SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ferricoxide

pellet stove payback period?

ferricoxide
14 years ago

Thanks to everyone's responses regarding pellet stoves earlier.

Given people's responses, I am wondering whether getting a pellet stove really is a financially sound decision to supplement the heat pump or instead keep my money and get an electric space heater for those occasional nights when it gets really cold (this year is obviously an exception). While coal sounds attractive it sounds messy and I was also hoping to get on the low carbon bandwagon.

I've been looking at the Heating Fuel Comparison Calculator by the Dept. of Energy and based on my electric rate (11 cents/kWh), and entering the proper HSPF for the heat pump (6.4 adjusted), the cost per million BTU is $18.54. Wood pellets cost $260 a ton here (not including tax+delivery) and with a stove that gets 85% efficiency that ends up costing $17.23 per MBTU. Adding the delivery charge (around $50 I guess) to the calculation for a ton of pellets cancels out any savings. It seems pellet prices keep going up and are really just a good alternative if heating with oil or propane (or straight electric resistance heat), or if electric rates skyrocket.

However, I do wonder if one can save substantial money using a pellet stove by turning down the heat during the day and at night and then "cranking" the stove up to heat the house up fast when you get home or after waking up. Also the heat pump keeps the whole house warm when we really just need it in a few rooms (they don't connect so I could not shut off the heat pump entirely)

Or should I just stick to a space heater to stay warm on those nights when it gets into the teens? The initial outlay is obviously less. I would really like the $2000-3000 outlay for a pellet stove to pay itself back in 4-6 years to be worth the investment. Any opinions? Does adding a pellet stove add to the value of a house should I have to sell it?

Does the cost of stoves and pellet drop enough come spring/summer to make the numbers more favorable?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (8)