SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

When did you learn how to cook?

lowspark
14 years ago

Recently I was chatting with a young lady, 20 yo, who told me that she didn't know how to cook. I asked if her mother cooked (she does) and then wondered why she hadn't taught her daughter. She told me her mother had said, I learned how to cook when I got married, and that's when you'll learn how to cook.

This got me to wondering. My mother taught us basics of cooking when we were young. I could make cookies and brownies (THOSE are the basic essentials after all!), eggs in a couple of styles, I could boil pasta, broil or bake chicken, etc. - simple stuff. I didn't have a huge repertoire till I did get married and had to cook more often, but at least I could find my way around a kitchen and follow recipes.

My husband on the other hand has not one inkling of how to cook. His mother is a great cook but I don't think she had any interest in teaching him any of that.

My two sons (age 19 & 22) are extremely comfortable in the kitchen and both have kitchens in their college "homes" where they cook most of their meals. I got them going in the kitchen when they were young, even if it was just to measure the flour or crack an egg.

It seems to me that if you know how to cook, you ought to pass those skills on to your kids. Of course, lots of us may have had parents who didn't cook and we were stuck learning on our own anyway.

So... when did you learn how to cook?

Comments (84)