SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Outward bound type programs for young adults?

Sueb20
9 years ago

I'm hoping not to get into too much detail here, partly because it's just such a long and involved story, but I'm wondering if any of you (or someone you know) has had any experience with Outward Bound type experiences. I wonder if my 22 yo DS would benefit. I was looking at the Wingate Wilderness Program online, which seems more therapy-based. That is what he needs, though he isn't a substance abuser so we aren't looking for that angle. He has a superior verbal IQ but some significant processing issues, which he has learned to hide quite well by building up "defenses." He is sort of aimless, is already engaged in therapy 1-2x/week, living at home after a disastrous attempt to live on his own (with roommates), dropped out of college after one semester and has had 3 jobs in the past 18 months -- two of which he quit, one from which he was fired. There's a lot more to the story but that gives you a general sense of where we are. Everything seems to be one step forward, two steps back. Just thinking now that while it seems like we have tried everything (and are continuing), the wilderness type program isn't something we had considered.

Any experiences?

Comments (40)