SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

I need a good book!

dawnp
13 years ago

You gals all have such great advice on everything!

I'm looking for a good summer read.

Some of my recent favorites have been:

The Secret Life of Bees

The Help

My Sister's Keeper

Loving Frank

The Glass Castle

Nineteen Minutes

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (72)

• runninginplace
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beware newdawn, if a steamy novel is what you are looking for, Lolita isn't it. It is the story of a pedophile, albeit a masterpiece of mood, language and structure. Wwhen you read it, you are reading the narration of a man who is raping a little girl on a daily basis. That, to me, is not steamy, and when I re-read it a few years ago after becoming a mother to a daughter myself it was extremely hard to get through. Actually, I didn't. Couldn't finish it and was sorry I tried. My own daughter was reading it which is what brought me back. She didn't finish the book either for that matter.

You might want to check out A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick. Now, that one has some VERY steamy passages!

While I"m here I have a couple more recommendations. Yes, I am a biblio-holic :). Just finished a fantastic book, a debut novel by a former journalist. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. It's about the people who work at a fading international newspaper--really a series of chapters, each focusing on a specific character. The author did an amazing job of sketching character brilliantly and setting up situations with humor, pathos and quiet drama. HIGHLY recommend it.

Another book that would make a terrific summer read: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. An epistolary novel that manages to be sweet with depth, if that makes sense. Set in post-WWII England (hmmm, been reading a lot of those lately), it was a lovely read.

For lovers of historical novels, I recommend several recent books by Sarah Dunant including The Birth of Venus, In the Company of the Courtesan and Sacred Hearts. All very gripping, with strong women protoganists. Each is set in a distinct historical period which the author fleshes out so well. I enjoyed every one.

In the mystery/suspense genre, I've found another terrific series that started with the novel Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin. What a premise-the heroine is a woman educated in medical/forensic techniques that existed in the middle ages, which is the time frame for the books. She actually solves mysteries set in medieval England. Hard to describe but REALLY entertaining series! There are 4 out now including The Serpant's Tale, Grave Goods and the newest A Murderous Procession. I'm waiting on that one from the library right now.

For a completely different time/place/hero there is the Zack Chasteen series, starting with Bahamarama by Bob Morris. The second book was Jamaica Me Dead, followed by Bermuda Schwartz and then A Deadly Silver Sea and Baja Florida. Despite the cutesy titles I've really been enjoying these books. VERY light series, but for a summer beach- or pool-side fun read they are great. Zack is a former football player turned quasi-investigator who solves mysteries set mostly in Florida and the Caribbean, helped by his girlfriend Barbara. I'm a sucker for tropical ambiance and these certainly fit the bill.

I also forgot to mention a couple of memoir/foodie books that I read recently that others might like. Lunch in Paris: A Love Story with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard. Very sweet and interesting book about an American woman who marries a Frenchman, lives in Paris and explores not only the gastronomic side of France but the cultural and social aspects too. A related though not identical book is Keeping the Feast: One Couple's Story of Love, Food, and Healing in Italy by Paula Butturini. Two journalists living in Rome after some tragic setbacks in their personal lives. I read these almost back-to-back and they were interesting 'bookend' experiences.

A book that I really liked a lot: The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin. Whew! This one was more thought-provoking than I thought it would be when I started it. Definitely gave me some good insights into the topic, and what's not to love about that!?

• hhireno
    13 years ago

Ann,
    You are a treasure trove of book ideas, thank you. I stocked up on many of the titles from your first list so I'm set for this week of hot & humid weather. The above titles will be added to my list for my next library run.
    Jean

• Related Discussions

Books

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Busy,....before the night is out I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions beyond the obvious of the book section at Lowes and Home Depot....which by the way are worth a look. My suggestion is after you get the names of the books the others suggest you go to Amazon.com and type in used books and then click ongardening. There shipping is 3.99 and alot of the books can be had for as little as .01 cent plus shipping of course . Check it out.... you'll be glad you did. Each seller rates the books condition like fair or good or very good etc. I've been very happy with everything Ive bought from them.
    ...See More

I need a good book........

Q

Comments (47)
    I also read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and while I admire his wordcraft (albeit in translation) I will not read the rest-too graphically violent for my sensitivities. Others in my book club were not of the same mind, though, so maybe I am overly squeamish. So be it. I read to be entertained, not horrified. I am watching with interest the legal battle between his long-time but never legally married companion and his father and brother over the estate. So far, the father and brother have been awarded the $$, supposedly against Larsson's stated but not written down (!!!!a writer who did not make a will-astounding!!!!) wishes.....but she has his computer, and there is a rumor that on that computer is the 4th of his planned (I think)10 books in the series. Hope she printed it out and lodged it safely with an attorney....computers have a way of meeting with accidents. I am sure somewhere there is a book being written based on all this! Carolyn-I took an art class in college that covered most of the famous artwork across many cultures. For part of the final, we each chose a manila envelope from a table at the entrance, and had to write a blue book about the picture inside-who did we think painted it, style, technique, subject matter, etc. I studied harder for this final than any other that semester, since it could be any picture by any artist we studied. Mine was God's finger touching Adam's hand.
    ...See More

Need a Good Book Recommendation

Q

Comments (44)
    Totally agree with the suggestion of the Kite Runner. Another book by the same author, A Thousand Splendid Suns is excellent. . I have also enjoyed books by Lisa See. She writes about the lives of young Chinese women. Her first book, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan tells the story of footbinding in China, fascinating story. The House on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (the lives of Japanese Americans as we entered WW2). The Invention of Wings (Susan Monk Kidd) also wrote The Secret Life of Bees. Always look forward to the suggestions here....
    ...See More

I need a good book............

Q

Comments (14)
    yoyo, I don't think I can recommend anything to you but I will agree about the 'Essex Serpent' which was much over-hyped here a couple of years ago and was up for various 'awards'. I felt the story had way too many 'strands' none of them either very believable or interesting and lacked the essential 'Victorian' feel . . . plus had I been from Essex I would not have been happy that the author felt people from that county were then all half-wits.
    ...See More
  • newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks runningplace you are a walking library, my goodness. Thanks for the recommendation of A Reliable wife, I'm going to Amazon.com, oh yeah.

.....Jane

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is a southern novel I greatly enjoyed this winter,
    shortly after finishing The Help. It's a tale that's both humorous and tragic and gripping.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

newdawn, you should read the reviews for A Reliable Wife before deciding to buy it, very enlightening... and diverse opinions.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Highly recommended:

"Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen -- very similar in story and feel to Practical Magic.

Loved it!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I just finished 'Hawaii' (it's actually spelled with an accent mark somewhere in the title) by the author of 'Molokai'. Both fantastic books but I think I liked Molokai a bit more.

I also love anything written by Harlan Coben. Also, Joy Fielding. Jodi Picoult, Anita Shreve, and probably my favorite, Elizabeth Berg.

Oh, and Wally Lamb! I have loved his books. The last one (about Columbine) a little less so, but the first two were so great.

And now I have a list for my summer reading! I read a ton of books in the summer. In fact, DH is taking the kids to our town pool shortly and I plan to sit in my air-conditioned house and read a book! (Just started the new one by Jennifer Weiner -- I like her a lot too.)

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I don't read a lot of books; last book I read that I enjoyed was Tori Spelling's 2nd book. I'll be picking up her 3rd book when I see it.

I ran into a lady at the doctors office last week, she had a Kindle & said she loved it. She'd gotten it as a gift from her hubby & said it wasn't something she would have bought for herself but now that she has it, she reads everything on it.

• golddust
    13 years ago

If it weren't for my love of 1st editions and my new library, I might consider a Kindle. It makes sense ecologically but I love seeing walls of books.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks Mitch, that was so sweet of you to put this on. I will read them directly before purchasing the book, thanks so much.

Sueb20--I read both Wally Lamb's books years ago. And "She's come undone" still is one of my favorite novels, wonderful story.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas, I've added a few books to my hold list at the library. I recently read Innocent by Scott Turow and loved it. It kept me wondering until the very end.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you, I went to Amazon today and bought about 7 books! This board is always costing me money...

I have a Kindle. Or I used to. I can't find it anywhere! I had put it aside because something malfunctioned and I was too busy to get on the phone with Amazon, and now -- it's gotta be somewhere in this house but I can't find it. I still haven't told DH, since he's the one who bought it for me. I like(d) it, but I do still like the feel of a real book in my hand... in the same way, I guess, that I can't bring myself to use any kind of electronic datebook/calendar! I need the old fashioned pen and paper method!

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

OK, so most of my suggestions have already been mentioned, but I do have a couple more.
    "Luncheon of the Boating Party" by Susan Vreeland. If you love art like I do, you might enjoy this wonderful historic novel of Pierre Auguste Renoir during the conception and painting of his incredible "Luncheon of the Boating Party", and the close group of friends (and lovers) who helped to make this breakout Impressionistic painting of his happen. It was a much-loved Summer read of mine last year that I'll definitely read again.

At the moment, I'm reading, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert and am loving it!
    Lynn

• denali2007
    13 years ago

runninginplace

I am one of five sisters also so that will be a must read for me. I love sister books!

Thanks everyone for your recs.

Two authors that I adore are Adriana Trigiani and Mary Alice Monroe. Loved her Beach House and the sequel. Just finished Time is a River.
    Trigiani's books are Very Valentine, Queen of the Big Time and Lucia Lucia. She also has a series of 4 books but I haven't read those.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I'm one of 5 sisters too! No brothers.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

I'm one of 5 sisters! Who knew it was so common?!

I just finished reading You were always Moms favorite - very enjoyable, quick read, and you will definitely see yourself & your sisters in there.

Naturally, I thought gee, we don't have any of those issues. I mentioned it to DH and he just raised his eyebrows at me. Hmm, okay, maybe we do have a few miscommunications every once in awhile.

But I'm the middle sister, linking the others together, I only remember the good things.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

I'm also one of 5 sisters . . . with four brothers, as well! We should start a Five Sisters Club ;^D
    Lynn

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    13 years ago

I recently discovered the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Some have been around awhile but they are kinda historical fiction with action, adventure, a touch of sci-fi and some good romance. The first 3 books are great, books 4 and 5 are skippable but books 6 and 7 I found to be worth reading.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago

Did someone mention "sister" books?? I just finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I did also read The Help recently and liked it too. Sudden aversion to chocolate pie notwithstanding :)

Lynne, "Luncheon of the Boating Party" by Susan Vreeland sound intriguing! I'm going to log-on at my library and reserve that one. Thanks!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

My little library in town (former blacksmith)has a book club that I considered joining. But they read a lot of detective books, not my thing.

I was thinking (just thinking) about putting up a sign in the library to see who wants to join my book club. Does a book club need a name? And I don't want a bunch of women with hair nets showing up or should it matter? It would be nice if I could get some older hipper women with similiar interests and make some new friends, killing two birds sort of speak.

....Jane

My library..

{{gwi:1514848}}

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Jane-I LOVE your library!! As for a book club, I say go for it. Put up a sign and see what happens. I got invited to join a book club about a year ago, after longing to be part of one for a long time. Has been a terrific experience. I love that the assigned book usually sparks a deeper discussion. I've also read books that I never would have chosen myself.

And who knew how many sister clusters we had here?! My sisters are my rock, my sorority, my best friends. We are tight-tight-tight with each other. In fact we refer to ourselves as 'The Sisters'. 4 out of the 5 of us live here in South Florida, and the 5th is in Central Florida so not too far away. All our spouses/partners know that when we get together we create our own little circle of socializing. We have our special jokes, stories, even words that if said by one the others will laugh at. We make each other laugh in a way nobody else can. It is like having a group of best friends that you've known all your lives. we all say that we don't have friends, we have sisters. One of mine turns a zero birthday this year and we're trying to organize a first-ever sister weekend getaway. We've got so much to celebrate: one sister just marked ten years cancer free. One just celebrated a year of sobriety. One finished seminary and landed a dream job. I've got both my kids launched in college and my son just landed a scholarship that includes a guaranteed job at graduation. Can't wait to spend time with my sisters with no guilt about neglecting husbands, other relatives and kids as we gab and laugh and reminisce.

• wodka
    13 years ago

I am also one of five sisters, one brother. What stories I could tell - ha.

I have read quite a few of the same books as most of you. Finally read "Water for Elephants" after putting it off for about a year. Once I got into it, I could not put it down. Can't wait for the movie!

I have one recommendation to add - "In the Sanctuary of Outcasts" by Neil White. It recently came out in paperback. It was also one of those that I read in two days. Here is a brief review:

From Publishers Weekly:
    "Following conviction for bank fraud, White spent a year in a minimum-security prison in Carville, La., housed in the last leper colony in mainland America. His fascinating memoir reflects on the sizable group of lepers living alongside the prisoners, social outcasts among the motley inmate crew of drug dealers, mob types and killers. Narrating in colorful, entertaining snapshots, White introduces the reader to an excellent supporting cast in his imprisonment: Father Reynolds, the peerless spiritual monk; Mr. Flowers, the no-nonsense case manager; Anne, the sorrowful mother with leprosy whose baby was taken from her arms; and Ella the Earth Mother, with wisdom to spare. Brisk, ironic and perceptive, White's introspective memoir puts a magnifying glass to a flawed life, revealing that all of life is to be savored and respected."

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Running-- you have great taste in books (not unlike my own!)

If you like spy stories or know someone who does, I highly recommend Charles McCarry's works. He has recurring characters, not a lot of blood and gore, and the events are timely.

I'm also very fond of Elaine Dundy's The Dud Avocado, Patrick Hamilton's novels about London, and Olivia Manning's Balkan and Levant Trilogies.

The New York Review of Books has been re-issuing unsung classics, and I've been devouring the whole series.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I'd like to add Memoirs of a Geisha and Life of Pi to this wonderful list, many of which I've enjoyed. I just started reading Snowball - Warren Buffet's biography; so far, so good.

I am sooo jealous of all you sisters out there. I've wanted a sister my whole life...just one would do, but four or five would be glorious! Four younger brothers just aren't the same as having even one sister, in my imagination anyway.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I wish I had a sister too! I have a DSIL who is as close as I am ever going to get to having a sister. Also, the up side of DSIL is no "sister drama" that I hear from friends who have sisters. While we are "sisters" by marriage, DSIL is a woman I'd want as a friend even if we weren't SILs. I have other SILs that I wish were more like sisters, but they aren't. They are lovely women, just not the same as the "sister-like" relationship I have with DSIL. I am so grateful for all of my SILs. Each one brings something special to our family.

Yep, while brothers are wonderful, but they are not the same as sisters.

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Speaking of sisters, being one of 5 has been such a joy for me . . . once we all got out of our teens, that is ;^D.
    Like Runninginplace, mine are my best friends aand my rocks. DH, DD & I were just with them all at our family reunion week, on Lake Huron in Michigan. We love to laugh, shop, chat and joke with one another and I love their company. Three still live near where we grew up in Michigan; one lives outside Atlanta with her family and I've been here in New Mexico for the past 27 years. I'd move back in a heartbeat, though, if DH would, but that's not going to happen. Luckily I have three great SIL's, too, one of which is like another sister to me, but they live north of Denver. Sisters are special. I wish DD had one.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Wodka, I've got 'In the Sanctuary of Outcasts' waiting for me at the library right now--great minds, eh?!

And idee, when I opened the link I immediately saw a book I'd heard about and been intrigued by. It's not available at my library, so I went on Amazon and ordered 'The Long Ships'. It should be here Wednesday. I'm hoping that might make a good book club nominee.

The library is my godsend. I certainly couldn't afford my book habit if I had to actually buy all the books I want! There is a 50-book limit and right now I'm at 49. And in the interest of full disclosure, not only are my sisters my best friends we are ALL reading addicts. Not only are we all readers, but one of my sisters is a librarian, and another is the director of online services for her county library system. Part of her job is to do the weekly online reading referral 'zine. Yes, she gets paid to read books. Dream job doesn't begin to describe that does it?! Anyway, they and my other sisters have tons of referrals for good books.

I remember once we all had to fly up to a relative's for a gathering. We each arrived at Miami airport and checked in independently. Then when we gathered to wait for the plane we realized each of us had done the same thing: checked in our luggage but kept a bag of books for the flight. After all you can survive without a toothbrush or clean undies but if you're caught without something to read, well it's all over.

Ann

• cran
    13 years ago

I am mostly a lurker here, but since I am one of 5 sisters (and 4 brothers)just had to jump in! I have read many of the listed books and have started a new list. I am on my way to the library to pick up In the Sanctuary of Outcasts I am looking forward to reading it. I just finished Cutting fo Stone by A.Verghese. It is the best book I've read this year. It's alittle hard to get into but it picks and speed to the end. Thank you all for the great suggestions.

• golddust
    13 years ago

There are great age differences between my sisters. My oldest sister is 16 years older than I am. She is certainly a wife of the 50s. She can't form an opinion unless "Skippy" says. LOL! She is great other than that and I look the most like her.

Sister #2 has been very sheltered in her own way. 11 years older than me, she is nice but isn't much interested in anyone's lives. She is always nice when I call her but she never calls me.

My middle sister is 8 years older than me and she takes the cake. All the sisters agree on this one! I haven't really talked with her in 10 years, since she had me formally investigated by the state for fraud and murder!!! (She was the one they thought was crazy, thank God!) She accused me of murdering my dear Uncle, who lived with me until my mom got so sick with cancer. He had Alzheimers and died in a nursing home at the age of 96. Because I refused antibiotics two hours before he died, she spent months calling everyone she could think of, accusing me of not having the right to refuse medication for him. Then she contacted the state and told them I mismanaged Uncle's money. (I did no such thing and I passed that investigation too.) Anyway, I drew the line at my sister accusing me of murder and launching formal investigations (She is anti-hospice.). Really, a thank you for taking care of him for years and years would have been far more appropriate. I loved that man.

My closest sister is 17 months older than I am. She is a sweetie but has trouble staying off prescription medications that take her out of her (and my) life. She has some medical issues but not as serious as the medication she takes would suggest. She was great for about a year after I forced her into rehab but she is back taking meds again (not as bad as she was but I can see the handwriting on the wall). I get bored easily talking to people who slur their words and I worry she will overdose. I really miss her when she is popping pills. I miss the three phone calls a day back and forth.

My BFF, Sandy, is my soul sister. We love each other to absolute death. There is nothing we wouldn't do for each other.

So while I am one of 5 sisters, it's not always what it seems. Maybe it's the age difference in my case. I don't know.

• hhireno
    13 years ago

Golddust - Whoa! that story is really something.

In my family, we have a running joke about starting a big rift where we'll take sides and stop talking to each other. It strikes us as funny because we all get along and none of us can remember anything long enough to hold a grudge.

So, for instance, if someone gets accidently left off an email, someone else will say "oh, this is it! the rift we've been waiting for!" Even my DH sometimes suggests that something or other "could be the start of the rift!"

My mother says it is her proudest achievement that all her kids get along & like each other so much.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I just finished Major Pettigrews Last Stand, a charming novel with the cadence and tone of Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency.
    Very enjoyable, particularly for Anglophiles.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Golddust, we also have a huge age span. I'm the oldest, although I certainly am nothing like a 50s housewife and as for forming my opinions, well Skippy ain't telling me nuthin!

My youngest sister is 14 years younger than I am. Next is 11 years younger, then 7 years younger and closest in age is 3 years behind me. Oddly enough the sister I'm closest to is the youngest! We call ourselves the bookends; we both have similar temperaments and dispositions. But each of my sisters and I connect in a different way. One is my reading and home decorating pal. The one closest in age to me is my touchstone to my youngest years and the one who makes me laugh the hardest. There is one sister that I just don't feel as close to but even she can make me smile when nobody else can.

My sisters. Couldn't live without them.

Ann

• golddust
    13 years ago

Running, you are too funny. I'd just bet "Skippy" wouldn't be telling you nuthin! I'm the sister who always answers, "I don't care what 'Skippy' thinks. I want to know what YOU think." (Bratty baby sister that I am.)

• loves2read
    13 years ago

word of caution about The Girl with the Dragan Tattoo--and the others--
    the first book has some very graphic descriptions of sexual violence and what some people might find offensive language...

it was a terrific book to me--I found all of them "white night" books--where I just stay up all night reading...

I ordered the third in the trilogy from Amazon UK just so I could read it and not wait for the US version--

have been to see the Swedish movies based on the first two books--the first one I thought was one of the best adaptations of modern book to screen version in the last 10 years or so--

subtitled, yes--but the tranlations were good and technically well done--and the cutting of material from the book to achieve a decent running time was germane and not harmful--
    the essence of the book and its characters comes through -- every scene moves the action--excellent direction/pacing/acting...

second book was more complex with several parallel threads running throughout--I enjoyed it but part of what I liked in the book involved seeing the two threads interweave--and so half of that was basically missing from the movie...but again the books are very dense and have lots of material--would be a mini-series if you kept everything...

what I am not looking forward to is the recreation of the books--at least the first one--with American cast/director...
    it is just not the right call to make Brad Pitt into Mikael Nyquist--
    just like the American version of State of Play with an over-weight, rumpled Russell Crowe playing the reporter...
    the British version with the wonderful actress Kelly McDonald and a suave Bill Nighy was top drawer...much better...

• hhireno
    13 years ago

L2R,
    I read all 3 "Girl" books and enjoyed them very much. They are intense but well worth it. I did not see the 1st movie because I didn't think I could stand to watch the sexual violence. It was hard enough to read it, I didn't want to see it also. The 2nd film is in a theater near me & I might see that one.

My Wegman's (grocery store) sold the hardback 3rd book for only $16 - not much more than Amazon + shipping. Better yet, after I mentioned that to a friend she bought it & let me read it after her.

Are they really talking about Pitt as the male lead? What a disappointment. I suppose that means Jolie will be the female lead? I think she'd be too tall & too commanding. Lisbeth is a petite, wispy thing that people underestimate. I don't know who I'd cast (since I don't see many movies I'm unfamiliar with current actors), but it wouldn't be Jolie & Pitt.

I suppose it's heretical to say, but why does it have to be known, popular actors? I mean, besides that fact they can afford to buy the rights to the story & cast themselves. Isn't the story strong enough, and popular enough, to attract an audience without using Tom Cruise (oh hell no!) or Julia Roberts (ohn again). I know, I know, it's about making money off of known goods, not taking chances. I will be curious to see how the American casting of this plays out. And I dread to see how they alter the stories.

• cran
    13 years ago

Wodka I just finished In the Sanctuary of Outcasts and I loved it. Thank you for the recommendation. I am going to suggest it to my book club. It's a book that could really generate a lot of discussion. I recently read The Heretrics Daughter, it is about a women who is accused of being a witch in the 1800's and the consequences for the famlly, it was a scary time to live!
    Another one I don't think has been mentioned is The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I would say it's a historic novel about love between a Chinese and Japanese couple.enjoyed both of these very much.

• wodka
    13 years ago

cran, I am so glad you enjoyed In the Sanctuary of Outcasts. I finally got mine back after a friend borrowed it, then shared with her brother-in-law, etc. Now my neighbor has it! It is such a beautiful, humbling story and, I agree, it would be an excellent choice for your book club!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I am reading 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. I'm in love with it!! It's hard to put down.

• wodka
    13 years ago

golddust, I loved The Help, too. They have already started filming the movie, mostly being shot in Greenwood, MS. Emma Stone will play Skeeter, Viola Davis is Aibileen, Allison Jenney is Charlotte Phelan (Skeeter's mom) and Bryce Dallas Howard is Hilly. It should be out next year - I can't wait!

• cran
    13 years ago

I agree that The Help would make a fabulous movie as would Water for Elephants. I can just see some of those circus scenes now. Our bookclub likes to go to the movies after we've read the book to compare. We also take "field trips" often to book signings. Seems they always include dinner and a glass of wine or two. Off to the library with a list. Happy reading.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

The Help is a book that is so gripping !! it's hard to get into another book after reading it. I can't wait for that author to come out with something else.

I've passed along my copy to so many people and they all have the same reaction; I didn't know they coming out with a movie.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I've just finished The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson about growing up in Des Moines in the 50s.

And by contrast, Jeannette Wall's The Glass Castle is a heartbreaking but funny book about the weirdest parents in the world.

If you like period mysteries, the series by Russian novelist Boris Akunin are wonderfully described and very interesting.

• wodka
    13 years ago

ideefixe, after seeing your post, I just read the reviews on The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid and knew I had to order it. I was born in 1950, plus my dad was raised in Des Moines. I loved our summer vacations there. And yes, my brother had the electric football game (it was a pretty stupid concept - ha.) Thanks for recommending this. I look forward to a lot of laughs and memories.

• golddust
    13 years ago

I heard 'Water for Elephants' is going to be made into a movie too. Something in my mind is saying 'Brad Pitt' but I haven't done the research so I may be totally wrong.

'Water for Elephants' audio book is also wonderful and I'm really picky about my readers. I've been reading since I was four years old and I can hate audio readers. My mind can usually conger up better characters than most readers. LOL! 'Water For Elephants' worth a second read in your car! It's discounted now and not to be missed.

• wodka
    13 years ago

Re: Water for Elephants movie - Robert Pattison is playing Jacob, Reese Witherspoon the female (Marlena?) and the guy who won the award for Inglorious Bastards plays her husband. Hal Holbrook plays the older Jacob. It should be good. People and Us Magazine have both been publishing photos on their website. Robert Pattison works for me!

• cran
    13 years ago

I will have to go to the People and Us Magazine websites..I'm excitied about the movie. I got The Ha Ha by Dave King yesterday at the library. I am only 20 pages in, but think I am going to like it. I hope someone will read Cutting for Stone by Abramham Verghese. I feel it is the best book I read this year!

• wodka
    13 years ago

ideefixe, I started reading "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" last night and am already on page 122! I started laughing out loud on the first pages, even read some to my husband. We both turned 60 this year, so definitely can relate to so much of it. Thank you for recommending it. I have been way too serious about life lately and needed a book like this. I can't wait to finish it and share it with my siblings and mom. My dad would have loved it!

Re: In the Sanctuary of Outcasts, my neighbor could not put it down and read it in two days! I think I will hold onto it, perhaps even read it again, it was that good.

• texanjana
    13 years ago

I just wanted to mention Swaptree.com for all of you voracious readers like me. I have had a great experience with it. It is a book-swapping site (there are others too). I could never afford to buy all the books I read, and the library often doesn't have the ones I want to read.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

L2Read - funny I read this thread today. It was on our local news that the guy who played James Bond (can't remember his name and I'm awful about movies/stars) is the lead in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (american version). The lead role (Lizbeth)- who plays that role - will make or break the movie, IMHO. I'm not sure who I could see playing that role.

I enjoy reading, but don't have/make alot of time for it. This time of year there are so many outdoor activities. I do so enjoy taking a book when we are out on the boat and in spring/fall when we camp, I always have something on hand to read then. Too many activities and not enough hours in the day most of the time!

In the last year, I have made time to read all 3 of the Dragon series. I will agree the first one, the sexual brutality kept me from ordering the second book for a while. It stuck with me and I wasn't sure I wanted to continue the series. Thankfully, books 2 and 3 had much less sexual violence. I don't know that I could watch a movie with that scene. The local newscaster (female) was talking about the swedish version after announcing who would play the male lead in the US version and she also said the swedish version was great and very true to the book. I hate subtitles, etc. so I won't be watching that one, but maybe the american version.

I did just recently read Janet Evonovich's latest. I love her books - very light fiction, they always make me LOL.

It will probably be fall before I read anything else, but I'm making a list of some of the suggestions here!

tina

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Will it reappear ? we can carry on now.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County