SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zuren

Wood vs. Corn/Pellet vs. Gas fireplaces; any one best for seconda

zuren
17 years ago

This seems to be a reoccuring topic, but I haven't found any that included gas as an option.

I'm 28 and I just moved into my first house (1400 sq. ft. ranch w/ basement) out in the country and I'm looking at installing a secondary heat source. I grew up with forced air furnace and 2 woodstoves for the weekends or power outages, but we had 20 acres of heavily wooded land. I have the problem of no trees on my lot, so wood needs to be delivered and I need to buy/maintain a chainsaw. I also need to install a chimney beyond purchasing the stove, so there is a fair amount of cost involved to do it correctly. I am younger and do want a chainsaw anyway (for cutting shooting lanes for deer hunting on my buddy's property) so the manual labor wouldn't be that bad.

Corn/pellet stoves are an interesting idea, but they seem to be pretty expensive unless you use them as a full-time heating option to get your return on investment. Install would be easy but they do not appear to work, or work very long, during a power outage. Is this correct? I also don't have the storage capacity to buy in bulk and the cost I've heard is $8/100# bag. I need to check into this more.

Probably the easiest option is a gas stove. I have propane, the pipe is T-ed off near where I would want it, I could do the rest of the pipe install (minus the hookup) myself, can install the vent myself, they work with the power out, light with a match and don't cost as much as the 2 options above. Propane will cost me between $1.44-1.69/gal. this winter but it's a petroleum product, mostly likely derived from the Middle East (not keen on this).

These are my priorities:

1. Can operate 2+ days w/ no electricity

2. Low overall cost

3. Efficient

It pains me to eliminate the corn/pellet stove as I like the idea of using a clean, renewable, non-Middle East derived product, but for something I just want there as a backup for when I'm working or entertaining in the basement, or when the power is out and I need to keep the house at a reasonable temp., the cost seems a bit much and may not suit my needs.

I'm thinking a gas stove is the way to go but is there something I'm not considering that should make me consider wood or corn/pellet more? Are their pellet/corn stoves that can operate without electricity?

Thanks!

Comments (3)