel...I forgot to add....I've made this cake several times and my family loves it.

I will say that a scratch cake is much thicker/heavier than a box mix. Some people don't like heavy cakes. But that's the way a homemade cake is. Many people in these days have never tasted a homemade cake. To them a homemade cake IS a cake that came from a box mix.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

guess what i found dot??

beer and kraut fudge cake

2/3 c butter or margarine
    1 1/2 c sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/ c cocoa
    2 1/4 c sifted flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teasspoon soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup beer
    2/3 c rinsed, drained, and chopped kraut

cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. beat in eggs and vanilla.
    sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixturealternately with beer, beginning and ending with dry.
    stir in kraut.

turn into 2 greased and floured 8" round or square pans. bake at 350 degrees 40 minutes or till cake tests done.
    cool on rack. frost with mocha whipped cream or chocolate cream cheese frosting.

mocha whipped cream

whip 1 1/2 c whipping cream, with 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon instant coffee to soft peaks.

chocolate cream cheese frosting

2 packages (4oz) sweet cooking chocolate
    2 packages (3oz) cream cheese soften
    2 tablespon light cream
    2 c sifted confectioners sugar
    1/3 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspon vanilla

melt chocolate in double boiler, over hot, not boiling water.
    cool slightly and blend in cream cheese and light cream. slowly add confectioners sugar, mixwell after each addition. add salt and vanilla. use to frost cake.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

I used to make a chocolate pound cake that everyone loved.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

date chocolate mayonnaise cake

2 c flour sifted
    4 tbsp cocoa
    1 tsp soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 c sugar
    1 c water
    1 c diced dates

sift dry ingredients. cream together mayonnaise, and sugar. blending well. add flour mixture and water in thirds, alternately, to creamed mixture. stir in dates. turn batter into a greased and floured 9x13" pan and bakea t 350 deg. 30-35 minutes. cool and frost as desired.

• jel48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They all look great, UNTIL I got to the 'beer and kraut fudge cake'. Susanjf, have you made that one or just found it online? If you actually made it, is it good? Or even edible? I was fine with the idea of kraut in a cake... then you added the beer, LOL! What a combo!

I think I'm going to gain weight trying out quite a few of these recipes. Yum!!!

• patti43
    13 years ago

I was going to make this today, but didn't have any chocolate pudding. It's really moist.

Kahlua Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
    1 box (3.4 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
    1/2 c. Wesson oil
    1/2 c. Kahlua
    1/2 c. water
    4 eggs
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix all the ingredients except pecans. Grease a bundt pan and sprinkle pecans in the bottom of the pan. Pour the batter oven nuts and bake at 325 degrees for about 60 minutes.

Glaze:

1 c. sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/4 c. Kahlua
    1/4 c. water

Mix in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook about 3 minutes.

Spoon over warm cake while it's still in the pan. (It will be very thin.) Let set until cake comes out easily.

• Tigerlil
    13 years ago

I use to make at least 2 of these a month.Family favorite!

Texas Sheet Cake
    Ingredients
    FOR THE CAKE:
    2 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    4 Tbsp.(heaping) cocoa
    2 sticks butter(not margarine)
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 whole beaten eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    In a mixing bowl,combine flour,sugar and salt.
    Melt butter in a saucepan.Add cocoa and mix together with a whisk.
    Add boiling water,allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.Pour over flour mixture and stir lightly to cool.
    Pour the buttermilk into measuring cup and add beaten eggs,baking soda,and vanilla.Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture.Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.

FROSTING:
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    1 3/4 stick Butter(not margarine)
    4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
    6 Tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 pound(minus 1/2 Cup)powdered sugar
    While cake is baking make the icing.Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan.Add cocoa and stir to combine, then turn off heat.Add the milk,vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.Mix in the pecans and pour over the warm cake.
    Let the frosting set then cut into squares.

• bryansda
    13 years ago

This a favorite in my house.

Chocolate Chip Cake

2 cups boiling water
    1 cup quick oats
    1 stick of butter or margarine

Bring water to a boil then add oats and butter. Stir until melted and let cool. (If you want a deeper chocolate cake don't let this mix completely cool.)

1 cup sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. soda
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. cocoa
    2 cups chocolate chips (1 package)
    nuts if wanted

Cream sugars and eggs. Add oat mixture then rest of ingredients and one cup of chips. Rest of chips will be sprinkled on cake once it's in the pan.

Sheet pan (9X13) - bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.
    Bunt or tube pan - bake at 325 degrees for 70 minutes.

Once removed from oven sprinkle top with 2 Tbs. of sugar.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I have a Texas sheet cake recipe and it is moist and delicious. It might be the one posted above. Our family likes a scratch chocolate cake for their birthday cakes and with no icing. I have learned that the secret to good chocolate cakes that use cocoa powder is to use Droste's cocoa and avoid the Hershey's cocoa.

• rosebudms
    13 years ago

Such great cakes. They all sound wonderful. TigerLil has saved me from posting the Texas Sheet Cake. It is so good and really easy.

I no longer have a recipe for this, but it is easy too.

Bake a chocolate cake from a mix (2-3 layers) and slice it into four to six layers. Between each layer, fill with apricot preserves which have been thinned with hot water to be spreadable. Top with chocolate chips, melted with about a tablespoon of water and a tablespoon of shortenng.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

susanjf...try this one. It is great.

CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE

1 yellow cake mix with pudding in mix
    1 4 oz.pkg chocolate instant pudding
    one/half cup sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup water
    4 large eggs
    6 oz. chocolate chips
    8 oz. sour cream
    Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring with whisk to remove lumps. Add oil, water, eggs, chips, and sour cream.

Pour into greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan.
    Bake at 350degrees for 1 hour. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Sue

• threejs
    13 years ago

This has been made so many times the recipe cannot be read anymore, I am so glad I had copied it in another place for safe keeping. It has also been made so many times I don't need to look anymore. Most requested dessert in the family from birthday cakes to "Mom will bring".....someone will offer tell me later. The cake is very moist and has a dense texture ....the crumbs cling together lol

Chocolate Cake

1 1/3 C sugar
    1/2 C butter
    3/4 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 C sour milk
    2 C flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 C cocoa (mix with hot water enough to blend it
    approx 1/4 cup)

Cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and eggs
    beat well. Alternate dry ingredients and the sour milk.
    Beat in the moistened cocoa. Bake at 350� F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.

* mix a tbls of vinegar with milk that has come to room temperature, if you have no sour milk
    I use a 9" deep square pan or a 9 x 13 but have made cupcakes, just changed the time for baking.
    grease pan and flour with a mix of flour and cocoa

Enjoy

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

* Prep Time: 10 mins
    * Total Time: 50 mins
    * Servings: 8

About This Recipe

"Magically making its own fudge sauce this cake will become one of your favorite last-minute desserts. Serve it with ice cream for an extra special treat. Note: if you use a dutch process cocoa you will have a richer, darker result. TIP: some reviewers have recommended "baking" this in a crock pot on High for about 2 1/2 hours and then letting it cool slightly before serving. Thanks for the tip!"
    Ingredients

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    7 tablespoons cocoa, divided
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1 1/4 cups water, hot
    whipped topping

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350'F.
    2. In medium bowl stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 Tbs. cocoa, baking powder and salt. Blend in milk, butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
    4. In separate bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
    5. Pour hot water over top; do not stir.
    6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
    7. Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.
    8. Garnish with whipped topping.
      This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes.

Sue

• two25acres
    13 years ago

This was my dad's favorite, he's been gone 35 years. It's now become one of my husbands favorites.
    1 cup boiling water
    2 squares unsweetened chocolate
    1/2 cup soft margarine
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
    1 Tsp baking soda
    1/4 Tsp. salt
    1/2 Cup sour cream
    Prepare flour, salt and baking soda. Sift together.
    Boil the water and pour over chocolate. Let it melt and cool.
    Cream the margarine/vanilla abd brown sugar.
    Add eggs one at a time beating well. Add flour mixture, beat on low then medium until nice and creamy. Add the chocolate and sour cream, blend on low.
    Grease a loaf pan, we've always used an old glasbake pan that is 5X10. Place wax paper on the bottom to aid in release when done.
    Bake 325 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
    This is quite rich so you can choose your frosting. Sometimes I do a chocolate fudge recipe, sometimes a simple sprinkling of powdered sugar.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

I'll second the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake. It's great and the only chocolate cake I would make.

• whidbeykathy
    13 years ago

This one, this one!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Flan Cake

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

jel48, i found it in my mother's clippings she had collected...i don't recall her making it when i was at home, but then i moved out in 1964, lol...

she made cakes for friends all the time...

• thistledew5750
    13 years ago

OMG...these sound so good! I especially like the sound of Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake. I do not know WHY I clicked on this thread! I am on a diet and now I am OCDing about chocolate cake. The only one I have done is the Texas chocolate cake that my MIL gave me. These sound better, really. I will be making the "hershey" cake this week. Have to treat myself for being good since Jan. lst this year. LOL

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

thisltdew, you'll love it. Hope you have someone to share it with. I made one in December for a friends birthday. I sent him home with the leftovers. I'm dieting, too....darn!

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

tee hee, ED, I must say YOU must be chocolate hungry!

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

Anyone have an unappeased hunger for chocolate today?

ole joyful

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

If you use Droste's Cocoa when you bake a cake calling for cocoa powder, you will have a really delicious cake. It puts Hershey's cocoa to shame.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors