SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Is biscotti dough supposed to be so sticky?

netla
16 years ago

I made biscotti today for the first time, and in the instructions it said to dump the dough out onto a floured surface and divide it into two loaf shapes, but the dough was so gluey and sticky that I ended up forming it into one rough big loaf and then had to scrape a thick layer of it off my hands. The raw loaf looked like a misshapen lump of lava, but it baked up looking like biscotti should, and tastes good. I'm just wondering about the stickiness - is it normal? (If I make this recipe again, I think I will oil my hands before I start handling the dough).

This is the recipe:

Almond, orange and cardamom biscotti

2 eggs

155 g (2/3 cup) firmly packed soft brown sugar

125 g (1 cup) self-rising flour (or 1 cup plain flour and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt)

90 g (3/4 cup) plain flour

125 g (1 1/4 cups) almonds

1 tbs finely grated orange zest

1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F), or lower temperature as indicated for convection ovens. Line a baking tray with baking paper.

Beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Sift the flours into the bowl, add the almonds, zest and cardamom and mix to a soft dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, divide in two and shape into two loaves, about 5 x 20 cm (2 x 8 inches) in size.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack. When cool, cut the loaves into 1 cm (2/5 inch) slices with a serrated bread knife. The biscotti will be crumbly on the edges, so work slowly and if you can, hold the sides of the loaves as you cut.

Arrange the slices on baking trays in one layer and return to the oven for 10 minutes on each side. If the slices look like they are not completely dry when removed from the oven, donÂt worry  they will become crisp when they cool. Allow to cool before serving.

Makes about 40.

Comments (7)