SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Nonfat Dry Milk -- how do I use it up?

lowspark
15 years ago

I bought Nonfat Dry Milk for the Chopped Apple Bread, and now I have an industrial size box of the stuff. I don't know, maybe that's the normal size but it seems so big to me. (I bought the "small" box, the other size was even bigger!)

I will make the bread again, sure, but I don't know what else to use this for. Anyone have some good recipes that call for NFDM, or common uses to spruce up dishes?

Comments (30)

• dgkritch
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can you just freeze it for the next batch of bread?
    Or, make homemade yogurt. Use in any baking calling for milk.

Deanna

• triciae
    15 years ago

You can use it in any baking recipe that calls for milk. Add the dry milk to the flour & increase liquids by the amount needed to reconstitute the milk. I use dry milk almost exclusively in baking. That apple bread looks good, BTW.

/tricia

• Related Discussions

Function of non-fat dry milk in bread recipes?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hawk, to me, if it has milk it may be nice braided bread but it isn't challah. Traditionally challah is used at Shabbat and holiday dinners and that would usually mean a meat meal. Someone who keeps kosher doesn't eat milk and meat together so challah would not have milk. pkguy and Carol, at the point where I realized the recipe called for powdered milk, I had already added the liquid so substituting wasn't an option. If I did add milk I remember the earlier discussion about the need to scald because of the enzymes. In any case, I don't think the changing the amount of liquid in the recipe to milk would provide an equivalent amount of milk solids as 2/3 cup of powdered milk. I did wonder about substituting evaporated milk which would be closer. But because we keep kosher, I generally prefer my bread not to have milk so if the bread comes out fine without it I'd be happy with that. But we don't eat much meat so I could make it with milk and just not use it with meat.
    ...See More

Can I sub buttermilk powder for non-fat powdered mlk?

Q

Comments (3)
    Sounds wonderful (and like a lot of work!) I'd love to see a picture of them and to hear how they came out.
    ...See More

substitute for non-fat dry milk?

Q

Comments (7)
    islay, I also never met a potato I didn't like, so I'd probably like these too, although they would beg to be dipped into something, I think. I'd go ahead and add cream cheese or yogurt, whatever you have on hand, not because I think it's going to change the taste, but because I think it could add a little more flavor. Non-fat dry milk doesn't add discernible taste, IMO, and you may have to add a bit more "dry" ingredients to keep the balls from falling apart. Annie
    ...See More

dry milk question

Q

Comments (7)
    vacuumfreak - If you ever order from King Arthur Flour, I'd suggest Baker's Special Dry Milk, which is a NON-instant non-fat dry milk specially formulated for yeast bread baking (see link below). It doesn't adversely effect the finished loaf like other instant and non-instant dried milk products can. Dry milk powder comes in both INSTANT and NON-INSTANT. Instant dry milk products are usually large-grained. Non-instant (such as Nestle NIDO - I get it in the Latino section at Wal-Mart) is usually a very fine powder. You need to be careful of the amount of liquid milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, or non-fat dry milk added to yeast breads. Too much dairy products will reduce the bread volume, affect the symmetry, cellular structure, and texture of bread when you use too much. You'll know you've added too much when the top of the bread, more-or-less, resembles a roller coaster ride, rather than a smooth top. I learned this lesson when I was trying to develop high-protein breads and was using excessive amounts of whey in my recipes. Then I read CookWise and learned why.... As Shirley O. Corriher points out in her book, CookWise, there is a protein in the whey of liquid milk as well as powdered milk products that is responsible for the reduced volume and poor texture when too much is added. That's where Baker's Special Dry Milk powder has been formulated to avoid those poor attributes. I use nothing BUT dry milk powder and whey-based milk powder, reconstituted for liquid milk, for our drinking and cooking, so I have at least 4 brands of dry milk products on hand at all times, but I prefer Baker's Special Dry Milk for yeast breads. I've never found a dry milk powder in my arsenal that has the positive effects on the loft of breads that Baker's Special Dry Milk does. -Grainlady Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour - Baker's Special Dry Milk
    ...See More
  • lindac
    15 years ago

It keeps forever.....don't worry about using it up.
    I often add about 1/4 cup of the stuff to yeast breads....it adds a bit of protein and calcium and makes the bread brown nicely and enhances toasting properties.
    It also is nice to add to a cream soup....gives a creamier taste without adding more cream. I make a creamed chicken soup using chicken broth for 1/2 the l;iquid and milk for the other half....with additional dry milk to make it creamier.
    You'll find uses.
    Linda C

• caliloo
    15 years ago

LindaC's hot chocolate mix comes to mind, but I'm not sure if you are into that sort of thing and it is sort of close to the end of the season for it......

I love the idea of baking with it.... that is a great idea!

Alexa

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

I agree with Linda. It doesn't seem to go bad. Sometimes when I run out of milk for the kids' cereal, I mix some dry milk up and they are fine with it. Also use it in recipes that call for milk if I see I'm about to run out of milk. A box doesn't last me long, really. And it's a lot cheaper than regular milk.

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Nonfat dry milk does NOT last forever....yet one more old wives tale that needs to be laid to rest.

It's never suggested for long-term storage UNLESS it's hermetically sealed in #10 cans or other oxygen-free long-term storage methods.

The box stuff from the grocery store actually has a relatively short shelf-life of 12-months unopened and 6-months after it's opened. See link below for pantry storage information.

Nonfat dry milk powder will start to oxidize and turn from white to a slightly yellow color with an off-flavor. The A and D vitamins quickly break down after opening. Dry milk products are sensitive to storage conditions, especially temperature and light. Dry milk powder stored in the box can also absorb moisture and odors. So it's suggested to transfer nonfat dry milk to another container than the box for better storage.

Refrigeration and freezing will lengthen the shelf life, and also if you vacuum-seal the milk powder (in a jar or canister using a FoodSaver) and keep it in dark, cool, storage. But it WON'T last forever. Freezing only slows down the degredation - it doesn't prevent it completely.

So if you've had that box on the shelf "forever", all is not lost. You can make a homemade milk bath mixture with "old" (past it's prime) dry milk powder, for a nice hot silky-smooth bath.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Safe Home Food Storage

• pkguy
    15 years ago

Well if you grow tomato's you can mix some with water and water them with it to help again blossom end rot..

If you have kids or even for yourself, add a tablespoon or two to a regular glass of milk to effectively double or triple the protein content per glass and the added calcium and you won't taste it mixed in with milk.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

more ideas on this thread

Here is a link that might be useful: NF Milk

• lindac
    15 years ago

Dry milk used to be a staple "commodity" given out by the government....chosen because of the long shelf life.
    perhaps the fortified milk did lose some of the vitamin content....but I have kept a box of opened dry milk powder on my shelf for a very long time and sure never noticed any changes in color nor texture. I used it in cooking so likely any subtle changes in flavor went un noticed.
    According to the USDA the shelf life of unfortified dry non fat milk is 48 months....to me that's practically forever.
    Linda C

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

During leaner days my mother would mix whole milk with the dried...all while the kids were in bed, otherwise we all were like ewwwwy. After we found out about that we'd always make a bru ha ha about being able to "tell" the difference. Even though we hadn't known until she told us :)

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

I don't drink a lot of chocolate which is a good use but to use it up I liked to mix it into coffee for a quick cafe latte o use it as a nonfat creamer. I also use it in my homemade pancake mix. I always freeze it in an airtight container. Just remember you have it there or it will "last" a whole lot longer. It can also be made into yogurt and then yogurt cheese. If you're interested let me know and I'll post the recipe.

• bri29
    15 years ago

While I can't comment on the shelf life of powdered milk, I can't say that I've ever had it around long enough for it to go "bad." It does start to not taste as good, but it's still mostly ok. I do notice that things taste better with fresh powdered milk, so I try to buy smaller quantities. I use it in english muffins on a semi-regular basis, that's one way to use it up. (I use Alton Brown's recipe)

Bri

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Use it like everyone said, in Baking , Pancakes , Waffles,
    Breads, Rice Pudding, Etc.
    If I run low on Regular Milk, I just add some water and powder to it and
    put in some Vanilla Ice Cream, to taste.
    When I open the Alluminum Bag,I wrap it tight and put it in a Zip Lock Bag.

If I remember right, someone once told me it was not good to use ????? Something about the fat content.
    Lou

• lowspark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll just start adding it into baking recipes as lindac suggested. Unfortunately I can't eat yogurt, if I eat it too often I get an adverse reaction.

Thanks for the link Jessy! I did do a search on "nonfat dry milk" before posting this but that didn't bring up your thread of NF dry milk - LOL. One idea I gleaned from that thread was to add it to mashed potatoes, which sounds really good because I like my mashed potatoes CREAM-Y.

I might try adding it to my morning milk, mayyyybe. But I'm not too enthralled with the thought of that. We'll see.

More ideas? Any specific recipes? Thanks all!!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

(May - I couldn't find that old thread via a search either. I had bookmarked it though!)

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Lowspark:
    I forgot about the Mashed Potatoes.

In the Army, we added Powdered Milk and Butter to Instant
    Mashed Potatoes, Among other things.
    Made a Good Mashed. Even had some lumps like Home made.
    Lou

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I always have a box and I've never had any go "bad", even that box in the back of the pantry that had been there, oh, about three years, LOL. It WAS unopened, however. The USDA is pretty stringent about time frames, I find things last much longer than they recommend.

I think it tastes funny even when it's not "old", so I don't drink it but I have several bread recipes that call for dry milk and I use it to make yogurt. Ashley likes a spoonful mixed into hot chocolate mix, it makes it "creamier", and I've always put a couple of spoonfuls into hot cereal like CocoWheats to add some extra nutrients.

Grandma added it to bread pudding too.

Makayla's all time favorite bread is something from the Bernard Clayton Bread Book that Readinglady sent me, it's called "Frisan Sugar Bread". It takes dry milk, a cup of broken sugar cubes and a tablespoon full of cinnamon, yummy for toast or Woodie's Creme Brulee French Toast. Would you like me to post the recipe? I make it in the bread machine, BTW, although it's not a bread machine recipe.

Annie

• lowspark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie,
    yes, Please post that recipe. It sounds wonderful. I'm just getting into baking my own bread so I'm on the lookout for cool recipes. Thanks!

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

I only use it in bread. I have a friend who uses it in his coffee and said it is getting more expensive. Mine is probably 9 months old and I haven't noticed it going bad. I thought it would last forever! It is a little yellow, but I don't remember it being a different color than when I first bought it. Maybe it was bad new!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

May, I'll post it tonight, I can't find it on line and the book is at home, but I'll write myself a reminder!

Annie

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

These are some recipes I've used in classes I've taught at the Food Bank, Sr. Citizen Center, and at the Co. Extension Office on Using USDA Food Commodities.

-Grainlady

WHITE SAUCE MIX

1/2 pound butter or margarine
    2 c. plus 2 T. nonfat dry milk powder
    1 c. flour
    3 t. salt

Combine all ingredients. Mix well with a pastry blender, food processor, or even an electric mixer. The mix will be granular in texture. It will keep well covered in jars in the refrigerator.

To make a medium white sauce: add 1/2 c. dry mix to 1 cup hot water and cook until it thickens. Use the same proportions for larger amounts.

To make cheese sauce: add 1/2 c. cheese to each cup of white sauce. You can change the amount of cheese, depending on how much "cheesy" flavor you want.

Thin the cheese sauce with some liquid milk and add some cooked broccoli for cream of broccoli soup. Toss in some bacon bits, chives, etc. to add additional taste. Substitute broccoli with cooked potato.

Potato Soup Made with White Sauce Mix (6 servings)

1 t. salt
    1 c. water
    2 c. finely chopped potatoes
    2 T. chopped onion
    1/2 c. chopped celery
    3/4 c. White Sauce Mix
    3 c. liquid (try liquid from cooked vegetables plus additional water)

Put the water and salt in a pan. Heat to boiling. Add the vegetables. Cook until tender. Stir the White Sauce Mix into 3 cups of liquid. Cook until slightly thick. Stir all the time. Add cooked vegetables to the white sauce. Heat 3 or 4 minutes.
    -------------------

Carrot Soup Made with White Sauce Mix (6 servings)

1/2 t. salt
    1-1/2 c. water
    2 T. chopped celery
    2 c. finely chopped carrots
    1 T. chopped onion
    3/4 c. White Sauce Mix
    3 c. liquid (liquid from cooked vegetables plus water)

Put the salt in the 1-1/2 c. water in a pan. Heat to boiling. Add the vegetables. Cook until tender. Stir the White Sauce Mix into the 3 cups of liquid. Cook until slightly thick. Stir all the time. Add the cooked vegetables to the white sauce. Heat 3-4 minutes.

-----------------------------

Casserole Sauce Mix (using nonfat dried milk powder)
    (Source: Iowa State University Extension)

This sauce mix is also a substitute for canned condensed soups.

2 c. nonfat dry milk powder
    3/4 c. cornstarch
    1/4 c. instant chicken bouillon
    2 T. dried onion flakes
    1 t. dried thyme, crushed (optional)
    1 t. dried basil, crushed (optional)
    1/2 t. pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

To use as substitute for ONE can condensed soup: Mix 1/3 cup of the dry mix with 1-1/4 c. water in a sauce pan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add 1 T. butter, if desired.

If you want, you can add some mushrooms (canned or dehydrated) for "mushroom soup", add celery for cream of celery.
    ----------------------

Hot Beverages (Mixes - using non-fat dry milk powder.)

Add hot water and enjoy .

(Note: the small amount of baking soda in each recipe is used to increase the solubility of the mix in water. For best dissolving results, put the mix in the cup then pour in hot water. For people on low-sodium diets, baking soda should NOT be used. If you substitute sugar with a non-calorie sweetener, be sure to use less than called for due to the difference in bulk of sugar VS sweetener.)

Cafe Cappuccino

1/2 c. instant coffee granules
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. non-fat dry milk powder
    1/2 t. dried orange peel
    1/8 t. baking soda

Mash orange peel in mortar and pestle or in a bowl with the back of a spoon. Stir all ingredients together. If possible, put in blender until powdered. Place 2 rounded teaspoons in cup for each 6 to 8 ounces of water. Yield: 1 c. dry mix, or enough to make 20 cups at 40 calories each; 17 calories if powdered sweetener is used.
    ---------------------

Cafe Francaise

1/4 c. sugar
    1-1/4 c. non-fat dry milk powder
    1/8 t. baking soda

Stir ingredients together. If possible, put in blender until powdered. Place 2 rounded t. in cup for each 6-8 ounces of water. Yield: 1 cup dry mix. Enough to make 20 cups at 25 calories each: 20 calories if powdered sweetener is used.
    --------------------

Italian Mocha Espresso
    1 c. instant coffee granules
    1 c. sugar
    4-1/2 c. non-fat dry milk powder
    1/2 c. cocoa
    1/2 t. baking soda

Stir ingredients together. If possible, put in blender until powdered. Use 2 T. for each 4 ounces of water (serve in a small demitasse cup). Yield: 4-1/2 c. dry mix. Each mix to make 36 cups at 60 calories each. This is a VERY strong and rich coffee. Artificial sweetener is not recommended for this recipe.
    -----------------

Cave Vienna

2/3 c. sugar
    2/3 c. non-fat dry milk powder
    1/2 t. cinnamon
    1/8 t. baking soda

Stir ingredients together. If possible, put in blender until powdered. Place 2 rounded teaspoons in cup for each 6-8 ounces of water. Yield: 1 cup dry mix. Enough to make 20 cups at 35 calories each; 12 calories if powdered sweetener is used.
    ----------------

Swiss Mocha

1/2 c. sugar
    2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/8 t. baking soda

Stir ingredients together. If possible, put in blender until powdered. Place 2 rounded teaspoons in cup for each 6-8 ounces of water. Yield: 1 cup dry mix. Enough to make 20 cups at 40 calories each; 17 calories if powdered sweetener is used.
    ------------

Mexican Cocoa

1-1/2 c. sugar
    4-1/2 c. non-fat dry milk powder
    1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 t. cinnamon
    1/2 t. baking soda
    1/2 c. instant coffee granules (optional)

Stir ingredients together, if possible, put in blender until powdered. Use 3 T. for each 8 ounces of water. Yield: 4-1/2 c. dry mix. Enough to make 24 cups at 105 calories each; 70 calories if powdered sweetener is used.
    ------------------------------

Whipped Topping using non-fat dried milk powder

1/2 c. ice water
    1 T. lemon juice
    1/2 c. dry milk powder
    1/2 c. sugar

Mix ice water and dry milk. Whip until soft peaks form. Add lemon juice and continue to beat until the peaks are firm. Add the sugar. Refrigerate and use in a short while. It can be dropped in servings on an open tray and frozen. Package and keep frozen until it is used. For a creamy tint, add 1 or 2 drops of yellow food coloring. About 10 calories per tablespoon; makes about 3 cups.
    ------------------

Strawberry Fluff (using Whipped Topping recipe above)

1 10-oz. package frozen strawberries, thawed OR 1-1/2 c. fresh sliced strawberries
    1/2 t. unflavored gelatin, softened in 1/2 c. cold water
    2 c. whipped dry milk topping (above)

Soften the gelatin in the cold water and heat to dissolve. Drain the berries. Add enough water to the juice to make 1/2 cup. Mix dissolved gelatin and juice. Chill until mixture is consistency of unbeaten egg white. Add strawberries and whip until light and fluffy. Combine whipped dry milk topping and strawberry mixture. Chill until mixture mounds in the spoon. Place in dessert dishes and refrigerate until served. 6 servings, 1/2 cup each. 90 calories per serving.
    --------------------------

Orange Whipped Topping

1/2 c. instant non-fat dried milk powder
    1/2 c. ice cold orange juice
    2 T. orange marmalade

Chill electric beaters and a small mixer bowl. Place non-fat dry milk powder and orange juice in chilled bowl. Beat on highest speed until stiff (4-5 minutes). Fold in orange marmalade. Serve at once (nice as a topping on a snack cake). Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

Pineapple Whipped Topping

1/2 c. ice cold unsweetened pineapple juice
    2-3 T. powdered sugar

Chill electric beaters and a small mixer bowl. Place non-fat dry milk and pineapple juice in chilled bowl. Beat on highest speed until stiff (4-5 minutes). Fold in powdered sugar. Serve at once. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

Lemon Whipped Topping

1/2 c. ice water
    3 T. lemon juice
    4-5 T. powdered sugar

Chill electric beaters and a small mixer bowl. Place non-fat dry milk powder and ice water in chilled bowl. Beat on highest speed until soft peaks form (3-4 minutes). Add lemon juice. Beat until stiff (3-4 minutes longer). Fold in powdered sugar. Serve at once. Makes about 3-1/2 cups. Great on gingerbread.
    --------------------------

Snacks/Treats/Candy Using powdered milk.

Logs

1 c. honey (or agave nectar if avoiding high-glycemic sweeteners)
    1 c. peanut butter
    1 c. wheat germ
    1 c. raisins
    1 c. oatmeal (lightly toasted
    1/2 c. chopped pecans
    1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
    1/2 c. sesame seeds (OR kasha)
    1 c. (or more) graham cracker crumbs

Combine all ingredients except graham cracker crumbs in large bowl; mix well. Shape into 2-inch logs. Roll in graham cracker crumbs. Yield: 24 logs.

Honeys

1 c. chunky peanut butter
    1 c. honey (OR agave nectar for a low-glycemic sweetener)
    1-1/2 c. crushed wheat CHEX cereal
    60 whole wheat CHEX
    2 c. crushed rice CHEX cereal

Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl; mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Press 1 whole wheat Chex into each ball. Roll in crushed rice cereal. Chill, covered, for 2 hours. Yield: 6- snacks.

Peanut Butter Snacks

1/2 c. peanut butter
    1/2 c. honey (OR agave nectar for a low-glycemic alternative)
    1 c. toasted wheat germ
    2 T. non-fat dry milk powder
    1/2 c. raisins (OR currants, OR dates, Or other dried fruit)
    1/2 c. unsweetened coconut

Combine peanut butter, honey, wheat germ and dry milk powder in bowl; mix well. Stir in fruit. Shape into balls. Roll in coconut, coating well. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Yield: 15 snacks.

Microwave Treats

3/4 c. peanut butter
    1/4 c. honey (OR agave nectar)
    3 T. butter
    1/2 c. non-fat dried milk powder
    1/2 c. sunflower seeds (shelled - raw or roasted - your choice)
    1/3 c. sesame seeds
    1/3 c. crushed cereal (flakes - bran or cornflakes, or Chex, etc.)
    1/4 c. chopped dried apricots (OR other dried fruit of choice)
    2/3 c. unsweetened coconut

Microwave peanut butter, honey and butter in 1-1/2-quart glass casserole on HIGH until melted. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Shape into balls. Roll in coconut. Chill for 3 hours. Yield: 30 snacks.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Grainlady :
    By Jove! you have done it. I'll send you a Gold Star.
    Now I have a few more things to try.
    And gain a couple more pounds.

The White Sauce,with Cheese sounds like something I would put on Spaghetti.
    Something like Alfredo ? think I'll try that one first,
    with simmered chopped Sausage,
    added with the Brocolli.

I think you should be complimented for your efforts, with the Senior Citizens.

Lou

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Drink it!

The only milk I had as a child was powdered skim milk. It didn't taste so bad until I tasted the real, full fat version. Now I prefer half and half in too many things-hehe.

Judy

• lowspark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, grainlady, thanks for all those recipes! I agree with Lou on commending you for your work with senior citizens!

Judy,
    LOL, actually, that's just what I'm trying to avoid doing. I drink milk every morning (I don't drink coffee) and even tho I go for the low fat stuff, it's real milk. The idea of reconstituting the powder just doesn't appeal to me. That's why I'm looking for ways to use it up in cooking.

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

hawk307 and lowspark -

Many thanks for the kind words. ;-) Classes at the Sr. Center are fun, especially if I design a class around BINGO (LOL)!

We've used commercial non-fat dry powdered milk since 1971, and switched to a whey-based milk substitute in 1981 when we discovered our then 4-year old son was lactose intolerant, so I've always used a powdered milk product in all cooking/baking and drinking and do so to this day because it's cheaper than milk.

-Grainlady

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Do you have a dog? Or a friend with dogs? Most dog biscuit recipes call for a cup of powdered milk.

Jo

• cookie8
    15 years ago

Add to smoothies for extra calcium.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

Give some to a seed collector. I save seeds from my heirloom veggies and make a small packet of dry milk powder from a folded piece of paper towel stapled together (not taped as there are gases in tape). The little packet goes into the baggie or glass jar with the seeds. It keeps the seeds dry as it absorbs the moisture first, before the seeds do.

Nancy

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Grainlady:
    You are welcome. Anyone doing things like that, deserve some recognition.

I've kidded around with you before but you are always so serious.
    I think that's the first time I saw you smile.
    You look a lot Prettier when you do.
    Lou
    PS: Did I make your day ?

• althetrainer
    15 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of recipes there! I get my powdered milk in a seal can. The label says good for two years. I can never have too much of dry milk. I use it to make yogurt, energy bars, baking, make sauce and frozen dessert, and even homemade granola. I just love it!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio