SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

One more bird photo; Common Redpolls

caroline94535
11 years ago

Here are a few more of my winter visitors, Common Redpolls; they are lively little creatures. Sometimes there are dozens of them gleaning food from the ground under the feeder tree.

There are three redpolls on the feeder, plus a male and female crossbill. I believe the fluffy feathery bum is another female crossbill, but it's hard to tell.

They love the black oil sunflower seeds and suet, but I've not seen them eating the peanuts.

Here's a description from Cornell Lab...

"As energetic as their electric zapping call notes would suggest, Common Redpolls are active foragers that travel in busy flocks. Look for them feeding on catkins in birch trees or visiting feeders in winter. These small finches of the arctic tundra and boreal forest migrate erratically, and they occasionally show up in large numbers as far south as the central U.S. During such irruption years, redpolls often congregate at bird feeders (particularly thistle or nyjer seed), allowing delightfully close looks.

I don't offer thistle in a feeder then can access, but they can sure scarf down the BOSS. It's high in fat and all the feeder birds seem to prefer it. I offer it in different types of feeders to suit they preferences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Lab of Orinthology, Common Redpoll page

Comments (7)